February 26, 2014

New Atomos Ninja Blade Gives You External HDMI Recording with a 5-Inch 1280 x 720 Monitor

Atomos Ninja Blade HDMI RecorderAtomos introduced the Samurai Blade at NAB last year, and it was a massive step up from the regular Samurai, increasing both screen size and resolution. For those who didn't need HD-SDI, there was still the cheaper Ninja 2, but at much lower specs. Now the company has announced the Ninja Blade, which takes the Samurai Blade and turns it into an HDMI recorder. Check out some videos below to see the external recorder/monitor in action.

Atomos Ninja_Blade_Hero_01

First, the specs (which are nearly identical to the Samurai Blade):

• 325DPI, 5" IPS 1280 x 720 capacitive touchscreen monitor/recorder
  • Record direct from the sensor to 10-bit, 4:2:2 ProRes or DNxHD
  • Up to 1080/30p/60i
  • Waveform RGB & Luma Parade, Vectorscope with zoom, and test pattern generator
  • Adjustable gamma, contrast and brightness
  • HDMI input and output
  • Real-time monitoring, playback, playout to a PC or Mac with QuickTime, and edit logging
  • Focus Peaking, 0-100% Zebra, and two modes of False Color monitoring
  • S-Log / C-Log recording
  • Trigger REC/STOP from camera (Canon, Sony, ARRI, Panasonic, RED, JVC)
  • Timecode from camera
  • 2.5" HDD/SSD media storage
  • Sony NP-F570 Battery type
  • Availability: Shipping
  • Price: $1,000

The Ninja Blade is $300 cheaper than the Ninja Samurai, so there is a significant savings there if you don't need the HD-SDI. If you do need the HD-SDI later, you can attach one of the Atomos Connect devices that can convert HD-SDI to HDMI (and vice versa) and can fit right into the battery slot of the external recorder. Either way, even if you don't want to use it as an external recorder all the time, it's still a pretty capable monitor, and with their color calibration unit called the Atomos Spyder, you can get precise color on set. F0r $150, you can use the Spyder with either Blade recorder:

Atomos is the worlds first to offer a portable calibration unit for the Ninja Blade - a Monitor, Recording Device and Deck. No other competing device offers this level of color precision. Developed in partnership with Datacolor the Atomos Spyder gives the Ninja Blade one button color calibration normally only found on high end monitors. With Spyder, the Ninja Blade gains the ability to accurately calibrate to the SMPTE Rec 709 color space with a D65 white point with 100% gamut.

The Spyder will also work with regular monitors if you get the correct Datacolor software, so it's useful for more than just the Atomos products. You can find both the Ninja Blade and the Spyder over on B&H.

Links:

Does this work with the Blackmagic cameras? I know the pocket camera doesn't support all monitors

February 26, 2014 at 6:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I am currently using the Ninja 2 with my pocket. Hopefully that means this one will work as well, looks like a really nice upgrade.

February 26, 2014 at 6:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Joel

We are seeing lots of users buying our recorders with the BMD cameras. It's important to have a backup recording. I never completely trust SD Cards...

Having a high-res screen that can attach to a magic arm and be angled in any direction is so handy when using Jibs and Sliders. The a bad thing about the Pocket Camera and 5D mkIII is the fixed screen.

-Brooke | atomos.com

February 27, 2014 at 7:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I have the Samurai Blade HD-SDI model but I use it as an EVF with a loupe specially designed for 5 inch screens when I shoulder mount the camera. The image is really great at 720p, easy to do critical focus and very useful in other ways to. I can record Prores at the same time I'm recording XAVC in HD, 2K or when I'm recording 4K Raw. Lovely piece of kit. Some EVF's are this price without any recording facility so for me it wasn't a difficult choice at all.

February 26, 2014 at 6:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

JPS

Do you have a link of that loupe you mentioned? I'm looking for one for my Blade as well, cheers!

February 26, 2014 at 9:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ash

I am also what loupe you are using with the Blade.

-Brooke | atomos.com

February 27, 2014 at 7:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Damn I can't type today!!! :)

Edit: I would also like to know which loupe you are using with the Blade.

Thanks JPS

February 27, 2014 at 7:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Guys I've found it, it's called GRID 5.0 Viewfinder, it's designed for 5inch RED monitor but works for all 5inch devices.

February 27, 2014 at 10:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ash

Hi guys!

Do you think that sooner or later Canon 5D Mark III could be use this new Atomos to record in raw mode with Magic Lantern?

Manuel

February 26, 2014 at 10:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Manuel

There are arguably a lot more money in the 4K recording for them at the moment because Atomos is on the lower end of the pro recorder market. For example, Raw enabled Sony AX-SR5 that bolts onto FS-700/F5/F55 runs about $5K (and that's without the monitor function). Convergent Design's monitor/recorder Odyssey7Q will also run around $5K once you add the Raw recording capability, software licenses, hard drives, etc. By comparison, Atomos products are priced in the neighborhood of $700-$1,500, so Raw, with its massive files, is probably a bit outside of their intended market. Right now, the race is on for a quality compressed 4K. The company president hinted that it's where the industry was heading about half a year ago.

February 27, 2014 at 2:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

DLD

There's no way to output RAW from the 5D except onto CF Cards.

