April 12, 2015
NAB 2015

Avid Just Announced a Free Version of Media Composer, Hollywood's NLE of Choice

Avid Media Composer | First
Despite several powerful competitors, Avid Media Composer is still a dominant force in high-end editing. Pretty soon, you'll be able to get your hands on it for free, kind of.

Avid today announced a brand new software called Media Composer | First and it's said to be a free and trimmed down version of the incredibly powerful full version Media Composer. The idea is to make Media Composer | First simple to learn and simple to use so that aspiring editors can get a feel for Avid's editorial process (keyboard-driven three point editing and trimming and such) without the overwhelming interface and array of options in the full software. Then, when they're ready for bigger, more complex projects, Media Composer | First users will have no problem moving up to the full version.

It would have been great if Avid had released more information on the new NLE, but unfortunately all we have thus far is a vague FAQ section that only sheds a little light on the specifics of what will and will not be included in Media Composer | First. What most of us are wondering is just how limited Media Composer | First will be compared to the full version. Here's the answer from the FAQ:

Avid Media Composer | First

At this time we aren’t releasing detailed information on the feature set, as Media Composer | First is still in development, and won’t be available until later in 2015. However you can expect a limited feature set that makes Media Composer | First less intimidating to new users, but also less appealing to power users. You can expect fewer settings, menus, timeline tracks, monitor features, bin features, titling features, effects and other features than the full Media Composer. You can also expect that Media Composer | First won’t work with Avid Interplay Production, Interplay MAM, or MediaCentral UX, and that shared projects won’t be supported on ISIS storage systems. In addition, all projects will be stored in the cloud, and you’ll get a limited number of projects and a limited amount of cloud storage space. There will be options to expand Media Composer | First, from additional project and storage capacity to plug-ins, options, and additional applications to stock footage and music to upgrades to the full Media Composer.

We will keep you updated as we learn more specifics about the limitations of Media Composer | First, as well as when it's expected to be released.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2015 is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock.

No Film School's coverage of NAB is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock

I use Adobe Premiere for most of my web work, and I've worked it into two network shows now. Having said that, everyone should first learn to edit in the Avid. It WILL make you a better editor. Starting off in Final Cut or Premiere lets you off easy and you don't learn how to think about your edits, your timing, or your workflow the right way.

April 12, 2015 at 12:58PM

Joshua Bowen
Editor

So, you get the first "hit' for free. Continue the addiction at your own expense and peril. No thanks. Adobe CC is doing me just fine.

April 12, 2015 at 1:05PM

WILLIAM X LEE
President CEO Cinema Lexzikon productions LLC

Isn't Adobe CC another type of 'hit', just one you pay for?

April 12, 2015 at 3:58PM

Kayode

This is absolutely perfect for me. I have been Senior Editor at a post house for four years now but we've always been FCP7/Premiere CC based. I've reached the stage in my career looking to go freelance at the higher end and one of the tools missing from my skill set is AVID. Earlier today I was faced with the prospect of shelling out for a training course (having used up my free trial) or looking into paying their sub program. Now I've got a good chance of getting my head around Avid with a little help on the extras from reading/online learning. Can't wait to feel confident to get out there again.

April 12, 2015 at 1:24PM

James Burt
Editor

First impressions of MC First: "Simple and Limited"

If they want this to work they need to match Resolve's abilities.

April 12, 2015 at 2:44PM

David Sharp
Video Editor, Cinematographer, Teacher

resolve does way too much.. I think it would be hard to match that in a nle... That would be sick though!

April 12, 2015 at 3:14PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

I was with AVID xpress dv 13 years ago and swore by it. I loved digi design back then except for there updates for certain software. There late updates for mac back then was so bad it turned me into a final cut machine. I could never update my operating system bc avid were control freaks w their updates. How am I suppose to go back now when u let me down with simple firmware updates. Is media composer more advanced than fcpx? Thoughts?

April 12, 2015 at 3:11PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

The Main advantage with MC vs FCPX is going to come down to hardware configuration, to get the most out of their software you need to invest in Nitris DX IO interface, and Storage Suite for Data. Which you don't really need unless you are handling massive amounts of Data, and are still working with film. They are probable still the best in that regard, to online offline edits, tracking revisions, and proxy versions. But beyond that the advantage stops there. They are a very inflexible system, and rightly so, they cater to the top 1% of editors on hollywood feature films. Mostly the older generation of editors, which is why they are having problems getting the next generations, as they are so out of touch with what the little guys need and or want.

"Just looking at this release it's easy to see why other pointed out they are control freaks"

As far as advantages go: Everything else comes down to workflow preferences: how you want to work, vs how the software forces you to work.

April 14, 2015 at 1:22PM

David Sharp
Video Editor, Cinematographer, Teacher

With Black Magic making Resolve lite 11 free, the new features being heralded by Adobe for Premiere Pro CC and now AVID Composer releasing their free version: the NLE war is hotting up. I wonder where this leaves HitFilms.

April 12, 2015 at 4:03PM

Kayode

So you cant edit unless you have an internet connection? Back in the day I would configure editing working stations with minimal overhead which meant no tcp/ip. If you are gonna be tied to the "cloud" then you might was well have the full suite and go with Adobe. A watered down edit system tied to the cloud is not even worth free in 2015.

April 12, 2015 at 5:29PM

treykaiza@gmail.com
Cat Herder

Wow, it's fucking nothing

April 12, 2015 at 11:44PM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

From Bryant Frazer

"For one thing, users of the free version will be allowed to save only a limited number of projects, and those projects must be saved to the cloud rather than local hard drives."

Simply put not even gonna give this a chance, unless I need relearn the workflow before joining an AVID Project. This thing is way too limited. Black Magic is doing it right.

April 14, 2015 at 1:10PM

David Sharp
Video Editor, Cinematographer, Teacher

Yeah no thanks.

April 25, 2017 at 8:10AM

Geoff C. Bassett
Director of Photography

I'm on the fence about this, but in the end it'll help a lot of juniors and 'self-taught' editors to get that leg up to get into the industry as a lot of post houses are still avid based rather than Premiere or FCP.

Still an old mans editor I'm afraid though no matter how free it is,

April 17, 2015 at 6:21AM