November 21, 2013

Finally, a Professional-Level Matte Box That's Actually Affordable!

ClearView Matte BoxMatte boxes are fantastic filmmaking tools for a multitude of reasons. They allow you to have pinpoint control over the light that hits your lens (which is a must for discerning cinematographers). They make the process of incorporating optical filters into your setup so much easier and more practical than screw-on filters ever could. So why aren't matte boxes more prevalent in low-budget filmmaking? Well, the good ones are ridiculously expensive, and the ones that are more affordable are terribly-built and sadly lacking in the features that serious filmmakers need.

[Update 3]: The Kickstarter has been cancelled. Here is the message from the creators:

We are having issues with our manufacturer, and we have decided to cancel the project until our concerns are resolved. We decided to cancel now so that no ones cards were charged, and so that our backers did not face delays following the close of the campaign. Look for updates in the future concerning a re-launch.

[Update 2 -- Editor's Note]: We feel that the other matte boxes are just too similar and the amount of parts that are being taken off the shelf doesn't really warrant a crowdfunding campaign. At this point you can find plenty of models that have similar features and should function the same.

[Update]: We have found several variations on this product from various resellers. First, there's the Supamods Carbon Fiber Matte Box, which is on sale for $299. Then there is the Camtree Carbon Fiber Matte Box, which is $267 on eBay.

I spoke with Alex from Intellytech about the similarities between the ClearView MatteBox and these other products, and he assured me that the ClearView is being manufactured with several key design changes (including higher quality materials and mounting points) and with much stricter quality control measures. Also, based on the specs from these various manufacturers, the ClearView is significantly lighter than the other two by 300 grams.

And here's a quick look at some of the reasons why you most-definitely want a matte box on your next production:

The price on the ClearView matte box is $495 when ordered through the Kickstarter page (a limited number are available at $475). You might be saying to yourself, "You lied to us! $475 is not super affordable!" But before you get out your torches and pitchforks, let's take a step back and look at some of the other budget matte boxes that are currently on the market. You have matte boxes from companies like Cavision that are quite a bit more affordable, but they're cheaply made, and severely lacking in features. Then there are several matte boxes that sit right around $4oo that have some of the features of higher-end matte boxes, but they're mostly a mixture of cheap plastics and they're not particularly well made either.

That's where the ClearView matte box excels. Not only are the build-materials and construction top-notch, but it's fully featured and only a tad more expensive than its badly built brethren. Some of the features that have me stoked about the ClearView are the fact that it has a swing-away arm that swings back more than 90 degrees, which makes changing lenses even easier than with matte boxes that only swing out to 90 degrees. The ClearView is also height adjustable, and the filter stage that is rotatable is independent of the other filter stage, which means that you can use a polarizer alongside a grad filter of some sort. This is definitely not possible with matte boxes that force you to rotate both filter stages simultaneously.

ClearView Matte Box 4

Additionally, as a guy who loves to shoot him some handheld, I can very easily keep the weight of my rig down with this matte box. The carbon fiber/ ABS engineering plastic construction of this matte box blows away the competition in terms of weight and performance. While there might be lighter matte boxes out there, none of them are as well-built or as fully featured as the ClearView.

ClearView Matte Box 3

What do you guys think of this matte box? Let us know down in the comments!

I'd like to chime that in my experience the Kamerar matte box is cheap and not terrible. Heavy yes, and very basic (one filter tray, non-rotating, non-swing-away). But well built for the price, and does the job. Happy with the investment.

November 21, 2013 at 11:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kamerar makes some great products. I've had their follow focus for awhile, and for the price, it's an unbeatable piece of gear.

November 21, 2013 at 11:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rob Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker Freedom

I also have had great experiences with Kamerar. The low prices scared me at first but the stuff is very well made.

I have a Zacuto follow focus as well as Kamerar's follow focus and, the other day, I still reached for the Kamerar when I was packing up gear.

November 21, 2013 at 3:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Josh

November 21, 2013 at 11:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

You lied to us! $475 is not super affordable!

But it sounds good.

November 21, 2013 at 11:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rodrigo Molinsky

+1 on the Kamerar. I had my C100 go down on concrete due to a loose adjustment on a Manfrotto tripod leg, with a 70-200L on it. The Kamerar took the hit, sustained a crack in a corner which I repaired with a little epoxy. The lens and camera were fine. I love that thing.

November 21, 2013 at 11:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

November 21, 2013 at 11:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rob

I'd like to remind the author that this website named "nofilmschool" is targeted mostly to low-budget filmmaker audience. Although this price may be good for the working cinematographer, claiming that $500 is "affordable" for a mattebox to this audience is ridicilous. Hell, that's the amount which we save for months to buy a hdslr or a lens. You should always bear in mind who you are talking to before you make any claim on relative concepts like "affordability"

November 21, 2013 at 11:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Burak Soysal

Really? I didn't notice that exclusion mentioned anywhere on this site - in fact I still can't see it. And all this time I've been coming here....
/slaps forehead. Shuffles away.

November 21, 2013 at 11:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

marklondon

Affordable is a relative term. If you want professional features and professional construction in a matte box, you're usually looking at $1200 at the very least. By that definition, this matte box is incredibly affordable.

Also, as I mentioned in the article, there are much cheaper alternatives. They just lack the features and build quality of this one.

November 21, 2013 at 11:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rob Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker Freedom

$500 is affordable for a good matte box. Bottom line. This is how expensive this industry is - not all items are ownable for all users. Rentals exist for a reason.

November 21, 2013 at 12:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

alex

Ummm... Not every article is going to appeal to you. Would you protest an article about the 5D Mark III simply because it's less affordable than a used t2i?

November 21, 2013 at 12:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Michael

I agree that even $300 isn't "affordable" to most. I've noticed almost everything on this site is in that range or higher, and I have the same sentiment as Burak. BUT I would also like to remind everyone, that not all of this shit is necessary. A great film can still be made without it.

November 21, 2013 at 4:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sbsk

Robert, let me paraphrase you
'The price on the ClearView matte box is $495 when ordered through the Kickstarter page (a limited number are available at $475). You might be saying to yourself, “You lied to us! $475 is not super affordable!”'

That's right, that's exactly what I said :)

This unit may be well-priced.
This unit may be the best-priced one in its quality segment.
But it is not "affordable" to the most of the crowd at nofilmschool.com
Trust me, I have been hanging around here for a while. I know.
Apparantly, the author knows that too.

I am protesting that "the truth is stretched" by the author in the title in order to draw more attention.

For example, let me say that Arri Alexa is a wonderful camera. It deserves the price it's sold/rented for. I would use it if I could afford it. But it's not affordable neither to me nor to the most people hanging on this website. If I hear someone here claiming here at nofilmschool that "alexa is affordable", I'd protest him, too. That's what I am trying to say.

November 21, 2013 at 4:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Burak Soysal

Exactly, affordable is not relative to any other prices (them being $10,000 or $500) because at the end of the day I can afford it and it's extremely expensive. Maybe a better title would have been: "Yet another matte-box priced averagely that matches most other matte-boxes in this price range except this one is on kickstarter"

November 21, 2013 at 9:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tyler

[end of the day I *can't* afford it]

November 21, 2013 at 9:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tyler

You can get the same Mattebox here for much cheaper.

48 HOUR FLASH SALE!
Pro Carbon Fiber Matte Box for $299 + Free International Shipping!

November 21, 2013 at 11:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I just saw that this morning, and it has me a bit confused. Who's the supplier of these matte boxes?

November 21, 2013 at 11:50AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rob Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker Freedom

More interested at $299, but I HATE donut rings - what's great about the Kamerar is the 'nuns knickers'. Non-rotating's a non-starter for me though.

November 21, 2013 at 11:56AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

marklondon

Yeah, for me it's a combination of non-rotating and non-swing away that makes the Kamerar a no-go for me. I can live with only having a single stage.

November 21, 2013 at 12:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rob Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker Freedom

The swing-away can be a US$40 fix with a Lanparte Swing Clamp.

I got nothing on the "non-rotating". :)

I'm actually using a 4x4 filter plate to 82mm round filter adapter on the Kamerar, works great for my purposes and good 82mm filters tend to be much cheaper than 4x4 size.

November 21, 2013 at 1:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Also, lens donuts are the devil, pure and simple.

November 21, 2013 at 12:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rob Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker Freedom

What's do bad about them...?
Honestly...I like donuts.

November 21, 2013 at 6:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sammy

I don't think they are the same matte boxes. They look similar, but the ClearView is 300 grams lighter. That is over half a pound weight difference!

November 21, 2013 at 12:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

ChrisF

Great find! Definitely considering making an order and switching from my current plastic matte box. Would be nice dealing with a company in the USA when it comes to customer support and getting replacement parts (if ever needed). Thanks for the post!

November 21, 2013 at 12:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Bob T

As others have posted, this thing has been around for a while:

For Camtree to pass this off as an original Kickstarter project is a complete sham.

November 21, 2013 at 1:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Herb

We are looking into it.

November 21, 2013 at 1:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rob Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker Freedom

I think you are being unfair about this item. Many companies out source production and produce products out of the country, this allows manufacturers to sell similar items to many companies. All of the other sellers are either in China or India making warranties a joke and worthless! This company is in America and has brought a decent product at a good price for film makers. To be fair how many items are now sold to resellers without the maker telling them or selling similar items from the same molds? It is also interesting that half of the people complaining are promoting their own companies in their posts, do you think that is right?

November 22, 2013 at 11:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brandon

Again, this is a kickstarter campaign, if it's exactly what you say ten try should just go straigy to market. In actuality it's a rip off of a rip off (if it's being made in America) or more likely its just an over priced knock off wig a case

November 22, 2013 at 2:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Anthony Brown

This looks 1/1 identical to the Camtree Mattebox manufactured over in India: http://www.thecinecity.com/eshop/CAMTREE-MB-20-CF-Swing-Away-wide-angle-...

Down to the molding of the carbon fiber...and you can get it for under $300! Shame on them.

November 21, 2013 at 1:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Even the case is the same!! The is exploitation is cringeworthy.

November 21, 2013 at 1:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

That's because it is the exact same as the camtree. Camtree (Proaim, cinecity, etc.) sell to other companies that re-brand them all the time!!

November 21, 2013 at 9:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

James H.

Indi Systems has a nice one I've used for a few years now for $399. Fits two 4x4 filters and it rotates.

November 21, 2013 at 1:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

John

That video was painful.

November 21, 2013 at 2:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jim

I bought a $125 dollar matte box recently that has spots for two 4x4 filters, one that rotates. Prices are really coming down for this kind of gear lately as more people are buying and it becomes less specialized.

November 21, 2013 at 2:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I have a cheap and cheerful Fotga matte box, two stage with seperate rotating tray, can be mounted upside down easily (as it comes with extra top flag mounring) and it came with a side rail mounting and rods for mounting a handle or monitor arm, it also is a swing away design. It was about £100 delivered. My filters on the other hand are Skier IR and cost quite a bit more than the matte box and the Hollywood Blackmagic filter I hope to get this month is also more than my matte box and in sure someone will point out that my Skiers are not a premium brand ND filter, you see I don't have the money to buy an expensive matte box and the filters that I need it for, something has to be compromised and you know what a cheap matte box makes more sense than cheap filters. Why pay $500 for this if budget is an issue? You'll be paying the same for the filters?

Another over hyped, nofilmschool post. You talk about feature set but it's pretty standard, it's not a 3 stage design, feature extra mounting points or even supplied with a skirt (from what I've seen?). Why are you going nuts over this to feature it as a stand alone post?

November 21, 2013 at 2:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Anthony Brown

Are you shooting DSLR in H264 with stills lenses?
That Blackmagic filter not too heavy a diffusion for you, even in its lowest setting?
We nickname it 'the hammer' and would only use it when we're shooting Alexa with Ultra Primes/similar.
That nickname is not generally a good thing. :-)
I know that Fotga matte box. Its alright, but way too plastic for me. Also, donut rings.
I think Robert's excitement was re the carbon fibre, and I'm sorry, but decent pro MBs start at $1k+.
For my personal use I'm still looking for that perfect @$300 MB.

November 21, 2013 at 3:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

marklondon

No need to be "Sorry" Mark, you are not delivering crushing news, i'll be ok and wow!, how specific of you, when i was using DSLM's i was shooting in AVCHD and mastering to H.264, like thats important………. but more to the point, No, i want to use it on my blackmagic 2.5k camera https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153327170420276&l=13e3a6c02c using the ETTR method of exposure in Raw really doesn't make using this type of filter a problem.

I want to use the 1/8 and 1/4 hollywood blackmagic diffusion filters, i liked the results Ryan E Walters got on a stress test of the Epic, Alexa and BMCC, highlights seem to roll off nicely with a slight bloom and the BMCC is very sharp. I also like the Tiffen streak filter, if i get round to shooting a bigger budget music video i could see them coming in handy with pars.

Sorry but at this level and in context to the actual post we are both commenting on a "decent Pro MB" is not really relevant, its a knock off to start with, the video is really naff and its not cheap or pro? if i was really stepping up id be interested in Letus MCS that Shane Hurlburt helped design http://www.letusdirect.com/cart/letus-matte-box-complete-kit.html mostly down to the stacked filter trays, circular polariser and its sturdiness http://vimeo.com/47574889 but I'm not in the market for a $1200 Matte box, id rather spend good money on the filters and own a cheapo matte box, i can always hire in a decent one and use my own filters but you wouldn't hire in expensive filters to use on your cheap matte box? besides we are talking about a filter holder thats being marketed to DSLR owners (hence the video), I'm sure a cheap Fotga unit would please these types of shooters

November 21, 2013 at 4:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Oh and lenses, i personally own the Samyang Cines (24, 35, 85), two Tamron Zooms, a couple modified OM's and a few adapters (Speedbooster, 2x Extender, regular adapter for Nikon to MFT), i own an AF100 for corporate work, I'm about to sell my GH2 and i have the BMCC 2.5k MFT. I kind of sit in the middle, i don't own anything that wouldn't just be hired in on a job that would demand them i.e. i see no point in owning expensive PL lenses, i can't think of when in my career i would be better off owning lenses that cost $5000+ each as if I'm on a gig that demands them then they are more than likely being hired in. So yes i use still lenses and i hope to god you're not confessing to have bought £30Ks worth of glass??

November 21, 2013 at 4:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Wow, pretty shameless.
Maybe change the headline into something less promoting.

November 21, 2013 at 2:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

hansd

It's been hours. You need to adjust the article and change the title. Seems like a total scam from where I'm sitting, and you're just facilitating it.

November 21, 2013 at 2:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jonathan

I found a master rig with matte box, rails and follow focus for 620 bucks on ebay. It's the exact one you see from Digital Juice. It shipped from China. Oh, and it had the aluminum case too.

November 21, 2013 at 3:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

As the old adage goes: You get what you pay for.

November 21, 2013 at 3:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Robby

November 21, 2013 at 3:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

This is their "manufacturer": http://www.thecinecity.com/eshop/home.php

I know, because I worked for a lighting/camera company in Vegas, and that's where we got all of our camera support gear for resale. They will re-package and re-brand anything they sell, if you place a big enough order.

We would buy in the neighborhood of $20,000 per order and mark it up 200%+ to resell under our brand name. It worked very well, and we rarely got returns because *for the price* they are pretty darn good.

Not sure I'd exactly call it a scam, as they don't seem to be pretending they are creating it from scratch, still misleading though. Just buy from the source ;)

November 21, 2013 at 4:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

No..No...No...It is a SCAM...just as
Paralinx wireless is the same
stuff that Nyrius sells. They
alter a few nuts&bolts...just to ease
their conscience.

November 21, 2013 at 5:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sammy

November 21, 2013 at 6:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jessie

Well shipping is going to be $40-$50 for most people.

November 21, 2013 at 7:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sammy

Sorry to disappoint, but those matte boxes are not new, they are re-branded , originally made and designed by Chinese company called TILTA. I'm been using it for about two years... Now they just decided to re-brand it and sell it out outside of China. They also have a much better version, but it also cost more.

November 21, 2013 at 6:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

A lot of people on here are making some pretty far-fetched assumptions. All matte boxes share a lot of design similarities and features. This shouldn't come as much of a surprise considering that they are all made at around the same size, from the same materials, and to serve the same purposes. Just like a pen or watch you can find gigantic price differences for items that are incredibly similar to each other.

It comes down to the materials being used, the manufacturing quality / process, and the service that you will get from the manufacturer / reseller. There have been so many people on here saying that this matte box is the same as several different matte boxes. Obviously, this matte box can't be an exact copy of 5 different matte boxes.

In the manufacturing world, parts are shared. Many companies may source their carbon fiber mold or barn-doors (just to use an example) from the same place while they are making their own support / mounting structure / or filter holders (again just an example).

Its easy to think that something is an exact copy from seeing some pictures on the internet, especially of parts that are shared by numerous manufacturers but make very different products. Until your holding them in your hand and can test the quality yourself, don't be too quick to judge.

November 21, 2013 at 6:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Bob T

No...seems like every link has the EXACT same
design. Same Look...Same Material...Same Shape..
and so Same Mold....it is the exact same thing.
This is a really misleading article and title.

Kind of embarrassment for an otherwise good site.

November 21, 2013 at 7:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sammy

This is the Pro-Aim mattebox, not their's. It's been out for 2yrs now and is for $270.

November 21, 2013 at 7:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I have bought from Pro-Aim and now have a non working product that I cant use. When you buy from India the warranty is worthless because the shipping costs are 50% of the purchase price and they charge you for both ways! Just because they use similar items most of these items are similar anyhow. This company is in America and that alone makes the price difference worth it because they can either fix a broken Matte box or send you a new one something that companies in China or India refuse to do most of the time.

November 22, 2013 at 11:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brandon

So they need more money to order more matte boxes which they re-sell at a mark-up?
HEY EVERYONE, COME FUND THIS BUSINESS AND GET RIPPED OFF TOO!

November 21, 2013 at 9:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tim

November 21, 2013 at 9:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

and TILTA took original design from RED one....

November 21, 2013 at 9:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

Pro-Aim or Camtree did not have this type of mattebox two years back., I can assure you 100%.

November 21, 2013 at 9:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

All those matteboxes are made in China not India or America.

November 21, 2013 at 9:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

well there you go.... hope now it is all clear :)

now there will be lots of re-branded DSLR video products flooding the market as every second person wants make movies., it is emerging market, and for some it is an opportunity to make some $$$.

November 21, 2013 at 10:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

just feel bad for all those people on a kickstarter, who gave their money, I think they are been ripped off...

November 21, 2013 at 10:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

The people who bought these matte boxes are not getting ripped off, as you said many items are private labeled and sold by many companies. Do you think that the producers of the Matte box has told everyone that they are selling to others? All companies sell their items at prices based on their purchase cost, shipping and resale costs so its unfair to say their price is to high. I also would be hesitant to buy from China or India because when you have a warranty or problem the shipping can be 50% of the product costs.

November 22, 2013 at 11:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Adam

A kickstarter page does not equal a product.

Robert/NFS contributors: Please include kickstarter in your headlines for relevant articles.

November 22, 2013 at 5:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

as those people have not deigned anything brand new... just taking a ready made product off the shelf...

November 21, 2013 at 10:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

November 21, 2013 at 11:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

I've been using this one since it wasn't a complete kit yet and it works perfectly fine...nice construction and relatively cheap for what it can do...surprised no body mentioned it

November 22, 2013 at 12:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ihab

Clear View's target market are filmmakers. Why would they produce such a poorly produced video? Kinda freaks me out and I almost don't trust it!

November 22, 2013 at 2:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

The video was great, it was fun to watch and provided good information! I sent it to five or six other people and they all said it was a funny. I would like to see what you can do! Also many companies buy items from companies to make products for them and there is nothing wrong with it, I doubt they were told that others were selling a similar product (most matte boxes are very similar) when they produced theirs.

November 22, 2013 at 10:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Adam

What are you taking about? It's being pushed as a kickstarter campaign. The video is very poor

November 22, 2013 at 2:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Anthony Brown

Go to my website: codymadison.com to view my work Adam.

As a visual content marketer myself, I don't see how any company/kickstarer who's a target market are filmmakers, could ever let such poorly produce video fly. It comes off as a scam to me. If they didn't spend any time/money on their video (which is the business their in) how justified is their product.

