April 12, 2014

Edit & Grade Footage in Real Time with SmallHD's Upgraded DP7 Monitor

SmallHD has made a pretty significant upgrade to their already visually superb 7" DP7 field monitor, and David Bredbury gives us a quick demo at the SmallHD booth at NAB. The new features in the DP7 include the ability to load and export custom 3D LUTs, as well as editing and grading footage in real-time. Continue on to see the DP7 in action, as well as all pricing and availability information.

As of right now, all of the DP7 monitors, including the LCD, OLED, and High Bright models, have the "Real-Time" 3D LUT feature, but it'll take another month or so before the color grading feature is made available. Here are some specs from each of the DP7 models:

DP7-Pro LCD ($1399)

• 1280x800 high definition display resolution
  • 400 nit bright IPS LCD
  • Improved viewing angle via IPS technology
  • High-res full-screen waveform & scopes
  • 8 proximity-sensing Smart Keys

DP7-Pro OLED ($2299)

• Perfect Rec.709 Color Gamut via 3D LUT
  • True black levels - infinite contrast ratio
  • 1280x800 high definition display resolution
  • High-res full-screen waveform & scopes
  • 8 proximity-sensing Smart Keys
  • “X-Port” expandability port

DP7-Pro High Bright ($2999)

• Daylight-viewable IPS LCD (1500 nits)
  • 1280x800 high definition display resolution
  • Easily replaceable integrated screen protector
  • High-res full-screen waveform & scopes
  • 8 proximity-sensing Smart Keys
  • “X-Port” expandability port

Link: DP7 -- SmallHD

...

NFS's coverage of NAB 2014 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel and Limelite. Subscribe to the No Film School YouTube channel for the latest video updates direct from NAB, as well as filmmaker interviews, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes features.

i'm surprised it can process that kind of grade

April 12, 2014 at 9:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Henry

Great feature but how come a basic feature such as "DSLR Scale" is not available in any of DP7 series monitors? All other SmallHD monitors support DSLR image scaling but DP7 series does not.

April 12, 2014 at 9:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mark Jack

Did you shoot this in log and forget to grade it?

April 12, 2014 at 10:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Darren

Being able to see 3D LUTS on the fly is so frick'n awesome. Built in vector and waveform scopes, more awesome. brilliant Sunhood, yes! SDI ports, ok I'm sold! (actually I already ordered mine on thursday w/ the NAB2014 discount code)

April 12, 2014 at 11:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

One thing to consider for some, you have to pay extra for the battery connector, hood and acrylic screen protector. I went with the standard LCD, OLED and HiBright are rather costly. With the NAB discount it was still well over $1500 us bucks

April 12, 2014 at 11:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

And, when The Odyssey7 is released soon for $1295, you'll have the same thing AND a recorder.

April 13, 2014 at 9:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Except I need/want it now, have trust in smallHD for support and I'm already using it today!

April 14, 2014 at 10:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

With the NAB discount the DP7 PRO SB was $1259 w/ free 2 day shipping. I don't care too much about recording in my exposure/display tool (which is what this monitor is). I can generate proxy files practically instantaneously for RED footage w/ time codes in redcine-x, and for standard HD footage who really needs proxies anymore?

The cost for the extras was a bit high IMO and hence where the $1555 total cost came from.

April 14, 2014 at 10:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Their $3k highbright is the cheapest highbright monitor, hands down, compared to the other daylight monitors by Transvideo, Boland, Cinetronic... The Cinetronic is weatherized, but still...it's $5k. I think the Bolands are about $4k, but the smallHD monitors offer tons of features, plus are much cheaper. Also, the replaceable screens are the best...I treat my monitors like grip gear instead of treating them like lenses which is very liberating. I have a highbright and an AC 7, and would love to add an OLED eventually.

April 22, 2014 at 4:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Daniel Mimura

I'm sorry but smallHD has obvisouly not kept up with what's going on, or what people are moving towards. ie. monitors AND recorder.

Question: Why in the hell would I spend $1000+ on a monitor that's NOT a recorder as well..? Completely stupid in my opinion.

I would rather have 2 or 3 other monitors/recorders right now before I'd even consider anything from smallHD.

Atmos, CD 7Q...etc....

I don't give a crap about editing my footage on a small 7inch monitor out in the field. I do that in the editing suite.

April 13, 2014 at 1:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tim

+1 , nothing interesting from them and price is too high

April 13, 2014 at 4:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

matt

My thoughts, too. Why would anyone buy this when, for the same price, you get the same screen AND a recorder with the CD7 and 7Q?
Weird.

