November 22, 2014

Zacuto Gratical HD Micro OLED EVF is Now Available for Pre-Order at a $200 Discount

It's fascinating to see a product from announcement to delivery, but that's exactly the case with the OLED screen inside the new Zacuto Gratical HD EVF. We first wrote about the 1280 x 1024 Micro OLED screen back in February 2012, and now we're finally seeing it used in a real product:

Zacuto introduced their new high-end Gratical HD Micro OLED and Gratical LT electronic viewfinders at NAB 2014, and though it's been some time since the show, the HD EVF is now available to pre-order, with the first units shipping in January.

The Gratical HD EVF will start shipping on January 15th, 2015. Please note that it may take 1-3 weeks for your order to be delivered. When shipping begins, the Gratical HD will be available to order direct from Zacuto and our complete worldwide dealer network. As of January 15th, 2015, retail price will be $3800 USD and the reduced pre-order price will no longer be available.

Here's our video from NAB with Zacuto:

The specs of the Gratical HD:

• 0.61" OLED EVF
  • 24-Bit RGB 1280 x 720 Resolution (Full display is 1280×1024)
  • HD-SDI & HDMI Loop Through & Cross Convert
  • Zebra, Vectorscope, Waveform, Histogram
  • Peaking, False Color, Test Pattern
  • LUT Creation and Import
  • Audio Meters
  • Four Programmable Buttons
  • Built-In -1 to +4 Diopter Adjustment
  • ARRI Rosette & 1/4"-20 Mounting
  • Powers from Included LP-E6 Battery
  • Availability: January 2014
  • Price: $3,800 ($3,600 during pre-order)

At the moment the pre-order is only for the Gratical HD, and not for the LT with the 1024 x 768 screen, so we'll have to wait on that one. Right now there are still over 600 pre-order units available, so there is plenty of time to get an order in if you've been waiting on this one.

Zacuto's always got the coolest stuff I can't afford.

November 22, 2014 at 7:48PM

Derik Savage
Producer / Director / Editor / Camera / Colorist / Audio Engineer / Sales / Marketing

$3800? this company is so hilarious in their stupidity

November 22, 2014 at 7:50PM

Arri EVF-1 $5,000
Red Bomb EVF $3,000
Sony DVF-EL100 $4,900

Arri, Red, & Sony must all be stupid too, or maybe you're just ignorant of the higher end markets out there.

November 25, 2014 at 3:10AM

Matthew Emmanuel
Camera Operator

$3800? this company is so hilarious in their stupidity

November 22, 2014 at 7:50PM, Edited November 22, 7:50PM

$3800? this company is so hilarious in their stupidity

November 22, 2014 at 7:50PM, Edited November 22, 7:50PM

$3800? this company is so hilarious in their stupidity

November 22, 2014 at 7:50PM

sorry please delete duplicates

November 22, 2014 at 7:52PM

Hmmm...should save up to buy one fabulous Zacuto eyepiece, or _all five_ Veydra M43 CinePrimes? Which will produce a better picture?

November 23, 2014 at 12:13AM

Apples and oranges. This EVF is meant to rival (and supposedly surpasses) the Alexa eyepiece, which I'm sure if you wanted to buy alone, would cost just as much if not more. Advantage is this Zacuto one can work on any camera, which is a big selling point. $3800 is a very pretty penny, but if I had a camera package that I rented to people, you can bet I would be adding this to my kit.

November 23, 2014 at 2:00AM, Edited November 23, 2:00AM

Alan Dembek
Camera Assistant

"Which will produce a better picture?" more than likely the EFV will... well not on its own but an in focus and well exposed shot through any half decent lens would look better than a messed up shot because you are squinting through a poor viewfinder without scopes.

December 5, 2014 at 12:41AM

Ray B
TheSBimage.com

For that price I'm liking something like a smallHD dp7 more. It's a bit more versatile for use on a movi or on the side of your camera for the focus puller. These Zacuto guys make great products but man they are annoying in their videos. Apparently at NAB they also had the Alphatron set up incorrectly at their booth to make this look better.

November 23, 2014 at 2:04AM

matt

This technology is awesome. The little bit of Zacuto products I own are all top notch. However at that price, it'll never be something I can justify purchasing.

As time goes on and OLED screens become cheaper. Also when someone reverse engineers this, it'll likely be more adoptable. I presume this is geared towards the Dragon/Alexa group, but man, I'd love to own one.

November 23, 2014 at 4:44AM

Alex Smith
Documentary/Cinematographer

Having tested the Gratical at NAB I must say it was not bad but also not incredible, for that money I would expect to be blown away. I think I will take a closer look at the F&V EVF again which is also 720p resolution and useable as a monitor as well.

November 23, 2014 at 10:48AM

I have it and overall I really like it, hoping to do a video review soon, but if you have any questions about the f & v let me know and I'd be happy to answer them

November 24, 2014 at 12:45PM

Nice, looking forward to your review a lot! With which camera do you use it? I saw that they shortened the loupe after NAB, does it distort the image in any way?

November 25, 2014 at 6:48AM

$3800 is ridiculous smh you could get a flanders monitor for that price.

November 23, 2014 at 7:36PM

Brad Watts
Filmmaker/Creative Director - Redd Pen Media

I'm more likely to see if I can 'scrape by' with an Atomos Shogun instead.

November 24, 2014 at 12:55AM

Why do these external OLED EVFs cost so much ?

Lots of cameras ( Fuji X-E1, Panasonic GH4, Sony A7S, etc... ) use OLED EVFs, and these cameras cost much less than this Zacuto Gratical EVF. So why are these external finders so expensive ?

November 24, 2014 at 11:16AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

The Pre-order price is Available at EVS in Glendale, CA. http://www.evsonline.com/zacuto-gratical-hd-micro-oled-evf.html
We think the OLED monitor and the ARRI Rosette mounting are two of the smartest features of the Gratical HD. Call EVS sales with any questions and our staff will take care of you the best.

November 24, 2014 at 2:14PM, Edited November 24, 2:14PM

Allright Carl, i'm gonna give you 4000$ to buy us a camera system so we can get this video production business up and running.

Carl goes out, comes back with the new Zacuto viewfinder.

Carl...where is the camera?

November 24, 2014 at 2:41PM

Michael Van Ostade
Director

I just purchased a Zacuto Gratical on the B&H site.. When it gets here in January, I'm really hoping that it's Arri or Red level quality for the price or I'll be returning it in short order.. I do suspect, however, that EVF's are quite expensive and difficult to produce.. Most emerging mid-level camera companies (Blackmagic, AJA, and even Sony and Canon to a certain extent) have conspicuously omitted high quality EVF's from their feature set in lieu of "flip out" LED screens or LED screens with focused tube modifiers.. I, for one, like a high quality multi-positional viewfinder (hello, Alexa and Epic) for critic focus and plain old attention isolation.. Let's hope that Zacuto got it right!

November 26, 2014 at 1:11AM

Scott Bryant
Creative Director

Nice way to continue Zacuto's tradition to sell overpriced gear.

November 26, 2014 at 7:16AM

Isaac Alonzo
Photographer / Cinematographer

Wow! The same Resolution like my 3 Inch Monitor on the GH4, which turned out to be not enough for accurate 4K filming.
I therefore orderd the FHD Atomos Shogun, which comes with a HQ recoder attached for free!!!

November 26, 2014 at 7:02PM, Edited November 26, 7:02PM