April 12, 2015
NAB 2015

Blackmagic Is About to Announce a 4.6K URSA Mini with 15 Stops of Dynamic Range

Blackmagic URSA Mini NAB 2015
It wouldn't be the Sunday night before NAB if there weren't leaked pictures of insane new Blackmagic cinema cameras floating about.

In a few tweets from Matthew Allard, we get a sneak peak of what's going to be officially announced by Blackmagic tomorrow. And as seems to be a recurring trend, it looks like they're going to steal the show again.

While the first picture definitely alludes to an URSA Mini with higher than 4K resolution and 15 stops of dynamic range, which is absolutely awesome, the second is a bit more cryptic. It could very well be a completely re-designed Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, or a brand new addition to their lineup entirely. If I had to guess, I'd say that it looks like it's designed to be mounted to a drone or UAV. There was also chat on Twitter that it could be a replacement sensor module for the original URSA, but the HDMI outputs on the side of it make me think that it's definitely a self-contained camera or a camera head of some sort.

Either way, we're going to find out more tomorrow as NAB officially opens for another exciting year.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2015 is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock.

No Film School's coverage of NAB is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock

Wow. This one looks possible to put on your shoulder. Step in the right direction. Looking forward to details.

April 12, 2015 at 7:55PM

Dean Butler
Writer Director Shooter Editor

Two different cameras. The Ursa Mini is a Super35 sensor. This camera (shown on a drone) is a S16 sensor.

April 12, 2015 at 8:06PM

The camera pictured is called the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

April 12, 2015 at 8:07PM, Edited April 12, 8:07PM

Have they cleaned up the high ISO performance yet?

April 12, 2015 at 8:12PM

I have no idea hun. They've only just hung a banner and put up a poster to show off these 2 new cameras.

April 12, 2015 at 8:17PM

Dan Keeble
Video Editor + Cameraman

LOL!!!! I can't stop laughing. Best response ever!!!

April 12, 2015 at 9:07PM

Jonesy Jones
Storymaker

Having recently purchased a new camera and satisfied my camera acquisition disorder, I was planning to sleep through NAB this year. Damn you, Black Magic.

April 12, 2015 at 8:38PM, Edited April 12, 8:38PM

Tom Abray
writer, videographer

Don't worry - it's Black Magic. In two years time when your new gear starts to feel obsolete, ( due to your C.A.D ), they'll have just started shipping...maybe..only pre-orders..etc. ;o)

April 13, 2015 at 11:53AM

its a good thing ma company waited!!! aahh mayne i am estatic!!!

April 12, 2015 at 8:58PM

Wentworth Kelly
DP/Colorist/Drone Op

No Film School really needs a 'translate' feature...

April 12, 2015 at 9:33PM

Connor Day
Director of Photography

He said he like sandwich

April 13, 2015 at 1:13AM, Edited April 13, 1:13AM

Edgar More
All

I like trains!

April 13, 2015 at 2:19AM

F**K yeah

April 12, 2015 at 9:19PM

Edgar More
All

I love that it has a viewfinder and where it should be. Not centre like the C line cameras.

April 12, 2015 at 9:35PM

I wonder what they'll sell the Ursa Mini for? 8K?

April 12, 2015 at 10:03PM, Edited April 12, 10:03PM

Depends on the feature set it has .... Just have to wait and see. If it has higher frame rates , able to shoot 2k and 4k and 4.6k and I'm thinking if you are able to get 200 Fps out of it .... Yup I'd say $8000 - $10,000

April 12, 2015 at 10:53PM

Nigel Thompson
Director / Editor / Producer

15 stops....mmmmm interesting.

April 12, 2015 at 10:44PM, Edited April 12, 10:44PM

If this comes in under $8k, man, the c300mII is gonna be one overpriced wedding camera.

April 12, 2015 at 11:31PM

Vincent Gortho
none

Woah! The price for the URSA Mini is reported to be $2995. Much lower than I thought it would be.

April 12, 2015 at 11:36PM

Doug Dabbs
Professor of Sequential Art

That Is INSANE!!

April 13, 2015 at 1:02AM

Kevin Greene
Editor

It's like a group of accountants escaped Canon and are hell bent on bringing thier former employers to justice lol... If it is indeed that cheap that would be b-a-n-a-n-a-s!

April 13, 2015 at 9:12AM

April 12, 2015 at 11:40PM

Doug Dabbs
Professor of Sequential Art

That is exactly where I thought it would be. Blackmagic is always looking to give most bang for buck.. and I think they couldn't really place the "mini" above the full sized URSA. The URSA should get the same chip anyway with user upgrade. Now I'm looking at this as to a C100 alternative. Largely depends on 1. low light and 2. frame rate options. I don't think raw matters at this price point. Hopefully we can shoot on Prores onto SD cards.... cfast cards will cost as much as the camera!

April 13, 2015 at 2:15AM

Lane McCall
Producer/Director

4K prores 422 HQ 24p is 750 Mbps, too high for SD and very expensive indeed on CFast (22 minutes on a 128GB card). CFast prices should fall really fast now that they're becoming more common, though (it's just CF with a SATA port instead of IDE).

April 13, 2015 at 8:56AM

I'd take 15 stops and some nice frame rate options at 1080p in prores HQ on this camera... then rent CFast cards when the client had the budget for 4k. But, yes... let's see those prices fall!

April 13, 2015 at 9:04AM, Edited April 13, 9:04AM

Lane McCall
Producer/Director

I waited and waited for Canon to introduce the C100 mark 2 thinking they would actually listen to customers. Well, needless to say, I was disappointed. Blackmagic is going to be the death of Canon because Blackmagic listens and isn't afraid to compete with themselves. It was Steve Jobs that said, "If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will." Canon, you're being cannibalized.

April 13, 2015 at 12:26AM

Funny thing is that if they charge the same as the full URSA, it's still a very acceptable price.

April 13, 2015 at 2:24AM, Edited April 13, 2:24AM

I'd rather pay 8000 dollars for this and have all the high framerates and 4K than 3000 dollars and having to buy the GIANT URSA to get that.

April 13, 2015 at 4:16AM, Edited April 13, 4:16AM

Viktor Ragnemar
Director/Cinematographer

Dont tell them that!

April 13, 2015 at 4:59AM

Neill Jones
Camera, Edit, Colour

Finally a camera that's not an arri or Sony that comes with a proper viewfinder! I'm so tired of operating off of monitors and having to get my fingers in between the op and the screen if I'm assisting. I never understood the idea behind putting our greasy fingers all over the tool we are also using to operate off of.

April 13, 2015 at 4:56AM

Jerome Stolly
1st. Assistant Camera

I'd be very surprised if that viewfinder comes with it at that price, if it is that price...but does that mean Blackmagic are manufacturing viewfinders now as well?

April 13, 2015 at 5:30AM

Neill Jones
Camera, Edit, Colour

True it might be optional but given black magic's previous pricing structure I doubt it'd raise the price by more than a thousand dollars. You can see the BM logo on it in the Twitter pics so I know it's not a 3rd party add on. I don't think this puts black magic in the evf business anymore than Arri or Sony or AJA (or any other camera that comes with a viewfinder like all cameras should). If BM can make a 10 inch 1080p flip out screen why not an evf? The real question is what resolution and tech will be in that viewfinder.

April 13, 2015 at 5:39AM

Jerome Stolly
1st. Assistant Camera

Viewfinder is optional: "It has a design very similar to the FS7 and yes it has a optional viewfinder too"

April 13, 2015 at 5:42AM

Álex Montoya
Writer/Director

Looks nice . personally I was hoping that BM design would get rid of this gigantic side monitor or come out with something like a detachable viewfinder with some Bluetooth connection....at least give us the freedom to put the monitor anywhere we want.
But I really appreciate what they are doing for the Indy filmmakers though.

April 13, 2015 at 9:00AM

Menelikk
Computer Scientist/Film Director

If it has high frame rate and ND filters built in then this might turn my head away from the Sony FS7 which has been my dream camera since it launched.

April 13, 2015 at 9:10AM

Tom Kelly
Director / Cameraman

April 13, 2015 at 11:40AM

This camera is a BUY for me.. Damn it seems nice!

Now I have to cancel my FS7 order.

April 13, 2015 at 11:57AM, Edited April 13, 11:57AM

Viktor Ragnemar
Director/Cinematographer

True 4K out of the box. Sony must low their prices...

April 13, 2015 at 12:06PM, Edited April 13, 12:06PM

I wonder if the sensor is good in low light. That would be a first for blackmagic and would make it comparable to the FS7 at a lower price. I look forward to seeing some tests.

April 13, 2015 at 12:05PM, Edited April 13, 12:05PM

Sorry, I meant to post this comment about the Blackmagic Ursa Mini with the 4.6K sensor. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursamini

April 13, 2015 at 12:07PM

3k for $3k? Nope... much better. This is what I've been waiting for. BMD's color science is lovely. Not so concerned about low light. I want to make cinema. We've always needed lights for that.

April 13, 2015 at 12:53PM

Dume Forwan
Film Maker

Right on the money.

April 13, 2015 at 1:36PM

Apparently Black Magic are going to notify the release of a further 18 cameras between now and the end of NAB!! I'm saaaaaaaa excited to see how many more cameras will be released at NAB this year, I hope there are at least 60 new cameras on the market by the end of 2015. Can't wait to shoot with them all.

April 13, 2015 at 4:29PM

Lloyd Will
Film maker

FINALLY....

First 4K Mini footage release...

September 14, 2015 at 5:42PM, Edited September 14, 6:16PM