April 20, 2014

The Zeiss OLED Cinemizer Goggles Take Video Monitoring into the Future

Zeiss CinemizerI, for one, can't say I'm too thrilled about the idea that we'll all be wearing and communicating with Google's futuristic spaceman goggles sometime in the not-too-distant future (even though there's some serious storytelling potential built into Google Glass). With that said, Zeiss is proving that not all spaceman goggles are designed to be playthings for trendy techies. The Zeiss OLED Cinemizer Goggles are an incredibly compact and high-quality video monitoring solution that might just change the way footage is monitored for aerial production and traditional production as well. Check out the details below.

First and foremost, the Zeiss Cinemizer Goggles have actually been around for a year or two at this point, but I only caught wind of their existence this past week, so if you're already well aware of how cool these goggles are, then you should probably just skip the rest of this article. If not, then here's the product launch video and some specs!

Display

• two high-resolution OLED displays (Organic Light Emitting Diode)
    each with 870 × 500 pixels and a fill factor of 100%
  • Simulated image size: 40 inch (= 1 m) at a distance of 2 meters
  • Aspect ratio: 16:9
  • Color depth: 24 Bit RGB
  • FoV (Field of View): 30°

Input

• HDMI: 640x480p 60Hz, 720x576p 50Hz, 720x480p 60Hz, 1280x720p 50/60Hz, 1920x1080i 50/60Hz, 1920x1080p 50/60Hz, 1920x1080p 24Hz, HDMI 1.4 3D 1080p 24 Hz, HDMI 1.4 3D 720p 60Hz
  • iPod/iPhone: iPod and iPhone models with video capability
    via optional accessories more details
  • AV-In: 3.5 mm/4-pin connector for audio & video (PAL/NTSC)
  • Connection options for various sources: Overview

3D Support

• Side-by-side/Top-Bottom/Line interleaved
  • Frame Packing with HDMI 1.4 (720p/1080p)
  • NVIDIA 3DTV PlayTM supports the cinemizer OLED as a 3D display unit
  • Supported 3D formats

Power

• Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
  • Charge via USB
  • Voltage: 5 V
  • Power supply: 450 mA
  • Battery life: up to 6 hours for iPod/iPhone and AV-In and up to 2.5 hours for HDMI
  • Charging time: approx. 2.5 hours

External Connections

• Mini-USB to charge the integrated battery
  • 3.5 mm audio port for external stereo headphones

While the goggles are marketed towards a multitude of different applications such as gaming, 3D CAD visualization, and for consumers of visual media, the filmmaking applications for the Zeiss Cinemizer goggles are intriguing.

The Cinemizers are perhaps a perfect solution for monitoring and capturing aerial footage from the various drones like the DJI Phantom and others. Through creating an immersive first person monitoring experience, the Cinemizer goggles can potentially allow for a more focused experience (with better results) for the person operating camera on aerial rigs. This idea could also be extended to folks who operate the remote heads on jibs, cranes, etc.

These nifty spaceman goggles could also find their way onto traditional film sets where the process of monitoring in a basic video village can turn into a major cluster#%@$ very quickly, as everyone from producers to PA's gather around a single monitor to watch takes unfold in real-time. I can imagine that having designated pairs of Cinemizers on set, one for the director, DP, producer, etc, would make for a happier set with a less hectic video village.

Of course, at $800 retail, the Cinemizers are a hard sell for independent filmmakers in need of an affordable monitoring solution. However, for specialized photography applications such as aerial capture, these could be a worthwhile investment.

What do you guys think about the Zeiss Cinemizer Goggles? Are these a viable monitoring solution for filmmakers, or are they just another pair of goofy spaceman goggles? Let us know down in the comments!

Link: Cinemizer OLED -- Zeiss

At $800 I think that's pretty damn good compared to some of the stuff at NAB. If it works well I can see there being a little learning curve (just getting used to it) but then it can be a really great tool. Great for the director as well

April 20, 2014 at 7:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Concur - I tried them on at NAB and was pleasantly surprised - even more so when I learned the price - I would dig using these on set.

