April 14, 2015
NAB 2015

SmallHD Shows Off the Sidefinder, a Versatile 2-in-1 Monitor/EVF

SmallHD is stealing the hearts of many with this unit. Check it out in person on the floor at NAB!

• 5" 1920x1080 Full HD
  • Aluminum housing
  • SD Card Slot for updates / importing LUTs
  • 2x LP-E6 battery slots, ~2 hours per battery (only draws 5½ watts)
  • SDI / HDMI in/out/cross covert
  • No touchscreen, 2 button interface
  • Remote Control
  • Universal LUT support
  • 17-point 3D LUT viewing
  • 7-8 new monitor products in the series coming this year
  • Multiple mounting options
  • 502 monitor shipping now for $1,199
  • $1,499 for Sidefinder package (hopefully available Summer)
SmallHD 502 Monitor at NAB 2015

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2015 is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock.

No Film School's coverage of NAB is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock

I was going to buy this as a high res field monitor then Blackmagic Video Assist came out! I just wish BM would add a waveform scope in the next firmware update!

April 14, 2015 at 12:45PM

Rayhanur kabir
Director, DP

Was just about to say how interesting it would be to compare this to the Blackmagic Video Assist. The Video assist also gives you ProRes and DNxHD recording and its half the price. If the video image matches up to this, then it's a no brainer.

April 14, 2015 at 12:46PM

Adam Badlotto
Director and Visual FX Artist

Except the lut support and lots of scopes! I can live without bunch of .cube lut but the scopes are really great! Please BM give us the waveform support, we are sold!

April 14, 2015 at 1:07PM, Edited April 14, 1:07PM

Rayhanur kabir
Director, DP

¿Is the BM OLED? A big plus is the VF option.

April 14, 2015 at 1:17PM, Edited April 14, 1:17PM

Álex Montoya
Writer/Director

Blackmagic Video Assist looks like the perfect sized. I'm going to sell my Atomos Samurai Blade ASAP.

April 14, 2015 at 4:11PM

Jason Blevins
Director / Producer / Videographer

Agreed, the Video Assist just destroyed all the competition as far as I'm concerned. $500 for a 5" 1080p monitor/recorder..unreal. Even Atomos pales in comparison to that. Waveform etc. would be nice but most cameras have built in features you could use in tandem and I'd rather save a few hundred dollars for slightly lesser features than pay a premium for them.

April 14, 2015 at 1:20PM

Jeremy Abbott
Video Producer/Independent Filmmaker

No argument there!! And it's 700 bucks cheaper!

April 14, 2015 at 1:44PM

Rayhanur kabir
Director, DP

I almost never use my Atomos Samurai Blade anymore with my Fs700 because it's just a bit too clunky. Hands down, Blackmagic Video Assist looks ideal. Think they nailed it.

April 14, 2015 at 4:13PM

Jason Blevins
Director / Producer / Videographer

If only it could record 4k from the Fs700... instead of that obnoxiously sized Odyssey7.

April 14, 2015 at 4:18PM

Jason Blevins
Director / Producer / Videographer

I just used a Sam. Blade on my C100 for the first time. Really loved the screen but completely agree, even at its light weight and smaller size...it was pretty big. Full day shoots so dual batteries on the back plus SDI-HDMI converter..it was just a beast. Not to mention the SSD drive.

Load up the Video Assist with tiny LP-E6 batts and a 128GB SD card? Yes, Blackmagic. Yes I will.

April 17, 2015 at 2:48AM

Jeremy Abbott
Video Producer/Independent Filmmaker

I think this makes for a nice monitor, but as an EVF, I'm not too impressed. I think Zacuto nailed it with the Gratical — though eventually maybe they'll make it more compact.

April 14, 2015 at 4:47PM