September 24, 2014

Oscar-Winning Screenwriter Eric Roth Takes You on a Tour of His Writing Process

Eric Roth
If you're going to learn about the process of screenwriting, it might as well be from an Academy Award winner.

Every writer has their own process -- some prefer waking up at the crack of dawn and working in an office, while others prefer working on their couch in their pajamas until the sun comes up. (I like to keep it classy.) You may not know what you prefer, but know, at least, that there's no right or wrong way to write a script. It doesn't matter if you take your time to research and meticulously plan out every scene, or if you become the Zazel of screenwriting and blast yourself into the P.T. Barnum Circus that is your script. The important thing here is finding out what works for you.

In fact, I admire how Roth uses that old DOS program. I'm not a hater of trends or technology or anything, but sometimes the bells and whistles are a little too much for me, at least in the beginning. And I occasionally feel a bit behind the times when I bust out my notebook to write scenes by hand (laptop = mysterious brooding writer; notebook = hormonal angsty teenager), but it helps me get my story on the page more efficiently. Roth embraces his process, which is a great lesson to learn, because in the end, your process exists to accommodate (and even inspire) your creativity, and if it doesn't, well -- you might want to try a new approach.

How/where/when do you write? Share your thoughts on Eric Roth's process as well as your own in the comments below.

Gotta commend the NFS for getting us these great articles and personalities!

Thanks for all your hard work guys!!!

September 24, 2014 at 5:01PM

Alex Zakrividoroga
Director

Sort of off topic, but does anyone know of any good screenwriting programs? I really need one that's able to import Microsoft word files or .PDF's.

September 24, 2014 at 5:06PM

Emerson Shaw
Student

final draft should work (https://www.finaldraft.com/), not sure about celtx (https://www.celtx.com/index.html)

September 24, 2014 at 5:24PM

Arjun Kukreti
Cinematographer/Editor

Thanks very much! I'll check it out.

September 24, 2014 at 6:17PM

Emerson Shaw
Student

September 24, 2014 at 6:10PM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director, producer, dp

Thanks, I'll check it out!

September 24, 2014 at 6:17PM

Emerson Shaw
Student

I have been collaborating with another screenwriter this year.... we have become big fans of writerduet.com. Free. Web-based. It's great. Don't know about importing though.

September 24, 2014 at 6:11PM, Edited September 24, 6:11PM

Bob Peck
Director

Thanks for the info!

September 24, 2014 at 6:17PM

Emerson Shaw
Student

Thanks, do you can export in other formats?

September 25, 2014 at 2:36AM

Ragüel Cremades
Film producer and director

I believe Writer Duet imports PDFs. (https://www.writerduet.com). It's an excellent program, and it's free! That is, if you don't mind the script living in the cloud. In order to backup documents on your hard drive, you'd need the PRO version. Which still is pretty affordable at $45. ($35 with the student discount you'd probably qualify for)
Another program you might want to consider is John August's Highland (http://quoteunquoteapps.com/highland/). I believe it has a very reliable PDF conversion. Mac only, $30.
Good luck with your writing aspirations.

September 24, 2014 at 6:18PM

Haha, cloud-based screenwriting software would give Eric Roth a heart attack.

September 24, 2014 at 6:32PM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director, producer, dp

I'll be sure and check it out, thanks!

September 24, 2014 at 9:45PM

Emerson Shaw
Student

Great tips! I was going to ask the same thing. I tried Final Draft and I'm ok with it, but I'm gonna give other options a chance to see how they work out.

September 24, 2014 at 6:22PM

Highland will import PDF, and I assume Word docs as well. It's fountain-based and very minimalist, if that's up your alley.

September 25, 2014 at 1:53PM

Brynn Sankey
Filmmaker

Have a look at Scrivener. Bit of a learning curve, but you'll love it.

September 26, 2014 at 4:09PM

Eddy Kindermans
Screenwriter/Director

I'm still finding my process but I like to work on things after 10pm with little to no distracting people awake. I play some ambient music from SoundCloud and let those guards down.

September 24, 2014 at 8:04PM, Edited September 24, 8:04PM

Adam Flo

Wow. Really simple process that works for him.

September 24, 2014 at 10:11PM

Dantly Wyatt
Musical Comedy & Content Creator.

This great professional give us a clear idea than our brain still being the better technology in the world and matter more than all of everything ;D

September 25, 2014 at 2:35AM

Ragüel Cremades
Film producer and director

The dude needs to try Slugline...

September 25, 2014 at 1:51PM

Brynn Sankey
Filmmaker

My routine (and this is just for my craft and just wrote my first feature) is to go to the gym first and work out. Most of the story and character slowly trickles in when on the treadmill. After, I go get an ice coffee, put "Journey to the Line" by Hans Zimmer on repeat and write in the library till closing. I definitely understand Roth with writing on an outdated system, being part of the spiritual ritual of his craft. I write my scripts on word and find it enjoyable doing all the margin work myself. I don't know, I just find it part of the meditative process.

September 25, 2014 at 8:15PM

bobunitone
Editor/Director/Writer/All Round Great Dude

Eric Roth is a real genius. It's my dream to get introduced to him one day to order a screenplay for my movie "Life-Long Return" (aka Full Circle).

September 27, 2014 at 7:30AM

Oleg Lubske
Producer / Developer

I write my first vomit-drafts longhand (where I have to just vomit the idea onto the page in a blurr of activity; no editing, no worrying if the scene "works" etc). Once finished I leave it to simmer for a while, working on something new, and then I start to type it up.

I use Celtx for this. Nice simple program, very intuitive to use and best of all - it's free. I edit as I go and this becomes my rough draft. Two more passes, all edited within Celtx and there we have it: my official first draft, which can be sent out.

September 30, 2014 at 2:38AM