April 21, 2014 at 12:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lance Bachelder

I really wanted to like these but I tried them on and couldn't see a thing. I thought they might pair well with Teradek and a brushless gimbal but not a chance.

My eyes just can't focus while using them.

April 21, 2014 at 10:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Josh

I'd mentioned in a few comments previously that this is definitely going toward a military style Heads-Up Display (HUD) and that was before I became aware of this gismo. Its best uses are for a multi-camera filming when the director wants to be on the set (as in scripted TV production) rather than away from it (as in soaps or live sports). but it can certainly work for an outdoor daytime shoot too. Does Zeiss have a built-in LUT?

April 20, 2014 at 7:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

jUST mount the camera on the glasses. make it a wearable camera like google glass.

April 20, 2014 at 8:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

That would be a different product, and as Glass already exists and is awful, no thanks.

April 20, 2014 at 8:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

travis

lame but relevant question - what happens if you wear glasses (before you put the goggles on)? is there a facility in the device to adjust for focus or counter balance short sightedness?

April 20, 2014 at 9:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

shaun wilson

That's the whole point of the diopter, to adjust to different peoples' eyes. If your vision is terrible like mine, it might be out of the range available, but I've taken off my glasses and just used the adjustable diopter on plenty of cameras and it's worked great

April 20, 2014 at 10:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kyle

Tried that out, did not work for me, as I was outside the compensation range. Further, the device can only compensate certain kinds of vision deficiencies, but not astigmatism. It cannot be used with the normal glasses.

April 21, 2014 at 8:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Thyl Engelhardt

They didn't work for me either. I go without glasses 95% of the time.

April 21, 2014 at 10:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Josh

This technology has been used for FPV RC flying for years now and the Zeiss Cinemizer are just an expensive version of hundreds of models of purpose made goggles specifically made for aerial photography/cinematography. While immersion is good in some cases, a more useful setup especially for flying and monitoring at the same time - where maintaining line-of-sight is a must for safety(unless you have a dedicated spotter on location), is something like the pirate eye monocular(http://www.payatechnology.com). These are not only useful for aerial photography with RC copters but on a recent job I had proved very useful for monitoring from a brushless gimbal rig where I was operating the rig in follow mode and also had to run behind the actors and avoid obstacles on the way.

April 20, 2014 at 11:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I was hoping someone would make an app for the oculus rift that does similar things. Having never tried OC or any other type of VR I'm not sure what 2D content would be like on here.

April 21, 2014 at 12:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

kevin

I was really hoping such thing exists many times on set. At 800$ it's a bit steep for me, though with the Zeiss name on it it's probably worth it. Let's see if the Chinese market has a cheaper answer for that...

April 21, 2014 at 5:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hmm, not much use in a crew. How many times when using a monitor have you pointed something out on the monitor to discuss an aspect of the image with a colleague?

April 21, 2014 at 6:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dom green

The presence of these goggles doesn't exclude the possibility of multiple monitors being on the set as well much like BMD URSA has an ability to have other monitors hooked up to it.

April 21, 2014 at 8:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

I have a group buy setup here with a major discount!! : http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?115184-GROUP-BUY-Zeiss-OLED-...

April 21, 2014 at 2:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chris McKechnie

This is not high resolution. It should be at least 1920 x 1080. Also there is no LUT as with a professional monitor. Price is a bit steep for what the company is offering.

April 25, 2014 at 6:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe Molly

The idea is good, but I am waiting for a improved successor ( hopefully 1080p) since on year!

April 26, 2014 at 1:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Markus

I've used a similar type device for years, as an on set monitor in order to be away from crowded video village and they work fine for that. Also useful on flights when watching stuff on portable screens, useful for avoiding neck pain in long flights, hehe.
These would be like a wireless step up, which sounds great, I wonder if they are 'see through' so you don't bump into things.
Not sure how they'd work for operating though, but may end up being helpful when in bright ext/day.

May 1, 2014 at 8:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM