November 21, 2014

The Little DARling, Now With Wireless Control, Could Change How Guerrilla Filmmakers Capture Audio

JuicedLink Little DARling gets Wireless Control
My most anticipated product of the year just got more drool-worthy. JuicedLink's micro-sized recording unit, designed for obtaining high quality sound with a stealthy profile, now adds new features -- including wireless control & digital slate tone.

Since its announcement at NAB earlier this year, I've been pining to get my hands on a few of these units for guerrilla filmmaking applications. Now with the added functionality of wirelessly recording, this unit just might be a perfect product. Here's Robert Rozak with the update:

The MCU for the wireless receiver sends a slate signal to the analog mixer that is part of the analog preamp chain before the codec. So, this gets captured by the codec ADC and recorded onto the DARling audio file. Additionally, the slate signal is split out (before the codec) to the DARling output jack. So, you can use an additional DARling on the camera, where the DARling slate output goes into the camera and is recorded on the camera's audio track. Now, when you hit the wireless transmitter slate button, all of the individual DARlings being worn by your talent as well as your camera get simultaneously slated, so you've got something to align all of your audio with your video.

We're also working on a PC/MAC program that will automatically rename your files in your computer to something logical, so they can be managed. What you'll do is log the scene or interview name for each clip in a text file on your smartphone.

This news definitely addresses the main implementation concerns that have been voiced about the product since its announcement. Robert also addresses features that he isn't committing to addressing with the Little DARling, like timecode:

I keep getting asked about timecode. Personally, it doesn't make sense to me. These are not going to be 0.1ppm clocks, so they're going to drift just like your camera. The Little DARling concept no longer makes sense if you're connecting a Lock-it Box to it.

Still no clear release date for the Little DARling units, but it sounds like it's very close! Are any of you planning on using these units? How do these new features change your potential application for the units? Let us know!

Depending on price I might. There have been a few time with car scenes where i just do not want to be in there (not Safe) and don.t want.to leave my mixer in there. Could also make a great on person BU recorder combined with a g3 for when you have issues with range.

November 21, 2014 at 8:45PM

Will Youngman
Sound Mixer

I think it's a good solution for one men shooting. I bought some smartlav as backup but the sound is too bad, I don't use them that much. So this would be a good solution if it's as good as he pretend it is.
Of course it depend on the price. If he stay around the zoom H1 price tag I would buy one or two. If it's more expensive, well I would probably wait a bit.
The slate remote is a good idea too.

November 22, 2014 at 11:36AM, Edited November 22, 11:36AM

AvdS
Filmmaker

I seriously doubt this will be in the Zoom H1 price range... probably more like 3-5 times that amount.

November 22, 2014 at 11:57AM

if it gets close to that amount, I might as well buy a g3 system

November 22, 2014 at 3:35PM

Wondering how much the new Tascam DR-10CS will differ from his version. See http://tascam.com/product/dr-10c/ for more info. Strange thing is that a week ago, this product got pulled from the US market, but is still going on sale in a couple of days here in the EU. There has been chatter that Zaxcom has patents on some of the important parts of both Tascam and JuicedLink, but I'm wondering if JL will be able to release his version ...

November 22, 2014 at 2:19PM, Edited November 22, 2:19PM

Frank

The Tascam sounds at least as good, the only think is that Tascam preamp may be less good than jucelinks's, but they have more experience in recording so only a test will tell us what's best. I bet the Tascam will be more affordable, probably poorer preamp but a better quality for the price.
There is also the question of the sync, with the idea of the clapper remote. For my use that's not a problem because I am happy with the solution I have found. I carefully put the same hours, same sec on each device, sound recorders and cameras and then I sync automatically with final cut pro X. I think final cut recognize the time of the recording too because it never miss.

November 23, 2014 at 7:20AM

AvdS
Filmmaker

I wasn't aware of the Tascam product, but hope they will make it available in the US market. Tascam has been improving preamps in their low-end gear, and the DC-10c could be targeted to professionals.

November 26, 2014 at 1:38PM, Edited November 26, 1:38PM

David Patterson
videographer/editor

November 23, 2014 at 5:11PM

AvdS
Filmmaker

Great idea, except for the fact that Robert Rozak wants you to buy a second DARling just for recording the slate tone on the camera. That's a waste of money for the guerilla filmmaker!

The remote control should have an audio-out which outputs the slate tone. Mount the remote control to your camera and you're set.

November 24, 2014 at 6:46AM, Edited November 24, 6:46AM

Marcel Heemskerk
Independent Film Maker

Am I dreaming or is the audio not in sync?

November 24, 2014 at 7:40AM

Eddy Kindermans
Screenwriter/Director

I like the idea of this, but still makes me nervous not being able to monitor the audio.

November 24, 2014 at 10:48AM

Clayton Arnall
Camera Pointer

Agreed. Monitoring audio is crucial.

November 26, 2014 at 1:40PM

David Patterson
videographer/editor

It appears that Tascam's own version of this item has been hit with a patent infringement by JuicedLink.
What Id really like to see is a wireless lav system with built in recorders.

November 26, 2014 at 11:29PM

devtank
photographer

As I shared in the comment above, it seems it's not JuicedLink vs Tascam patent infringment - but Tascam vs Zaxcom (and possibly also JL in the future). For more info, check: http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/23273-invention-innovation-and-...

November 27, 2014 at 9:19AM, Edited November 27, 9:19AM

Frank

Zaxcom has been doing this for a few years with the ZFR series. They are dialed in.

December 3, 2014 at 1:49AM, Edited December 3, 1:48AM