April 13, 2014 at 8:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

+100 completely agree.

WAAAY over priced. smallHD, time to cut some of those guys loose so you can afford to bring your prices down. That is ridiculous for just a monitor.

April 13, 2014 at 7:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mike Stevens

+1 this is a joke right?
smallHD, you have not kept up with whats going on outside of your little workshop. People are looking for a monitor and recorder in one. And others even offer 4K recording too. I wouldn't pay $600 for ANY of your monitors. Get with the program. A year to prepare and this is what you bring out to NAB?

April 13, 2014 at 7:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ashley

These comments make my brain hurt...

All of this displays have fans, the ones that can record get hotter and the fans run louder.
They are also heavier, are more likely to break and are not as elegant or easy to use.
You can't have your cake and eat it too folks!

April 14, 2014 at 11:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Agreed. As a Red user I don't want nor need a recorder. I was at NAB and the DP7 Pro rocks. The controls (touch and wheels), the scopes, the screen, the 3D luts, and the inputs/outputs made the decision to buy one easy. The Odyssey 7 at $1295 is not a full functioning recorder (and not available yet!). One needs to pay $2295 for the 7Q to get full recording capabilities. And I like the interface on the DP7 much more.

April 15, 2014 at 1:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Yeah, smallHD has been great with me...I have both a highbright as well as an AC7. I actually bought the AC7 because they had a couple of setbacks with the highbright, with the idea that I would sell the AC7 afterwards...not a chance. I like having both. I do wish they had the superior focus peaking of the AC7 in the DP series.

Something they haven't talked about in awhile is that they've promised onboard thru the SD card as an upgrade. This may have changed, but whatever. I don't even care, I'm a RED user personally, and on anything else, it's not my setup, so I don't really care how they do onboard.

They're a great company. I can't wait for more x port expandability. It'll make some set ups I do a little easier/tidier/faster to set up.

April 22, 2014 at 4:56AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Daniel Mimura

You can achieve LUT on the fly with Blackmagic Design HDLink here http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/hdlink

But not the capability to colorgrading on the go though. But the price is much cheaper too and more functions.

April 13, 2014 at 7:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Seems overpriced due to the market changing to monitor/recorder combinations. The grading feature is cool, but doesn't warrant the price. I rather make a picture profile similar to the final look I'm going for and use that as a reference for setting up then record in whatever mode I wish (log etc) in stead of spending this much. Montior + Recorder is what's happening now. SmallHD should just start cutting their prices and it'll be fine.

April 13, 2014 at 11:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Can't see the value considering the price of Atomos Ninja and Shogun...

April 13, 2014 at 2:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

We're talking about SmallHD monitors here, not recorders. The SmallHD DP7 OLED blows the Atomos Ninja out of the water as a monitor! Higher resolution, infinite contrast ratio, and a huge color gamut.

Maybe some people want an ok field monitor with a recorder more than a world-class monitor with no recorder... but don't compare the two. They are different tools.

April 15, 2014 at 1:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

You can have at it then, I think 9 out of 10 dentist agree. haha!

Most people(9 out of 10) now are going towards a monitor AND recorder solution....especially for that money.
I'll pass on smallHD.

April 15, 2014 at 8:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nick

Does it blow the Odyssey 7Q and Shogun away too? Odyssey has the same resolution, OLED display, in addition it is a recorder - costs less than DP7 OLED! Shogun has a higher resolution than DP7 - did I mention it is a recorder too? Cheaper than DP7.

April 16, 2014 at 9:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mark Jack

short DOF may be nice and all for portrait photography. But when shooting an event like this and ending up with almost no shot of the product in focus, barely even the person speaking either. Then maybe one needs to rethink the approach a little.

I just think it's a pity that the product was constantly out of focus when detail is what is interesting about the product....

April 16, 2014 at 1:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Wow...so people like to bitch and bitch about RED or GL-whatever's, or so and so didn't light it well, or a good DP can do wonders with such and such...

...so now we have to bitch about NAB coverage as well. Who cares?

April 22, 2014 at 5:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Daniel Mimura

A lot of commenters are complaining about messing around with LUT's. Is really easy to do this in Resolve, or have the DIT (or loader that's aspiring to impress you and actually learn DIT skills) to d-ck around with the LUT's all you want...you just put them on an SD card and try them out. Several big movies are viewing in 709 just because it's an easy see and judge from. I'm not a fan of viewing flat/RAW. I like to know that more is there than what I see, and it's easier to light. I even have a high con and a low con LUT's because I like it as a lighting tool.

April 22, 2014 at 5:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM