January 30, 2014

Don't Want to Feel Left Out on Super Bowl Sunday? Here's a Hilarious Guide to American Football

Even though the Super Bowl may be one of the most-watched sporting events each year in the US, it also reaches other nations around the globe. And since we have our own global audience, we thought we'd share this quick and hilarious guide to American football, created by UK-based and BAFTA award winning director, designer, and motionographer Fraser Davidson:

And for more British commentary on the American game, here's what football looks like if you're not from the States:

While we're at it, enjoy this:

Check out more animations from Fraser Davidson over on his Vimeo page and his website.

Links:

What does this post have to do with film making MAN!? WHERE'S THE FILMMAKING NEWS??? Kidding. Got some good laughs out of the British interpretation. Thanks!

January 30, 2014 at 8:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

David Stewart

January 30, 2014 at 9:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

DLD

I suppose football does look strange to Brits. Soccer looks boring to me, lots of running, little scoring. And those soccer hooligans are nuts. Maybe they're not much worse than some Oakland Raider fans though.

January 30, 2014 at 9:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Gene

It depends on a league. The big time English clubs sell out regularly and their ticket prices are very high (~ $100/decent seat) and that keeps the riffraff away from the Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United, Man City grounds. You can get rowdier crowds as you drift toward the European south - Italy, Turkey, Greece. Germany's ruckus but usually well behaved. And trying to explain soccer to an American and Am. football to a European are too very similar and usually fruitless tasks. I've done both and it's exasperating.
PS. I've played a lot in my youth and even written on soccer for a few sites in the past, so I am not just a huge fan of the game. Am. Football-wise, I'm a Packer backer or, as we are colloquially known, a Cheesehead.

January 30, 2014 at 10:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

DLD

Green Bay was my team since I was a kid, going back to John Brockington, and John Hadl, up until the way they treated Brett Favre on his way out of the team. It was inexcusable. They lost me.

January 31, 2014 at 12:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Gene

what was used to make the animation? Flash? Toon Boom? Illustrator + After Effects? a mix of some of these tools? I would like to know! :) If possible! :)

here in brazil most of people who have watched it think the same about american football, that it is too slow, too much time with nothing happening! :D my brother loves american football. I don´t like it, but i don´t like soccer either, a bunch of guys running for 90minutes chasing a ball! :D :D... since I played basketball at school, that´s the only sport I like to watch, and NBA is the cosmic show of basketball! :) oh, and chess, that is visually really boring, but conceptually, a thriller to watch! :D :D

@gene, if you think the hooligans are nuts try a search about "mancha verde", "gaviões da fiel", organized supporters of two traditional brazilian´ soccer teams, "Palmeiras" and "Corinthians" :D :D :D hooligans are sissy! without LOTS of cops around them, things always end in death with the organized supporters of Palmeiras and Corinthians - and that is stupid! a bunch of poor people fighting each other to defend their "love" for their teams and their multimillionaire players that don´t give a fuck for them! :D

sports as a method of social engineering and control - from the greeks to the nazis, they know it works! :D

January 30, 2014 at 11:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

guto novo

Tudo bem?

I have many friends from Brazil. They love soccer and barbequing. Brazilians make the best barbeque food I have EVER had.

January 31, 2014 at 12:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Gene

Tudo beleza pura! :) :D
even being a raw food vegetarian boring being since my teens, I have to agree that brazilians are super ninjas at the art of barbequing death beings! :D meat, beer, cachaça, music, soccer and soup operas are the healthy addictions of "my people" :) :D :D

January 31, 2014 at 1:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

guto novo

Whadayamean American Football is "too slow"?!

I'll have you know that in the three hours it takes from initial kickoff to the game's end, the ball is in play for 13 whole minutes!

"Slow" my eye. (Hint: football took off with the invention of the instant replay, allowing every play to be reviewed over and over and over, making it seem like something is going on.

I believe many women instinctively understand this lack of action, and tune out. I don't quite know why it's so popular with American men, except it's just about the last bastion of merit/performance-based manhood.

February 1, 2014 at 1:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Dan

Football is 90% brains 10% brawn. Vince Lombardi used to give seminars on coaching.
He would teach 8 hours on one play, the power sweep.

Start watching at 1:53 of this video to get an idea how he could talk for 8 hours about it:

February 1, 2014 at 1:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Gene

funny, american football looks boring to me. too much scoring, always the same. guess its cultural

January 31, 2014 at 2:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Paul

or you could watch all the camera guys and boom mic operators in the background... thats always fun. they use a bunch of dslrs too.

January 30, 2014 at 11:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

jerod

You can always spot guys with 1D's on the sidelines. There's GoPros on quadcopters sometimes. They might find a way to build GoPros into the helmets some day.

January 31, 2014 at 12:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Gene

lol, the British commentary is full of Rugby Union commentary (I'm a kiwi, so I'm from that country which is basically just a life support system for a Rugby team!).

January 31, 2014 at 3:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

yeah, im irish so we have our own version of gaelic football too. and another sport that uses sticks that americans think is funny because its called hurling!

January 31, 2014 at 10:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

kev

January 31, 2014 at 11:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

kev

FWIW, when the actual NFL games are broadcast in Europe, one usually finds a "native speaker" doing the commentary but that native speaker is far from being a stranger to the league. Ex-TB Bucs kicker Martin Gramatica does a lot of the Spanish language feeds, ex-SD Charger Igor Olshansky does the Russian and a lot of the West European packages have ex-NFL Europe players and/or coaches. The English language feed that goes out to the UK or Australia is a straight CBS/FOX PBP/commentary with your regular Nance&Simms, Aikmans&Buck pairings . The only difference is that, due to different commercial regulations, the international broadcasters will cut away into their own (US based) studios for these extra 2-3 minutes for additional analysis. I catch these various streams online now and again. The will feature an American host, an international Howard Cosell figure and an ex-NFL player for the X's and O's. One the ex-NFL dudes there was an ex-Packer Mark Tauscher and he was very good (I asked one of the GB beat guys and he thought Mark was going places).
On the negative side, the global soccer fans will often find the US commentary of the major events quite hysterical. For the most recent UEFA Champions League season PBP, FOX was using none other than a third rate NFL/NBA veteran Gus Johnson and the guy barely knew what the heck was happening on the field. In 2006, it was even worse. For its WC coverage, ESPN picked a baseball man Dave O'Brien and the guy was completely clueless to what was taking place in front of him. It didn't help that the color was provided by another nitwit.

January 31, 2014 at 5:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM