September 16, 2013

TVLogic Announces Full 1080p 5.5" LCD Field Monitor at IBC 2013

tvlogic lcd monitor viewfinderThe world of external shooting monitors is more diverse than ever. SmallHD's products alone comprise quite a range of options, sizes, and affordability. The trend seems set to continue, because TVLogic's new field LCD boasts one thing few others can -- true 1080 HD resolution. Announced just recently at IBC, the 5.5" monitor is set to accept all manner of SDI up to 3G and traditional HDMI, plus many of the display options shooters want and need. Read on for more details from TVLogic.

This news comes to us courtesy Cinema5D -- the following is from TVLogic's product details page (abridged with my emphasis):

The VFM-058W, the lightweight viewfinder monitor, offers an outstanding picture quality with 5.5” LCD, and Full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080. The VFM-058W has various features such as Max Brightness function, Temperature Adaptive Color, HDMI-to-SDI conversion output, 1:1 pixel mode, Luma(Y’) Zone Check function, DSLR Scale, Waveform, Vectorscope, Range Error, Focus Assist, Markers, Audio Level Meter with speaker and time code display.

tvlogic lcd monitor viewfinder

Aside from the aforementioned features, the VFM-058W will support pretty much any frame rate you could ever hope to throw at it through both SDI and HDMI. Full specs are available at TVLogic. Cinema5D has also shared this video:

As Andrew from TVLogic points out, the 5.5" size makes this a monitoring solution more ideal for DSLR shooters than larger chassis operators. This unit's size, color reproduction, and price -- the 058W will retail for around $1700 -- may make something like SmallHD's $1300 AC7 OLED monitor more desirable to some shooters.

That said, 1080p is pretty serious for any external monitor anywhere in this size range. 5.5" is also pretty damn portable, so if you're a micro-form factor kind of shooter, for whom every ounce or inch counts, this may be something to consider. (The unit's weight has yet to be determined).

The price may be pretty steep for some, but if a 1:1 pixel count and small size are top priorities among your monitoring needs, the VFW-058W seems to be in a class of its own at the moment. (I mean, there is the Sony DVF-L700 -- which is a 7-incher retailing for $4500 and compatible only with the F55 and F5.) The unit should be released before the end of the year. Check out the full spec sheet and features list at TVLogic.

Link: VFM-058W -- TVLogic

[via Cinema5D]

I'd rather buy a Samurai Blade. Cost less (1295USD), is 720p (which is fine for me) and records onto media. It's a no brainer for me really.

September 16, 2013 at 2:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Darren Wolff

Unfortunately for these guys, I think they're going to find that they're way out of the price range most people have for this sort of thing. And while 1080p is nice, at that size it's going to be hard to spot the difference in resolution.

September 16, 2013 at 3:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

TVlogic doesn't really market their products to the price-conscious user. Go use a lilliput or an ikan if you can't afford it

September 16, 2013 at 8:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

john jeffries

Even though I own a SmallHD AC7 OLED I still think this monitor is very interesting. Yes it's more expensive but it offers much more features than the basic AC7 OLED (1299$). It has SDI, Vectorscope, Waveform and 1080p. I like my AC7 OLED but 1299$ for a monitor with no scope and no SDI... puts the TVlogic price in perspective.

September 16, 2013 at 3:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Well why didn't you get the smallHD OLED SDI version that's only $1599?

It puts $1700 TVLogic price in perspective, doesn't it?

I'm super happy with smallHD...except the 3 wks shy of a year wait I've been on their DP7 highbright wait list...

There is nothing that compares, price-wise...

...and the focus peaking is unbeatable by any monitor of any price.

September 20, 2013 at 3:55AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Daniel Mimura

All we need is an iPad with HDMI input. Imagine next iPad mini with Retina Display.

September 16, 2013 at 6:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Simon

Or, alternatively, something like the Convergent Design Odyssey, which will also record.

September 16, 2013 at 7:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

or the new Nexus 7/2013

September 19, 2013 at 6:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

bruper

Convergent Design 7 and 7Q. Records to SSD's. 7.7" OLED screen, Waveform, RGB Parade, Histogram, Vectorscope, Zebras, etc., etc., etc. $1295 and $2295 respectively.

September 16, 2013 at 9:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

1080p on a 5.5inch screen offers very high DPI, hope TVLogic or third party makes a loupe for the screen so you can use it as an EVF

September 17, 2013 at 12:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ash

I love using Tv logics when I'm focus pulling, and the image on them has always been better than cheaper units. For $500 I think it would be well worth it

September 17, 2013 at 3:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Stephen Rangott

Question on the outboard monitors - what sort of PPI or total resolution do you think you (will) need to easily focus a 4K camera with a S35 sensor on a shallow depth of field shot?

September 17, 2013 at 8:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

Well, I semi-successfully pulled focus using only the built in screen on my 7D while shooting a feature almost always on f1.2-2.0 on 50 and 80mm lenses.... I wouldn't say it's in any way optimal (it was handheld and I pulled my own focus while operating). But at the end of the shoot I could discern which eye of the actor was in focus...

I'd even say that you'll probably be in bigger danger of putting your whole shot in a soft sligtly off focus look if you shoot with more stepped down and wider lenses, since the difference between in focus and out of focus is less noticeable. Especially on low res monitors.

Though a more "filmic" style of shooting closer to f4.5 and slightly above. Having the whole actor in focus, not just his eye-lashes...

September 17, 2013 at 12:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I meant that I prefer a more filmic style with slightly deeper focus

September 17, 2013 at 2:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Well, considering RED's have been using crappy (but expensive) 800x480 monitors for years now...I'd say any competent AC can do the job.

Some of the good ones don't need anything but a tape measure! ha ha...

September 20, 2013 at 4:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Daniel Mimura

I really was hoping for more LCD/viewfinder options by now. Basically ALL DSLRs and larger sensor cameras out there can make use of a good external viewfinder. 5", 720p or higher res with an detachable/foldable loupe unit.
I'm opting for the Odyssey, but 7" with SSDs on my C100 will mean some serious rigging and additional weight...

September 17, 2013 at 10:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

SpartaBear

Too expensive. Too expensive. No Hdd recording? Just an external monitorfor half the prie of a DSRL? WHo do they think will consider this? As I said before I wait for a Galaxy note or Ipad with HDMI input.

September 20, 2013 at 2:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

florin filimon

somebody turns the camera off !!!
it's still rolling :)