Canon Just Announced an Insane 50-1000mm Servo Zoom Lens
[Update]: We now have pricing and availability information below.
The new Canon Cine-Servo 50-1000mm T5.0-8.9 lens can cover Super 35mm, has a removable servo drive, and has a built-in 1.5x extender that turns the lens into a 75mm-1500mm. It's going to make a lot of people happy, especially those who shoot sports or wildlife, and if you're shooting on a camera like a C300/C500 or F5/F55 that can see well into the dark, the slow speed of the lens at the longer focal lengths won't matter as much.
Here are the specs:
- EF or PL Mount
- Focal Length: 50 - 1000mm (75-1500mm w/ 1.5xEXT)
- Maximum Relative Aperture: T5.0 at 50-560mm
- T8.9 at 1000mm
- T7.5 at 75-840mm
- T13.35 at 1500mm (1.5x）
- Iris Blades: 11
- Front Diameter: φ136mm
- Size: (W x H x L) 175 x 170.6 x 413.2mm (EF mount) 175x170.6x405.2mm (PL Mount)
- Weight: 6.6kg (14.5 pounds)
- Gear Pitch — Focus: 0.8/0.5 Zoom: 0.5 Iris: 0.5
- Availability: First Quarter 2015
- Price: $78,000 (List price)
With the lens coming in at about 16 inches long and 14.5 pounds in either PL or EF, it's certainly not going to be portable like the 17-120mm they showed off at NAB (though it is lighter than the Optimo). This lens will probably find more cinema use in the 50-560mm range due to the constant aperture and slightly faster speed, though in daylight the speed is less of a concern.