September 1, 2014

Metabones Just Made the Speed Booster Even Better

Metabones Speed Booster ULTRA Canon EF NEX Front and Back
The Metabones Speed Booster, a device first announced close to two years ago, not only reduces the effect of crop factors on smaller sensors, but provides shooters an extra stop of light. Now Metabones has just announced the Speed Booster ULTRA, which promises even higher optical performance than the original.

Like the original Speed Booster, the ULTRA still has the same feature set in that it widens the field of view by 0.71x — which effectively allows for a full-frame field of view on s35-sized sensors — and it provides an extra stop of light. However, what sets the ULTRA apart from its predecessor is a major boost in optical performance, which is derived from incorporating highly improved optical elements made from ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass into the manufacturing process.

Here's what Metabones has to say about the new adapters in their recent press release:

The new ULTRA design makes very effective use of exotic materials at the furthest limit of glassmaking technology, and as a result is well corrected for use with virtually all fullframe SLR lenses regardless of exit pupil distance. Thus, the Speed Booster ULTRA performs extremely well with professional-grade f/2.8 zoom lenses such as the 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 zooms by Canon and Nikon to produce 17-50mm f/2.0 and 50-142mm f/2.0 high-speed zooms, respectively. Similarly, high-speed fixed focal length lenses such as a 50mm f/1.2 will be transformed into a 35.5mm f/0.9 lens with excellent contrast and resolution from the center all the way to the edges of the image.

Metabones Speed Booster Canon EF to NEX Speed Booster ULTRA Flat

With the new Speed Booster ULTRA, you can expect optical performance to vastly improve in a number of areas, chiefly in corner-to-corner sharpness, vignetting, and various types of optical distortion.

The Speed Booster ULTRA models are available to buy right now from the Metabones website, so it shouldn't be long before we see them in the wild. How much cash will a Speed Booster ULTRA set you back, you ask? Luckily, not much more than the original Speed Booster:

• US $450 for Olympus OM, Rollei QBM, Minota MD, Leica R, Canon FD, Contax Yashica mounts
  • US $480 for Nikon G, Sony A mounts
  • US $500 for ALPA, Contartex mounts
  • US $650 for Canon EF to NEX mount

We'll keep you guys updated with all of the latest news on the Speed Booster ULTRA, especially once we start to see footage shot with the new device.

Wonder if they'l make a .58x focal ewduction version too?

September 1, 2014 at 5:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

vincegortho

Metabones services has one of the worst customer service I have ever seen. On site there's no explanation about the date that will be available the speedboster EF to M43. And they do not answer emails with questions. Terrible.

September 1, 2014 at 6:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Luis

HI Luis, I actually ordered EF to m43 fspeedbooster from metabones website last week and received it today... I was impressed by the fast shipping to Switzerland from Hong Kong

September 1, 2014 at 6:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe

I asked them a question and they got back to me really quickly late at night. No complaints here.

September 1, 2014 at 6:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Luis, I have always had great customer service maybe you are not using the correct methods of contacting them. Not trying to accuse you of anything just trying to suggest that there may be more at play here than your experience.

September 1, 2014 at 7:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Completely disagree with you Luis. I stripped one of the mounting screws on the speedboosters optional mount (would not recommend using, continue reading...), and one of the screws had completely stripped itself free from the actual speedbooster. Luckily the other screw held on and I only had a close call with the camera suddenly twisting to the side. After taking a closer look I found that the actual screws they gave me were not the correct length to fully enter in their female half fully (thus only the tip of the mount stripped). Anyhow, I ended up emailing them about the matter and they replied emmediately (one day later), and send new screws from China (which is where they're based?). The package they send got tampered with and was empty by the time I received it, so they sent another pair in a more low-key envelope, and I've been happy since.

Cant seem to find any logic in what you've said, atleast according to my experience with them.

September 1, 2014 at 7:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Would love an edit function :P

September 1, 2014 at 7:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

HI Luis, I felt the same but they sent me a email with direct link. Suggest you put yourselff in waitlist by putting email in notification if you have not already.

September 1, 2014 at 10:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Archie

least there products are outstanding!

September 3, 2014 at 9:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

charlieboy

Joe, the availability lasted only two days. Then, on all sites like adorama, BH and including the metabones.com the product appears as unavailable.

September 1, 2014 at 6:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Luis

So they sold out of their initial stock. There's no magic speed booster tree, they'll be manufacturing a fixed number each month. Even if they did employ someone to reply to emails, 200-300 replies a day is about the maximum. Demand for the product could be very high - how many pocket cameras do you think blackmagic sold to EF lens owners?

If you want one, pre-order with a local dealer that has an allocation from the next batch.

September 1, 2014 at 6:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

nobody

How does this speedbooster compare to the bmcc specific speedbooster? Would it be as optically sound? Is the ultra designed around the 4mm glass or the 2mm of the blackmagic?

September 1, 2014 at 6:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Taylor c

So I was literally going to buy the EF-MFT speedbooster, should I not now since the ultras are coming out? will the ultra version replace the current EF-MFT?

September 1, 2014 at 7:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Omar

FZ? I wait in vain.

September 1, 2014 at 7:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JPS

If we're lucky, there'll be a price reduction on the first version. Fingers crossed.

September 1, 2014 at 8:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

"derived from incorporating highly improved optical elements made from ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass into the manufacturing process" -Geordi LaForge

September 1, 2014 at 8:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kent

Aren't these adapters supposed to be "'to and fro", i.e., X-mount to Y-mount?

September 1, 2014 at 10:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Anyone know if this will work with a Canon 20mm lens on a Sony FS700 without significant vignetting? I would love that extra stop...

September 2, 2014 at 3:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

So if Ultra "optical performance is vastly improved", where does that leave S/booster MFT vastly inferior version? Will there be an Ultra for MFT?

September 2, 2014 at 11:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

William

None of the owners / reviewers of the "vanilla" speedboosters mentioned their optical inferiority. Either the optical changes made are not that much of a deal (say hello to diminishing returns), or the reviews of the previous version are somewhat disingenuous. I'm not too surprised though, this is the nature of the game, if you read online gear reviews for a while, you get used to it.

September 3, 2014 at 12:48AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Akos

Are they making an ULTRA version for 4/3rds cameras? I have three weeks to return my new one if so...

September 3, 2014 at 3:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Eric

Hi can someone kindly advise if the speed booster
Will work with my BMCC EF on the Canon lenses

September 4, 2014 at 4:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mark

Will there ever be an EF - EF metabones? If that's not possible or if there are certain design limitations/hurdles, would someone mind offering a brief explanation of that? I assume there must be, or else they'd be available.
It would be nice to use with a 7D to achieve a slight speed boost, more importantly combat the APS-C crop and get some new legs out of my existing lens set.
thanks.

September 14, 2014 at 6:53AM

J.M. Anderson
Director of Photography

Using the first version Speed Buster with Sony FS700. What they believe are relevant points to upgrade to the new version Ultra ?. I understand that it is intended for APC sensors and sensor of my camera is a Super 35mm. Greetings from Chile.

November 18, 2014 at 10:45AM, Edited November 18, 10:45AM