November 22, 2013 at 5:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

No wonder the kickstarter video avoided showing the actual creators faces with interviews and such that is common in pitch videos. You buy the product yes, but also the creators.

Create a crappy (weird) pitch video with a voice over + scam = cash!

November 22, 2013 at 3:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

CJ

What are you talking about, most of the videos show the products and how they work. The video was interesting and provided information about the product why would the producers want to show their faces? Most of the matte boxes on the market seem to be very similar and a lot of them are produced in China, so they were most likely selling them to more then one reseller without telling the buyers.

November 22, 2013 at 11:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Adam

Because it's a KICKSTARTER campaign, do you get it? It's being touted as a project that needs funding to go to production, an original idea that is doing something new or has found a cost effective way to produce molded carbon fibre etc.

Learn what a kickstarter campaign is, understand why this isn't cool, compare this video to the many others on kickstarter and then tell me how many kickstarter videos DO NOT have some kind of intro from the developer.

It's a cheap matte box with a $200 price increase over the exact same product available else where. It's not being made in America and dude there are cheaper and better brands out there than pro aim or this rip off

November 22, 2013 at 3:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Anthony Brown

it seems interesting, but the carbon fiber is a bit reflective, and avoid suface reflection is another key feature of a good mattebox.

Never the less it seems very well built.

November 22, 2013 at 3:50AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

andrea

have a d matte , the real problem is you can't use 4x6 graduated filter, to use them you have to go to stupid money, have been thinking of using a tool to open one slot but the filter tray would still bee a problem

November 22, 2013 at 5:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

emilio murillo

I prefer a bellows box with detachable doors and front slot matt windows for maximum light control. Unfortunately very costly for a dslr. Carbon fiber and light weight is nice but I am concerned about the high potential for reflections if using multiple light setup with light camera front.

November 22, 2013 at 10:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Their own website has all China stuff on it..
Lanparte...Tilta...and Wondlan..
Here is Tilta carbon fiber mattebox
for $719 on their own website...
so how is $600 breaking such new ground ?

November 22, 2013 at 5:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sammy

I think someone should report on their misleading kickstarter campaign.... as all those people who gave their money been mislead!!!

November 22, 2013 at 6:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

They cancelled it. I'm updating the post.

November 22, 2013 at 7:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Joe...now what happened with this article ?
Freaking out over a $600 mattebox...?
Come on...you guys know better than this....

Maybe the site needs to slow down and
focus more on quality rather than quantity.
The seams are starting to show....

November 23, 2013 at 5:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sammy

November 23, 2013 at 10:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kuk

NoFilmSchool at last showing its true colors ;) I have to admit though, I thought you guys were a bit smarter, seems I was wrong. This has to be the funniest failed promotion ever.

November 23, 2013 at 9:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Michael

Oh dear, you've royally effed up here in so many ways NFS.

November 23, 2013 at 1:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Fresno Bob

For goodness sake people, stop trolling. Someone might mistakenly think that we represent the online film community.

We all get it wrong all the time. And NFS is hardly to blame for the iffy end of a campaign.

November 24, 2013 at 3:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Do you really think that this $500 garbage promotion happened by "mistake". Because I'm sure that if you do your research you will see a pattern in many promoting articles here. I still haven't seen an actual proper product review in NFS (in a non promoting manner), just vague promotions or re-writes of other people's "reviews". Thank god there's V Renee..

November 25, 2013 at 5:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Michael

We've done a bunch of software reviews, but here are the hardware reviews I can think of off the top of my head, with more to come:

November 25, 2013 at 5:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

As a side note along with all this emergency food and other
supplies, you may want something to put them in such as a duffel bag or back pack that
you can lift and carry. There is no scope for search for all these things when the disaster strikes.
Consider strategic alliances with vendors, suppliers
and dare we say the competition. Stay alert, stay mobile, be ready to run, but better yet, be prepared with knowledge to survive
and possibly thrive in an urban disaster in your own home and neighborhood.
Now the time to buy a generator is not during the crisis if you can help
it.

July 13, 2014 at 10:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

writer are lucky this site/article only provides the "LIKE" button .. LOL!

July 24, 2014 at 9:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Fadhil

Is this mattebox available to the public to buy yet? Where can I find one?

April 22, 2015 at 11:18AM