Rejoice! Roger Deakins Will Shoot the 'Blade Runner' Sequel

Blade Runner
We're by no means an industry news site, but sometimes a piece of industry news comes along that is so exciting that I can't help be filled with pure unbridled joy. One such piece of news arrived today.

According to The Verge, the long-awaited sequel to Ridley Scott's 1982 sci-fi opus, Blade Runner, which is widely considered to be one of the finest films ever made, will be shot by none other than Roger Deakins. In case you missed it the first time around, here's a brief taste of what Deakins has accomplished in his tremendous career behind the camera:

What's perhaps most exciting about this announcement is that Deakins, who is an undisputed master of light and composition, will have a chance to build upon the style one of the most beautifully-shot films in cinema history. Jordan Cronenweth, the storied cinematography who shot the original, built an immense and immersive visual style for Blade Runner consisting of deep shadows and vibrant colors and shafts of light so strong that you can't help but get pulled into them. Here's a recent trailer for one of the many cuts of Blade Runner, and it's a trailer that really gives you a great sense of the visual mastery that Deakins will undoubtedly build upon.

All in all, it will be fascinating to see how Deakins takes the visual style and tonality of the Blade Runner universe and adapts it to both his own and director Denis Villeneuve's aesthetic sensibilities (this is the same guy who collaborated with Deakins on Prisoners, so it's likely to be fantastic).

You Might Also Like

Deakins is the man.. And way overdue for an Oscar!
Chivo is also the man and could kick serious ass on this movie..
However, for sentimental reasons, Jeff Cronenweth would be a great choice too.. His dad shot the original movie, and he's a fantastic D.P.

All being said.. Deakins is probably the best choice for this genre (Hmm, what camera to choose from?.. Knowing Mr D, Alexa 65??)

May 20, 2015 at 5:08PM, Edited May 20, 5:11PM

Scott Bryant
Creative Director

I've been hoping that Jeff Cronenweth would work on this movie since it was first announced (I wonder when Ridley Scott stepped down, too.) He has been an advocate for his father Jordan Cronenweth's work and very interesting life story, and he is also a first class cinematographer himself, learning from working under not only his father, but Conrad Hall and Sven Nykvist. If there's one person who can nail the look but add to it in a meaningful way, it's him. It'd show that he does more than just the Fincher style.

I like Roger Deakins, maybe not as much as the rest of the internet; he's going to make a very sharp, facile, deceptively simple looking film. But it'll have it's own look, and when you're talking about Blade Runner, it's a bit of a bummer for me.

Though, Cronenweth is extremely picky with features, he could have turned it down.

May 21, 2015 at 9:02AM

All the respect to him, but I can't stand Jeff Cronenweth's cinematography. I think it would be too naturalistic for this flick. He has a much different style than Deakins and his father.

May 21, 2015 at 3:01PM, Edited May 21, 3:01PM

Nicholas

That's what I meant by him showing he's capable of shooting more than in Fincher's style. The dark practical lighting thing is all Fincher. If you look at his commercial and music video work it's clear that Cronenweth's style holds up through all sorts of moods.

The Batman: Arkham Knight commercial he shot and co-directed with his brother Tim is very reminiscent of his father's work, with some of his own stuff thrown in. I'd love for him to have the chance to take it even further.

May 21, 2015 at 11:45PM, Edited May 21, 11:49PM

I have a lawyer friend who starts all insults like this. "With all due respect, I find you a complete idiot."

May 23, 2015 at 9:54AM

Alexa with Master Primes....

May 22, 2015 at 9:52AM

jack khorram
Cinematographer

Well I was excited about Villeneuve taking on the project, and now with Deakins coming back to collaborate with him...oh man it'll be awesome. Roger's sense of color will line up very well with the Blade Runner world.

May 20, 2015 at 5:15PM

I hope they shoot 35mm.

May 20, 2015 at 6:39PM

Zachariel Shanahan
Writer/Director

I think Deakins likes shooting with the Alexa now. Great image and more flexibility.

May 20, 2015 at 6:55PM

Double posted for some reason.

May 20, 2015 at 6:55PM, Edited May 20, 6:56PM

or IMAX! Either way, it will be gorgeous.

May 31, 2015 at 11:21PM

Zachariel Shanahan
Writer/Director

I wonder if he'll finally shoot anamorphic. That was such a big part of the Blade Runner aesthetic. Exciting stuff!

May 20, 2015 at 8:19PM

----

Mixed feelings about this; the sequel has big boots to fill, especially now that Ridley Scott is not at the helm, and there's no Rutger Hauer. Plus, the unanswered questions in the original -- "How long will Rachael survive?", "Is Deckard a replicant?" -- are part of the film's charm. I hope adding more doesn't somehow retroactively spoil it!

May 20, 2015 at 11:39PM

Adrian Tan
Videographer

I realize you are not posing the question and it has lingered for years but, it shouldn't. As to whether Deckard is a replicant or not... Seeing the director's cut (or the Final Cut) leaves no doubt... of course, he is.

May 21, 2015 at 9:04PM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com
1932

Yes, it's true. But then if he's a replicant, I never truly understood how come he got his ass kicked each time he fights one? If you have a cyborg that's supposed to eliminate the bad ones, isn't he supposed to be at least as strong?

July 30, 2016 at 4:09AM

johnny
filmmaker

That's fucking awesome

May 21, 2015 at 3:17AM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

Meh, not interested in Deakins anymore now that Lubezki is truly innovating these days.

May 21, 2015 at 4:34AM, Edited May 21, 4:34AM

Henry Barnill
Director of Photography

What a silly comment.

May 21, 2015 at 8:16AM

William Stewart
Director of Photography

What a silly comment.

May 21, 2015 at 8:16AM, Edited May 21, 8:16AM

William Stewart
Director of Photography

Lubezki is innovating? He's won awards and recognition for gag-shots and not even the best kind. He's done excellent work on The Tree of Life, but jumped the shark w/ the overrated Birdman (which was done many times already, especially by smaller DPs on the web) and VFX CG animated film, Gravity.

Lubezki's great, but he isn't innovating at all. Don't exaggerate.

May 22, 2015 at 6:30AM

ufufuf...Blade Runner is one of the best filmovies ever. It has to be, I downloaded it legally in Blu ray fifteen times now and I still want to see it again..mf..sequel..hhhm.. instead of writing that it's probably going to suck, in comparison, no matter who is making it, I'll make a wish. I wish that it, at least, sounds like original, Oh sorry, like the first movie:O Ok, that's not going to happen. I'll be a little bit more realistic. I would like if visuals are literally the same or completely different.

May 21, 2015 at 6:20AM

Wow. https://youtu.be/m4SddMI3NdI?t=12s I leave it to you to decide which one is the Xerox girl and which one is the jam ;-)

(it's a clip from Friends if you're worried about clicking..)

May 21, 2015 at 6:42AM, Edited May 21, 6:42AM

PJ Palomaki
Cinematographer | Motion Graphics

No matter what kind of talent goes into this, it's going to suck. Not because of the talent, of course.

May 21, 2015 at 11:33AM

Vidrazor

Even though cinematography and direction are going to be incredibly difficult to match (and what everyone is concerned about), I'm just as concerned about the screenplay. The original (director's cut) story is a very complicated one that makes writing any kind of acceptable sequel (or even a prequel or parallel story) challenging at the very least.

May 27, 2015 at 9:07AM