February 27, 2014 at 5:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

IAN

Right but my point - I think - was that Atomos won't be getting into the Raw recording market until the price levels for Raw recording are squeezed down to its ~ $1,000 niche and that may be a couple of years away. Meanwhile, the compressed 4K should become a very lucrative market for the makers of this type of a gear.

February 27, 2014 at 11:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

DLD

Most cameras send 60i with pulldown when set at 24p over hdmi, so the footage never achieves it s true potential. So 30p is Ok and for greenscreen work, Other than that... Stick with internal recording.

February 27, 2014 at 3:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ivan Gómez

If you put milk in a water bottle, it's still milk, it won't turn into water... put 24p in a 60i container you still get native 24p

February 27, 2014 at 5:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ash

I don't think it's interlaced. I think it's more like psf - so while the frame is split into two fields to send it to the recorder, it's still recorded and displayed as progressive the way the camera captured it. There is no 1/60th of a second difference in time between the even field and the odd field....

February 27, 2014 at 4:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Patrick

As far as pulldown is concerned, so what? You dump a few duped fields (which aren't interlaced fields as stated above) from frames B and C. I'll take that over h.264 compression any day of the week.

February 27, 2014 at 4:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Patrick

H.264 is a streaming technology codec designed to be at the end of the line, not used throughout the pipeline. :)

-Brooke | atomos.com

February 27, 2014 at 7:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Yes. Thus I'd prefer using a Ninja to record DNxHD or ProRes regardless of whether or not it has to be sent over the HDMI cable as "interlaced" 59.97 rather than use the h.264 files that end up on the camera card as @ivangomez is advocating. For some reason....

February 28, 2014 at 12:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Patrick

Hi guys, is it possible to use with a 6D ? Not sure if it got a clean hdmi output...

February 27, 2014 at 4:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

The 6D doesn't output HD from the HDMI. Bummer.

February 27, 2014 at 3:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Is there an external SSD recorder for the 100 Mbit 4:2:2 10bit UHD mov HDMI out of the new GH4?

February 27, 2014 at 11:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Markus

The Odyssey7Q is probably the best 4K solution but it still needs to mature a bit. http://www.convergent-design.com/Products/Odyssey7Q.aspx

February 27, 2014 at 3:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I doubt it will work with the GH4, but maybe Panasonic will suggest a solution in time!

February 28, 2014 at 12:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Markus

I have one on order and should get it by Tuesday. I decided to sell my Ninja 2 for the Ninja Blade mainly for using with a C100. Unfortunately the C100 has a less than stealer EVF and the LCD is just okay. This gives me a nice small high quality image with the option if needed to record with a better codec. The SDI to HDMI converter is pretty slick too so I can see this recorder getting a lot of use and probably more so as a monitor. Tools like waveform, vectorscope and peaking are great, and add in audio metering this thing is just loaded!

February 27, 2014 at 3:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

The waveform on the C100 isn't up to scratch. We worked really hard to get the best looking (and accurate) waveform monitor tools into AtomOS 5.

-Brooke | atomos.com

February 27, 2014 at 7:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Where did you order yours? I've noticed on Markertek site it includes a case and batteries etc. Is that standard with all dealers?

February 27, 2014 at 7:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Aaron

I ordered from Markertek and it does include the case. I was surprised it did because that case is another $80.

February 27, 2014 at 9:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Yep, it added the case back to the line up for the Blade series due to customer feedback. We are listening!

It's also a new design.

-Brooke | atomos.com

March 3, 2014 at 4:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

So will I not be able to record the 60/50p HD my Nikon D5400 is capable of?

March 1, 2014 at 11:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Tim Andrew

Hi Tim,

Does it output 720p50/60 like D800? If so we can record slow-mo.

-Brooke | atomos.com

March 2, 2014 at 7:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

What happens over time if you don't sport for the color calibration tool?

May 7, 2014 at 8:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hi,

Does it support "Trigger REC/STOP from camera" for the BM PCC?

Thanks,

Bryan

May 9, 2014 at 7:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Bryan

You succeeded!

I upgraded from the Ninja 2 to the Blade for a dramatic film that was very tough to evaluate exposure, shot low light, pushing everything down to the bottom, having the very large scopes and high res screen for my assistant was fantastic. I'll be looking for a Grid 5 loupe and the zacuto grip relocator next, this monitor/recorder is also going to be my EVF for on the shoulder shooting. Two 15 hour days with the Blade running most of the time as a monitor was not a problem, I have the small Sony batteries and when I changed the camera battery I would change the Blades, it worked very well for me. One issue, I liked how the Ninja2 was able to flip the image as I like having the HDMI cable on the right for my C100, but with a right angle adapter it was a non issue routing the cable. I did have some issues with the "perfect path" cables, I bought 2 and both had drop out issues where the Blade would turn off. I swapped out a cable with a screw in connector for the Canon side and just used a friction fit right angle connector for the Blade side and never had another problem. HDMI was definitely the WRONG connector to put on a $6000 camera for connecting to a recorder, an HDMI and an SDI would have been best or just an SDI, what were they thinking?

Atomos made another great product.

June 2, 2014 at 9:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

whoah this weblog is wonderful i like reading your articles.

Stay up the good work! You already know, a lot of
people are hunting round for this information, you could help
them greatly.

July 8, 2014 at 12:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Guys, have any of you bought this yet?? I paid for mine 9 days ago and my emails since have been ignored! Desperate to use it on the 26th for a wedding, any chance i could borrow someone else's??!

July 17, 2014 at 10:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM