January 26, 2014

'American Hustle' Screenplay Now Available For Your Consideration

Here at NFS, we have posted links to several award-contending screenplays for free, legal download for your consideration. We've even highlighted half a dozen 2014 Oscar-nominated screenplays that are available for you to download and read. Now that awards season is rapidly approaching the final big show, we expect a few more Oscar-nominated screenplays to appear online from the studios. As proof, you can now download and read the screenplay to American Hustle, thanks to Sony Pictures.

Here's the trailer for American Hustle, now playing in U.S. theatres:

If you haven't already seen it, American Hustle is a fictional story based on the real life story of the Abscam scandal in the late 1970s. The film borrows bits and pieces from actual events and real people to weave its tale of con artists, feds, politicians and the mafia. The film is also a great example of how to balance a story with several dynamic characters, each propelled on his or her own dramatic arc. Given the content of the story, the actors involved, and David O. Russell's track record with stand-out performances in his last two films (The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook), it's no surprise to see Oscar nominations in all four acting categories.

Thanks to Sony Pictures, here's a link to the screenplay:

In case you've missed them, here are the links to the other Oscar-nominated screenplays available for legal download:

Best Adapted Screenplay:

Best Original Screenplay:

As always, please use these screenplays for your educational purposes only, and don’t wait to download them as we never know when they will go offline.

What are your thoughts about fictionalizing real stories and actual people to create a film like American Hustle? Share your thoughts in the comments.

Link: Sony Pictures Awards

Nice.

January 26, 2014 at 1:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

moebius22

Having watched this, I was at a loss why it had been nominated for so many awards.
Nothing really clicked with me, an OK film, the hustler being hustled, hustles the hustler is great but done a million times better in "Nine Queens", I was really keen on this movie but after reading an article in the UK's Guardian on how films make it to the Oscars, I'm a little wiser.

January 26, 2014 at 2:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

kuban

January 27, 2014 at 2:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Dan

January 27, 2014 at 7:56AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

kuban

Now that is one interesting article. Thanks for sharing!

January 27, 2014 at 5:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Dan

Nine queens was great and better. This one's main appeals are the performances and the 70's awesomeness. But I agree with you. I can say the same thing about Gravity.

January 26, 2014 at 4:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

maghoxfr

I was very underwhelmed by AH. As someone else somewhere put it, it's a 2-star film with a 5-star cast. And did anyone else notice the sloppy editing throughout, particularly in the dialogue sequences? At some points it was so convoluted I had difficult following what was even happening on screen.

January 26, 2014 at 8:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Swissted

I did notice the editing. It was terrible. I kept trying to figure out if it was that bad on purpose.

February 3, 2014 at 3:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Michael D.

thanks

January 27, 2014 at 6:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

shimin

I think the film did a marvelous job of capturing the era. It was kinda "dirty" some rough edits but I liked it. The acting was great through out. It wasn't vfx driven, no real violence and no car chases. Idk if being from NJ made it more interesting but liked it a lot. It's the film that movie studios gotta love, besides the huge payroll there wasn't much to it. Minus the payroll I'd be curious to see the films budget. After I left the theater I felt it was refreshing to see the story drive the film instead of the film drive the story. It's the kind of movie I'd love to make. D O Russell I thought did a great job. Can't wait till the Oscars

January 27, 2014 at 6:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Anthony Marino

To answer the page host's question:

All 'real' stories get fictionalized...by the media, by subjective opinion of the general public, and by history books with their own form of propaganda or political agenda.

The visual medium of film is no more reliable or unreliable than 'real' stories being translated into book form, media news pieces, or general conversation.

Film is an artform, in its highest moments, and 'real' stories have their place within the form.

Truth and veracity are possible in film, and they do make rare apearances at times, however, truth and veracity are not always considered saleable to the mass audience by the business people who decide if a project should get financed and 'green lit' or not.

In the case of 12 Years A Slave, this film had to be made about a very 'real' and disturbing
story. This film transcends 'entertainment' and deserves every Oscar on the table, in my opinion.

The film has drawn attention to an important book that was forgotten, or perhaps supressed/marginalized, and therefore served the purpose of educating and informing through the visual medium of film.

With all this in mind, and to repeat, I believe there is a place for 'real' stories in the medium of film.

Thank you for posting links to these screenplays on-line. There is much to be learnt from reading/studying them.

Danny Shayler

Actor/Writer/Director

January 28, 2014 at 4:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Danny Shayler

Thanks for the link! It's invaluable (for me, anyway) to be able to read so many of the 'big' screenplays. As far as "American Hustle"- I thought the performances were entertaining, but the film left me cold. I wasn't surprised at the nominations, though, because it's a very "Hollywood" picture (big stars. period piece, twist ending, based on a true story, lovable anti-hero, etc). I don't think any of the actors will win (unless Amy Adams pulls an upset over Cate Blanchett) but they all deserved to be nominated, especially Jennifer Lawrence.

February 21, 2014 at 3:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Michael E Stuart

Do you mean that it was sloppy because they didn't always cut to the person talking? That's a very classic, performance driven way to edit. Instead of just frantically cutting between whoever happens to be speaking at that moment. The way it was cut gave the actors performances a chance to breathe and react. I thought it was beautiful! And I'm not even a Russell fan.

March 28, 2014 at 11:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM