May 20, 2014

Watch Panasonic GH4 Footage in 4K on a Real Cinema Screen

Panasonic GH4 Launch Event Hot Rod Cameras CroppedThe Panasonic GH4 has only just started hitting the streets, and while we've seen a mix of footage from all different kinds of shooters (including an interesting video that showed how this little $1,700 camera stood up against the $20,000 RED EPIC), there's a good chance most of you haven't actually seen the 4K from this camera on a cinema screen projected in 4K. That's exactly what Illya Friedman over at Hot Rod Cameras in Los Angeles, California is planning on doing this Wednesday, May 21st. It's not just a screening of footage, however, so click through to learn more.

Here is the description of the event, which is completely free to attend:

Come to Hot Rod Cameras and get your hands on a GH4, watch GH4 4K footage on the big screen on a Christie DCI 4K projector!

Meet Panasonic's Matt Frazer and Luminaries, Giulio Sciorio and Dave Surber in person. Learn the secrets of 4K, and how to get the best looking images out of a GH4 camera.

Free Food, Drinks and Parking

1-night only, and only at the best camera shop ever, Hot Rod Cameras

Must be 21+

Panasonic GH4 Launch Event Hot Rod Cameras

While it would be great if you could see it everywhere around the country and abroad, at the moment this is a one-time-only event happening in Los Angeles, so if you're not 21 and older and not in the area, you're a bit out of luck unless you've got access to a 4K projector (though a large 4K TV wouldn't be a bad substitute).

Here is just a small sample of some of the great stuff that's been shot on the Panasonic GH4 so far:

From Joe Simon:

From Daniel Peters:

From emeric:

Links:

The GH4 is by far the best camera for the money at the moment. The downsampled 4K through the HDMI at 10 Bits and 4:2:2 color sampled is incredible. When Shogun from Atmos gets released, it will be a no brainer. The GH4 has disrupted the Pro-Vid market more so than Blackmagic did. Thank you Panasonic, let's hope other manufacturers get the message that slop video really isn't all that great anymore.

May 20, 2014 at 6:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shogun and the GH4 will be an amazing combo. We knew the two work be a great fit when Panasonic demoed the GH4 to us.

-Brooke | atomos.com

May 20, 2014 at 7:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Cool

May 21, 2014 at 9:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Maximus

I also can't wait for what video from the Shogun with the GH4 will look like! Atomos gear makes a nicer quality video image than the internal memory card of most cameras can. I really am looking forward to it!!

May 20, 2014 at 10:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

Panasonic viral marketing intern detected.

If you're going spec for spec, price for price, the Blackmagic cameras blow everything out of the water. 12 bit raw or 10 bit prores out of the box, pro outputs built in without an overpriced add-on and 3rd party recorder, clean monitoring, davinci resolve included, thunderbolt output, basically all the features of cinema cams 10x the price without the price

But i guess most of you guys here are videographers not filmmakers and need something thats more like a DSLR ....

May 20, 2014 at 11:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

john jeffries

The problem with Blackmagic is DESIGN. I can bet with you that the guys who have developed the camera never had shooted in their lives. The Blackmagic camera looks like a square cheese.

May 21, 2014 at 11:48AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Paulo Emilio

Here we go, there's always at least one or more, usually more, that just have to stir the pot. One thing can be said for Panasonic products, at least they work correctly, and if they don't, they fix the product instead of launching more defective products.

May 21, 2014 at 6:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Steve M.

That's actually what I was thinking while watching these. Whenever a new camera comes out there's never any narrative work. Granted the footage looked good (the last clip more so), whenever I see these demos I never really picture them as films as much as simply videography. It always seems to just be random clips of a city or a girl walking around through a field with lens flares.

May 21, 2014 at 6:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JohnBelJohn

Jealous Blackmagic fanboy detected.

At least Panasonic's cameras are more popular than any problems that may arise from them.

May 22, 2014 at 3:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

CT

Arguably the most important part of any camera is the fact that it works. Blackmagic don't really prioritize quality which makes them borderline-useless today.

On paper, they're fantastic, but if they're not reliable no one will shoot with them. Also, I'd say the Scarlet is probably a better buy. For twice the money of a 4k, you get something that works, something that's reliable, something that processes at 16-bit internally, and does slowmotion. I don't particularly like RED, but until BMD show us that they're capable of delivering a camera system that actually works before abandoning their customers I won't buy any of their products.

Regardless, a GH4 with a Shogun will likely run just slightly more than a Production 4k and I'm betting the footage will look better. At least it won't have fixed noise patterns :)

May 24, 2014 at 8:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Oscar

Now there's a petition started toward Black Magic to acknowledge, and fix the pattern noise in their 4K camera. Yeah, real great product.

May 24, 2014 at 6:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Steve M.

This weekend I shot a kids recital with angles in 4k just because I could. I wanted to experiment using all three together black magic production, gh4, and scarlet. Gh4 is the best bang for the buck I'm really likening the image quality. The black magic files are way too big! 1 min is 6 gig, which makes it really hard for event use. This little kid event racked up 1.2 tb of footage! The 800 ISO can make the blackmagic really hard for event/wedding use so we have been rocking primes. We pushed the gh4 to 3200 ISO this weekend at a wedding and performance so far seems to be on par with our d800s, gh4 wins on bang for buck and over feature set, first dslr I have ever used with true video in mind. BM probably has a little better image quality but serious limiting features. And red is just a whole other beast. That's my input

May 21, 2014 at 12:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I think you're summing up the use of the Gh4 perfectly. Events, quick turn around corporate work etc. Blackmagic has always marketed their cameras as geared toward narrative production work (new studio cam excluded) and their workflow shows it. It all depends on the project.

May 21, 2014 at 10:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lane

The only thing that I am unsure about is that the Shogun seems to only record UHD at 3840x2160 instead of 4096x2160. I can't find any info about recording DCI 4k on the Shogun. http://www.atomos.com/shogun/ If you go half way down the page and read the bullet point "4k hdmi" it specifically says 3840x2160. That is a little upsetting, seeing is that is more cropped on the sensor compared to DCI 4k.

May 20, 2014 at 8:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Thomas Barthle

I have the printed brochure from NAB which has in depth information regarding all the formats. I will look into this tonight for you and post it. I'm not sure but I believe it does have DCI.. again i could be wrong

May 20, 2014 at 9:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Bobhadababyitsaboy!

As of last week, Atomos hadn't stated officially whether DCI would be supported (http://forum.atomos.com/showthread.php?52710-Shogun-4k-DCI-recording).

May 20, 2014 at 10:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tzedekh

The GH4 needed to have a 12G-SDI on the body. I can't see why Panasonic didn't add it. Perhaps cost was the factor. The Shogun has a 12G-SDI. Panasonic should add it soon to a second line and call it GH4x or something, even if it costs a tad more, and sell both lines. I'm wondering too about the 4096 4K for the Shogun, will it have it. If not then maybe have a good reason for it.

May 20, 2014 at 10:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

I was wondering the same thing about the 4k resolution on the Shogun. Would be a bit of a bummer if it couldn't shoot true DCI 4k.

May 20, 2014 at 9:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dave

By the way, Joe ... as we were talking about any new gear on that Laforet post a couple of days ago ... check out Flowcine's Gravity One stabilizer ... a different beast from the MoVi style gear (this one basically needs to be suspended off an EasyRig but will handle a loaded Alexa) that has been flooding the market for the last year or so .... GO is priced for pros but one hopes that they'll have a DSLR sized and priced piece in the future ...
as for the GH4, one could try an Ephoto 2-Axis piece that is sold for $799 on eBay.

May 20, 2014 at 12:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Peace of mind is the firt video shot on GH4 that looks cinematic (the rest looks too videoish for my taste - but maybe this is the way to go in these days).

May 20, 2014 at 12:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Laurel

just not a fan of the color science. And need 12bit. Nicely handled though.

May 20, 2014 at 12:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

I don't like the GH4 colors straight out of the cam either (especially, if they are ungraded Cine V/D) but, after correction, it looks pretty good.

something like this [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSsy_E0mHvU ]

or this [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR3NowR_iNY ]

or the official Panasonic video "Dalia's Dream", if one seeks more dramatic type of shooting.

[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvUA3pfL9iQ ]

May 21, 2014 at 12:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Those are nice, especially the first one graded with Magic Bullet Looks. Still, there's a tinge of brown hue, and pinks don't stand out. This has been my only complaint about the GH's. But depending on the lens and what it's edited with, anything is possible. I may get a Voightlander f/0.95 some day. :-)

May 21, 2014 at 1:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

I really enjoyed the Budapest piece. But I must say that the Paris video has some really disgusting antialiasing problems, it really looks terrible.

Can anyone tell me if this is a compression problem, or am I just watching things wrong? Is this a camera issue? I think not because the Budapest video doesn't have that same problem. What could it be?

May 21, 2014 at 3:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Oscar

No, its just you.

May 21, 2014 at 4:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

John Wilton

So far I am not impressed, there are no colours.. looks like any other medium good camera (except for the slomo and 4k, that anyway most of us can't still appreciate on our "normal" monitors--

There is a bump in colours when you use Canon compared to these videos, it's like the difference between consumer film and professional film.. like kodak gold and fuji provia/velvia slides... colours in gh4 looks weak, they do not add anything to the overall experience.

May 21, 2014 at 3:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Roberto

What if the DR in video mode using 200mb internal codec ?

May 21, 2014 at 3:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I truly want to be blown away by this camera but so far, image wise I just prefer the BlackMagic way more. Such a shame as I want to buy the GH4 but don't really like the DSLR feel anymore. I wonder if a setup with the new Atmos will reveal anything new, so I guess I just have to wait a wee bit more before making a purchase.

May 21, 2014 at 7:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Martin

I've really been excited about this camera and anxious to see some great footage. The price and specs are great and everything looks exciting about this camera, but I can't warm up to the footage through it yet. Maybe no one's really shot and graded properly for my own eyes yet, but this look isn't what I want for my own footage. Shooting the 5D MKIII in raw is not fun when it's a bigger shoot, but it just has that look...for me. I'm not denigrating the quality of the GH4 if that's the look you want, I just really, really wish it produced the look I want to see in my own footage.

May 21, 2014 at 8:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Max

Actually, 4K aside, its specs are so-so. The dynamic range off the internal recording is under 10 stops and the low light performance is mediocre at best. It may be marginally better at 10-bit or it may show that this camera's limitations lie in its sensor rather than its processing. But it seems to be well made, durable, adaptable, feature laden and affordable. Nikon doesn't seem to want to compete in the 4K sector with its D800 update but maybe Sony A99 Mk II will at around the D800 price range (~$3K-$3.5K).

May 21, 2014 at 9:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

I must say that this footage seems to be a very weak promo for this camera... most of this guys who write in this blog wish something more filmic... something in a pro level... there is too much bad cinematography in there... too many blow outs... a bad roll off... I want to see a real test in a real little pro set... not a video in a doc style... the gh4 is not a doc camera... I've shoot two long features with a simple 550d... and one of them was acquired buy an international distributor... the second one is still in my computer... anyway what I'm trying to say is that some camera with some great light and great acting and great story can change a mind... and without a real gh4 test in a real movie scene I cannot see why people would buy this camera... It just seems weak... Sony seems to be a greater tool... 4k in card apart...

May 21, 2014 at 9:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

João Marco

I've been saying this since I saw the first footage too. I think the Budapest piece is the nicest I've seen, but overall I have not been impressed. I love everything else about the camera... just not the image so far.

May 21, 2014 at 10:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lane

Dude, give it some time, the camera has only been out a few weeks, what epic did you expect to see in that interval? I have no doubt someone will shoot a feature with this camera, no doubt.

May 21, 2014 at 6:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Steve M.

Steve, I'm not saying no one will use it. (People have already shot features on nearly all low cost DSLRs) But I'm seeing some weird color science and low dynamic range that doesn't thrill me. I saw it in the initial Panasonic release videos and I've seen it in just about every one since. No one is doubting you can make the camera look acceptably good for Joe Public, but I personally like many other competing cameras image better. I don't need to be convinced otherwise.

May 21, 2014 at 8:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lane

Lane, good for you! Personally, I don't see that In the better footage I've seen shot with this camera. But, it doesn't matter, I'm not having to split hairs with anything I shoot with this camera, and I highly doubt 99.9 percent of people on this forum are either, but from reading all their posts, you'd think they're re-shooting Ben Hur. Mind you, I'm not pointing my finger at you, but there is a whole lot of wanna bes on this forum, and it's comical to read all their ridiculousness.

May 21, 2014 at 8:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Steve M.

Well said Steve!

May 22, 2014 at 1:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tnx and well said! And if you make a new Ben Hur why would you worry. You probably have access to all that gear that the studio wants you to use, with 3 operators and all the bells and whistles. Opening up the GH4 box, sliding in the battery and shooting right away in 4k is just amazing. And you know what: people dig that color! I love that camera and we will shoot a movie with it, because it works. Out of the box and in all circumstances. And not with the purple haze coming from canon. Or dropped frames with a raw hack. Anyone can now use a camera and make a movie. How cool is that! Times are a changing. Go and make a movie!

May 22, 2014 at 5:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ernest

Gotta say, I'm not particularly impressed with the GH4 footage I've seen so far. Looks quite video-ish compared to the beautifully fluid images I can get from some great vintage Nikon or Zeiss glass mounted on my Canon Mark III.

Everything is a trade-off of course, but the GH4 seems better suited to coverage other than narrative filmmaking.

I shot a period piece this past weekend with 3 MarkIII's and the clips right from the camera looks straight outta some gorgeous 70s films.

I'll wait for more GH4 stuff. Besides, who needs 4K right now anyway? Overkill for the most part.

May 21, 2014 at 10:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brad T

Common sense: you are speaking it.
There's a lot of sales hype for the GH4 right now. Once that wave passes I think we'll see a LOT less hyperbole.
It doesn't grade well off its internal recording, its electronically oversharp and its DR is frankly, terrible for 2014.
To be fair, it is fine for a lot of uses - the guy above with the kids recital? Perfect.

Sarcasm aside: I hope people who are contemplating this camera are weighing up that almost everyone who is currently promoting it has a financial stake in it being a sales success, including some of the more popular video blogs.

FULL DISCLOSURE: we have one in the office. After a flurry of test activity it has sat untouched for the last 2 weeks. Even our interns aren't interested anymore.

May 21, 2014 at 11:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

marklondon

Right there with you, dude. As someone who loved the GH2, I REALLY want to love the GH4. But I'm just not seeing it. The dynamic range and color science are just not appealing to me. I would gladly give up 4K for another stop or two of range or above-par low light performance.

Sadly, nothing in the micro 4/3s world is kicking ass on all fronts. You can either get a great image in a shit package with Blackmagic, or you can get a great all-around camera with an image that falls a bit short with the GH4. I'm sure people will still do amazing things with the GH4, but it's just not what I'm looking for.

May 21, 2014 at 10:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I attended this event tonight and there was a lot of cool guys from Panasonic who was willing to answer all of our questions and show off the features of the GH4. I listened and thought to myself these guys are doing a great job of selling the camera. But, I decided to hold my judgment until I saw the camera's footage on a large screen projected in 4k. (Recorded in camera.) They showed us 4k footage along side cameras with a price tag of 3 to 10x's more. (One of the cameras was a 6k camera with 130k dollar foot print to capture the footage.)

I was blown away and so was guys who obviously knew more technical camera stuff than me. We all had nothing to say except WOW.
Panasonic is out for Cannon and will take them out and from what I saw Red and Alexa is next.

May 22, 2014 at 1:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I can see how Panasonic is competing with Canon. But, they said they are shooting for Red and ARRI? They have plans for that?

May 22, 2014 at 2:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

Gene, I was there too, and when someone in the crowd piped up with "kill Arri and Red", the Panasonic rep (Matt from the Zacuto camera review, BTW) emphatically said that that's not what they've set to do - not their goal. He said that the camera is specifically targeted toward hybrid shooters and consumers, but also with added features that facilitate professional use, if you dig in deeper into settings, etc.

I'll post the facts and my impressions below...

May 22, 2014 at 10:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shenan

Gene,
I'm sorry if I confused you with my last statement. Panasonic did not say they are out for any one but, they were confident enough to project their 4k footage in 4k, along side Red and Arri's 4k footage says a lot. Seeing that simply tells me to trust my EYE and not geek out on specs.

Sounds familiar to the conclusion of the Zactuo Camera Shoot Outs.

May 22, 2014 at 1:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Sounds like a pretty cool event! Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it astounds me that people are not impressed with the image from the GH4. Mind you, it's not a perfect camera, but nothing is perfect. It's a given all MFT sensors aren't the best in low light, but it certainly not all together terrible either.
I don't know, but I'm thinking this camera is definitely going to encourage a lot of very cool products specifically for the GH4. And, I have not a doubt we're going to see some pretty awesome work from many that own this camera. In my opinion, this is the most significant camera produced since the Canon 5D MarkII, which we all know changed the entire video production industry.

May 22, 2014 at 10:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Steve M.

Thanks for the replies!!!

I wanted to be at this. But it was too short notice.

I agree this is a great camera, a breakthrough. Anyone that dreams of have a video camera with a professional image can afford this camera, even if they have a part time job. The key issue is getting the right lens. Luke Neumann made fantastic images with a Nikkor lens. Olympus lenses look pretty good to with it. I'm mostly looking forward to seeing the GH4 with Leica and Voightlander (the f/0.95 :-) )lenses.

May 23, 2014 at 12:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

I could say this is, yet, another example of why 4K is NOT the answer to the quest for a filmic look from a video camera but, the main problem, I believe, is that no one seems to know how to properly grade the footage coming from, not just the GH4 but, many of these types of cameras. Could be that the 8 bit codec just won't hold up (I'm sure this is a major contributing factor as 8 bit footage cannot be properly graded) but, most of this stuff looks like mildly color-corrected footage... far from a 'filmic' grade. The reason it looks wimpy is because there's no guts in it.

May 21, 2014 at 11:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Well, anyone with YAGH can run 10-bit into AJA Ki Pro Quad and see how it comes out of there.
In any case, the criticism of this camera has gotten excessive. The linked video is gorgeous on the whole, if not without some micro-blocking artifacts at higher ISO shots. It is graded professionally. Further details on the YouTube page itself.
[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbnkZcRB61E ]

May 22, 2014 at 12:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

It may be graded professionally but, that don't mean its graded properly.

May 22, 2014 at 12:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

dixter, seriously ... what is a "proper" grade? I can understand that macro-blocking ought to have been avoided by either using a superfast lens or lighting the scene - the latter of which seemed to be frowned upon in the church - but the rest of that video is very pleasing to my eye. It may not be able to match the F65 4K Raw footage but it's good enough for the independent and low/no budget work until other options in the same price range are available. Which, of course, will be soon enough.
Speaking of other available options, YAGH is shipping today. Now, I really want to see the 10-bit graded footage off Ki Pro Quad.

Meanwhile, here's some more internal 4K [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Pg2nYPPjE ]

May 22, 2014 at 11:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Many videos I see here and in other places, GH4 and other cameras, look, IMO, simply color-corrected. Color correction is not a grade. These videos do little to create drama or emotional impact that a good grade can do. I'm sure many will say it's obvious, color and contrast have a huge influence on the response of the viewer but, I'm saying it here to emphasize and support my case. These color-corrected, yet ungraded videos look thin, characterless and, in so many cases, elicit no emotional response. That's why I think a lot people don't feel strongly (read: negative criticism) about some of these cameras. They are, most likely, able to deliver the goods but, their presentations don't do them justice.

May 22, 2014 at 10:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I generally don't disagree with the above but there haven't been many narratives with a "dramatic" grading (off dramatic lighting) yet. We'll see what happens with YAGH and the 10-bit recording. Sony A7s should outperform it on the high end/pro use but will also require a greater investment.

May 23, 2014 at 12:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Agreed that the criticism is unjustifiably excessive. I think we're just starting to barely get a hint of what the camera is capable of.

May 22, 2014 at 10:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shenan

Panasonic will have a live stream from B&H New York with its photogs and reps on the 27th.

May 22, 2014 at 11:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

It could be that most people are not searching for filmic.

May 22, 2014 at 12:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

No... that's what most people are looking for.

May 22, 2014 at 12:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

most? you sure? because i see just some commenters on the internet going on about it. haven't met anyone outside the virtual world going on about it---ever

May 22, 2014 at 2:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

Pretty much everything I read relating to video cameras is, "It looks too video-y, it's not filmic". Or, "This camera has a very filmic look."
If you don't see that, you're not looking very hard.

May 22, 2014 at 10:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I didn't say there was no one in internet comments who is hardcore on this "filmic" thing. I said outside the virtual (i.e., the internet) world no one is caring about it. You are referring exclusively to internet comments.

Just do this easy experiment: get two clip boards and a friend, one clip board for you, one for your friend, and stand in front of a theater telling people you're doing an internet poll about the new image in movies. Ask people a few questions about the look of movies now and what they looked like 10 to 15 years ago (i.e., back before "filmic" was trounced out by digital). Ask if they want movies to go back to that look or if they think what there is now is good. And make one of the questions be, "Is this poll question even being asked a waste of time?" You will see how many people care about "filmic".

May 23, 2014 at 1:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

Joe Simon, the shooter for the Budapest piece shot with the GH4, was quoted on a podcast last night, saying he felt the camera had a filmic look to it. Personally, I think you'd have a hard time getting any 4K image to look filmic. It's just the nature of the image, 4K is all about resolution, however, I won't say it's impossible to get that filmic look from a GH4, it's just not going to come easy. And, what's filmic to one isn't for another, so what does it all matter anyway? In the end, we can all agree to disagree!

May 23, 2014 at 12:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Steve M.

I was at the screening, here are the details, and my thoughts:

All the shots made for(?) the screening were shot internal DCI 4K 24p with pre-release firmware and Cine-D profile, and all footage was shown on a 4K cinema projector on a 10(?) foot screen. I was sitting on the front row, I would say about 12-15 feet away from the screen. Caveat that I'm not a professional cinematographer or colorist, but just an enthusiast with some training and who reads a lot about this stuff.

What was shown: One daylight exterior shot on the GH4 with a model, some foliage, and some houses on the background, with a patch of sunlight on the siding of one of the houses that was way overexposed (they said 5 stops overexposed), which they said they left in so we could see what that looked/behaved like. They showed this shot both graded and ungraded. From what could be determined from this shot (i.e. there was no camera motion so couldn't evaluate that), everything looked fine to me. There was lots of detail, like individual hair strands that were floating away from the model's head, on a loose medium shot. DR was hard to really evaluate from viewing for a few seconds, but I recall there was plenty of detail in the dark foliage behind the model. The overexposed area on the house looked nuclear, as to be expected, but hard to determine falloff, because it seemed like a sharp sunlight patch.

All the remaining shots were of the same model in front of a greenscreen, lit indoors. This shot they repeated on the GH4 at 4K, Arri Alexa at 2.8K(?), RED Epic Dragon at 6K, Canon 5D mkIII (ML Raw - 1080p?) and Canon 1DC at 4K. The same lens was used for every shot (Schneider Xenon). They color corrected for both the skin tones and the greenscreen, at this professional post-production facility.

The 1DC footage was shown graded two different ways, because they could not get a grade that was suitable for both skin tone and greenscreen, so they targeted them separately. On the skintone grade, the greenscreen looked fairly bluish. On the greenscreen grade, the skintone looked sickly, IIRC. Other than that, all the other cameras looked fairly similar. The main noticeable difference was the sharpness/detail: the Dragon and GH4 looked sharpest, then probably 1DC, Alexa, and finally 5D, as to be expected. There was a seam on the greenscreen that was a visible fine black line on the sharpest cameras that was almost completely invisible on the least sharp cameras. I thought the colors looked good on all the cameras except the 1DC. What I could see of the DR on the model's hair, face, and eyes was inconclusive because of the brief screening.

In the end, it seemed to me that if you were willing to adjust sharpness, grading, and perhaps lighting, you could cut the Dragon, Alexa, and GH4 together. That's just my amateur opinion.

May 22, 2014 at 11:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shenan

Oh, I forgot to add that they also showed the Panasonic Yucatan, Mexico promo video in UHD 29.97p. Looked fantastic.

May 22, 2014 at 11:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shenan

Thanks for the review.

I think it was daring to have a 6K sensor in the comparison. If the GH4 stood up well to it that says more about the GH4 than even I had thought.

I'm not surprised about the 1D not holding up in a comparison. Canon cameras make pedestrian video.

May 23, 2014 at 1:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

Keep in mind that people are still figuring out how to shoot and grade their footage with the GH4...

I thought this little quick GH4 demo gives some hint about what may be possible with the GH4 : http://vimeo.com/95721024

May 22, 2014 at 5:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Guy McLoughlin

I'll wait for better tests... or some sony 7s footage...
...

May 23, 2014 at 10:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

João Marco

Now that people are starting to really figure out this camera, I'm starting to like and be way more impressed with the footage I see shot with the GH4.

May 23, 2014 at 11:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Not to mention Tiffen just came out with many filters to aid in taking that edge, so-to-speak off the 4K image.

May 24, 2014 at 6:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Steve M.

Reading so much pretentious bullshit from the self-professed auteurs here makes me laugh and cry at the same time. Fuck me! An amazing camera like the GH4 is made available for a pittance...and still the wankers whinge!

I have been using two GH4's for several weeks and what a quantum leap in capability compared to the hacked GH2's and the GH3's ....let alone the Canon, Nikon and Sony crap I briefly tried in recent years.

Magic Lantern...Canon Raw...Sony Dumbarse-Tech (at least they have finally stopped shoving PsF down our throats)...what a load of stop-gap nonsense for the indy wet-dreamers. Too much time wanking over "grading" to get that elusive Filum Effekt. Grow up guys!

Just go get a GH4 ....and go shoot video (yep...it is fucking VIDEO). Enough of the navel gazing in La La Land...

July 7, 2014 at 7:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM