March 14, 2015

Hilarious Parody Video: DP Discovers That He Has to Shoot on a RED Camera

*Cinematographer speaking to rental house* "What do you mean you're all out of ARRI ALEXAs?! All you have left are RED cameras!?!?"

In a hilarious new parody video (by YouTube user Kinda Forgetful Videos) that has been making the rounds in the filmmaking community — and what appears to a re-subtitled version of an incredibly strange Spanish talk show — a cinematographer had exactly that dilemma, finding out that RED is his only option for an upcoming shoot. Needless to say, hilarity ensues.

Even though some are sure to find this video distinctly unfunny because they're avid users or fans of RED cameras, it's important to remember that our technology and our tools don't define us. There's no doubt that pretty much every camera coming out these days is capable of producing incredible images in the right hands, and REDs are no exception. Still though, it's just a whole lot of fun to lampoon RED every now and again.

So this is the new hitler video I guess...

March 14, 2015 at 7:57PM

seanmclennan
Story Teller

There's a challenge to someone. "Hitler discovers the Hitler movie is shot on a RED" etc etc.

The thing is that Tarantino shooting on VHS is better than most people using 6K. Years ago I went to a museum in London where there was a exhibition of charcoal sketches on paper by Da Vinci. Bits of burnt wood rubbed on paper and the work of genius.

March 15, 2015 at 11:52AM

Julian Richards
Film Warlord

I've seen full color by Akiane. Genius. :-)

March 21, 2015 at 8:30PM, Edited March 21, 8:30PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

that made me pee my pants. thank you.

March 16, 2015 at 4:36PM, Edited March 16, 4:36PM

Ed David
Director of Photography

Thanks for a good laugh!
I completely lost it at the bit about the fan interfering with the whale sonar! hahahah

Side Note:
Fan control defaulted to a quieter "Adaptive" mode about 2 years ago (a boon to first time users), so pretty much the fan issue is non-existent in regular use (unless you point a 1K or higher at the camera body)

Off Topic:
I suspect Arri cams are positioned as rentals from the get go, thus are positioned as more intuitive to first time users. Red on the other-hand. I feel have more often been positioned for ownership w/ the exception you RTFM. I'm inclined to think that due to Red cams being more commonly owned by filmmakers then Arri cams, there-in lies an explanation on the perception Arri cams are more "in demand" from a rental house perspective. Just my 2 cents.

March 16, 2015 at 6:27PM

Daniel Reed
Hat Collector

[correction]
...thus are "designed" as more intuitive...

...w/ the "expectation" you RTFM.

March 16, 2015 at 7:43PM

Daniel Reed
Hat Collector

Effing hilarious. Even more hilarious is how all the low budget indie guys who don't know any better are gonna start ragging on the Red cameras after they see this. It's gonna be Alexa this and Alexa that.

March 14, 2015 at 8:08PM

Don Way
Writer/Director of Photography

I haven't shot on an Alexa camera, but the RED cameras I've worked with (a couple of different models of Epic) do seem like a mess in terms of build quality and functionality of the design. They make up for it with great images and a very convenient compression system.

March 14, 2015 at 9:08PM, Edited March 14, 9:08PM

Philip Heinrich
Director, Producer

Robert, bro, I really like the majority of your articles, they're useful and reasonably well researched and put together. I know you can do better than Buzzfeeding us. Honestly, nothing personal, it's just that click-bait is a bad habit too many are falling into these days.

March 15, 2015 at 3:54AM, Edited March 15, 3:54AM

Jacob Floyd
Writer / Videographer

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely days where I should be called out for clickbaity shit, but I don't think this is one of them. I thought the video was hilarious, so I shared it with a title that says exactly what the video is. Nothing sensational or hyperbolic about it.

March 15, 2015 at 2:29PM

Rob Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker Freedom

How is "Here's a funny video" clickbait?

March 15, 2015 at 10:01PM

Noah Diamond
Editor

Like always, it's about talent. The apple version was funny. This one sounds like the work of a stupid dishonest embittered nerd. There is one million things about red that could have been funny and ridiculous to talk about instead.

March 15, 2015 at 3:58AM

Jim Jeune

Well, I own a Red Scarlet and even though I think Red is probably some of the best cameras for Independent Operators, I always thought Alexa cameras gave a better image (and now even with a great compact body with the Alexa Mini) but I honestly didn't really think this was funny because it adressed problems that aren't there anymore. I mean fans, really? Sure that will be a problem if you don't know how to use the camera. My point is I have no problem of making fun of any camera but at least use relevant material, like how the Ursa is over 8 Kg an has a freaking huge screen where your face is supposed to be if you put the camera on your shoulder.
Just saying.

March 15, 2015 at 4:07AM

I own a Red too and I don't really understand why Red never made any effort to offer some sort of Alexa/film look in RCX. I mean something like a specific Redgamma and a specific Redcolor. They always offer very harsch looks. Using Alchemy in RCX and some Hue/colors tweaking in some other apps already bring us a lot closer. But the success of the Alexa is mainly because you get something great out of the box. The colors are not super realistic, closer to what film looked, with cyan skies, pink skins, etc. I would love that on the Red, just one setting in RCX, put a lowcon filter on the lens and that's it.

March 15, 2015 at 4:26AM

Jim Jeune

So you think it's possibile for a Red Epic to look like Alexa keeping the contrast lower with a tobacco filter or in the color correction? I heard that the colorist can chose to convert the Red files into RedLogFilm gamma

March 15, 2015 at 2:08PM

Maybe try being cinematic and don't put it on your shoulder. You know - compose a shot. Just sayin'.

March 21, 2015 at 1:15AM

I think Andrew Reid from EOSHD.com was the first to take this video and make it into a filmmaking related spoof video?

March 15, 2015 at 9:32AM

David Peterson
Wedding Cinematographer

It's a sad day for NFS when I can get better content from my Facebook News Feed. Bitching about the fan, seriously? Are they still using 2012 firmware?

RED Scarlet owner with over 1,000 hours of runtime. Never had a single issue. Regularly shoot footage on our octocopter that intercuts perfectly with Alexa.

March 15, 2015 at 12:45PM

I'm a red one mx user with other 1,000 hours of runtime and I've had tons of issues. And I have also had issues with every other camera I have ever worked with - Arri Alexa, F35, F3, FS7, F55, NX1, Panasonic HVX200, varicam, film - every single camera has issues. And yes actually the fan noise on the red epic is the worse on any camera I've ever used.

March 16, 2015 at 4:42PM

Ed David
Director of Photography

No my friend, it's a sad day when a bunch of people get their panties in a wad over a parody video.

March 17, 2015 at 3:51PM

Crap! I shoot Black Magic and RED and Arri users Make fun of it all the time, aah mean so what.. some ppl just have their heads too far up their ass....its just a joke yawl chill out for real! Get a freakin sense of humor!

March 15, 2015 at 2:55PM

Wentworth Kelly
DP/Colorist/Drone Op

Forget the camera debate! Can some who understands Spanish PLEASE just tell me what those guys were actually talking about?!

March 15, 2015 at 4:13PM

This is from a spanish tv show called "Ratones Coloraos" (Red Mice). http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratones_coloraos
The talking guy is a big celebrity here in Spain, known under the nickname "El Risitas" (The Laughing Man). http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Risitas

basically he is talking about his crazy life experiences in the beach where he worked.

March 15, 2015 at 9:11PM

Tosin Akintuyosi
Independent Film Maker

Hahaha "throughout his life has been dedicated to do several things, working as a cook, carrying sacks of cement, etc." - El Risitas according to Wikipedia. Thanks for the links man

March 15, 2015 at 9:32PM

Who needs 4K? Huehuehuehue.
HD is good enough. Huehuehuehue.

March 15, 2015 at 7:02PM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

haha. thanks for this.

March 15, 2015 at 10:45PM

dude, thats funny

March 16, 2015 at 1:36AM

Peter Staubs
Camera Assistant

'Funny', but, more professionals in Hollywood use Red than use Arri. Don't blow an artery over it. But, slightly more productions use Red than Arri. Arri had to respond to that sucking noise that was customers leaving them to go to Red with a 6K 65mm to get the attention back. Red is, if rumors are true, working on an 8K.

Thought this Red v Arri argument was history. Nope. Thought those folks had come to terms with it all and moved on. Nope.

Ok, so now the Arri side of the argument can start scouring the internet to find out JUST HOW MANY productions are using Arri and JUST HOW MANY are using Red, getting it down to an exacting count, because IT CAN'T BE that Red is used more than Arri. But hey, there might be more important things to do.... really, there are.

March 16, 2015 at 1:36AM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

There are more RED owner / operators out there than Arri. The Alexa is more expensive.

But pretty much all TV production, most commercials and most highend features are shot with the Alexa as the A-camera. We mostly see the Epic used as a B camera, when compactness is a factor, but that will change with the Alexa Mini. Aside from the fan and color isses, the lack of direct to edit (Prores444) straight out of camera has locked RED out of many markets. I don't feel that RED calling their updated Epic 'Weapon' is going to help their bad boy image, which already is pretty poor with many people across this industry.

Fincher shoots RED, but he's one guy and has a very specific workflow that his team has put together over the course of many years.

March 16, 2015 at 3:19PM, Edited March 16, 3:19PM

I own a RED and love it, but I still thought this video was hilarious.

March 16, 2015 at 2:50AM

asa martinez
Camera Movement Tech, Camera Operator

Me too! I own a loud Scarlet mx. Love the thing. But thought this was gold. Had tears watching. Particularly the bit about the record/on button. Classic

March 16, 2015 at 8:34AM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

Just echoing David Peterson...this was already done as a spoof on Canon DSLRS, and a lot funnier in my opinion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJBq0z2Vmu4

March 16, 2015 at 9:47AM, Edited March 16, 9:47AM

Micah Dudash
Director at Pilgrim Film co.

The man does not speak on camera, talking about food and the sea. You are an excellent web page, no need to lie. Greetings.

March 16, 2015 at 5:21PM

OMG, I never thought I would see "Risitas" in No Film School Site. Can die in peace now.

March 16, 2015 at 8:50PM

Sergi

Today I learned people get incredibly butthurt over a parody video about a camera.

March 17, 2015 at 3:53PM

Surreal. And I hope it's also real. Best watched under the influence of a quickly-quaffed glass of wine.

March 19, 2015 at 8:45PM, Edited March 19, 8:45PM

Just for the record. The strange talkshow was a very good interview show called 'Los ratones coloraos' (the red mouses, in reference to the famous cartoon mouses Pixie and Dixie, used as a synonymous of 'smart' in Spain -you can hear people say 'sabes más que los ratones coloraos' 'you are smarter than the red mouses), conducted by Jesus Quintero, a famous journalist and interviewer of Spain. The man that laughs is called El risitas (little laughs) and was a usual guest in the program. He always talked about funny stories of his life that were accompanied by his contagious laugh.

March 19, 2015 at 8:59PM

He never spoke about cameras, of course :). In fact, he is speaking about a history when he was cooker in a Restaurant at the beach in Chipiona (Cadiz, south of Spain) and he lost one enormous paella, because he wasn't aware of the tide that took it into the sea.

March 19, 2015 at 9:06PM

I don't know the first thing about RED cameras (other than what I've read on the interweb), but I know a brutal takedown when I see one. I admire its merciless efficiency and its well written script.

March 20, 2015 at 12:02AM

Clay Smith
Wannabe screenwriter, film editor, director

Why was the video removed? I needed a laugh :c