June 15, 2015

This Stunning 8K/4K Timelapse Footage of a Volcano Erupting Will Take Your Breath Away

That headline was definitely a bit hyperbolic, and I apologize, but holy smokes, you guys have to check this out.

On April 22, 2015, Volcano Calbuco erupted in southern Chile, encasing the country in a thick cloud of volcanic ash. On a ferry heading southward at the time was Martin Feck, a German filmmaker and founder of Timestorm Films. In the description for the video, Feck sets the scene for how he and his team were in the right place at the right time, and how they captured some of the most stunning images of volcanic clouds in recent memory:

After 10min on the ferry we noticed a massive, almost nuclear looking cloud boiling upwards just where we left a few hours ago. Frenetically looking for a good outlook we then rushed to the only non-forested place to get a decent view of the show. We quickly put every bit of camera-equipment we could find on the constantly growing mushroom-cloud. We shot timelapses in 8K and 4K with a Pentax 645Z and Canon 6D. On the A7s we shot 4K video to the Shogun. We filled almost all of our memory cards in the prior night so I had to do backups while shooting all this stuff.

This was for sure the most incredible show I've ever seen. I think this is a one in a lifetime event and I am so happy that we were able to capture it in all its glory.

If you're interested in checking out some of Martin's other timelapse work (all of which is awesome), check out the Timestorm Films website and Vimeo page.

*gasp*

June 15, 2015 at 9:00PM

Wow! Had to watch that twice great work from Martin and his team.

June 15, 2015 at 9:10PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

AWESOME!!

June 15, 2015 at 9:11PM, Edited June 15, 9:11PM

Please can we not fall into the clickbate headline stuff! Please? I love NoFilmSchool for its interesting, professional and quality posts. I can't share articles of this nature with anything resembling dignity if we sensationalise the living hell out of everything.

June 15, 2015 at 11:04PM

Jared Adamo
Creative Director / Producer

But... it's a giant volcanic death cloud. It will, in the most literal sense imaginable, take your breath away. A little wordplay never hurt anybody. Also, regardless of the headline, that footage is stunning and absolutely worth sharing. If you honestly feel that were tricked into clicking this link and watching content that wasn't worth it, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

June 15, 2015 at 11:39PM, Edited June 16, 10:39AM

Rob Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker Freedom

I've got to agree with Jared. Wordplay aside, that headline reads like the front page of buzzfeed. We're adults, treat us that way. Theres no need for reusing the same tired adjectives that every other click bait website uses. I mean, its you're article do what you want, and I'm going to keep coming back to NFS regardless of the cheesy headlines. My point is, you don't have to use them, we are already here.

June 16, 2015 at 12:33PM

Clickbait is still a sin. Shame on all of you.

June 16, 2015 at 3:14PM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

The only time in my life when I've had my breath taken away in the most literal sense imaginable, is when I got punched in stomach, in that soft spot right below the sternum. I believe Gorilla Monsoon referred to it as the "bread basket." Nice video, but thankfully this did not feel like that.

June 17, 2015 at 3:08AM

Derek Olson
Directomatographeditor

doesn't clickbait make you blind?

June 17, 2015 at 8:22PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

Clickbait stinks, we all agree. But is it really getting all up in arms about here? I highly doubt Mr. Hardy (or anybody at NFS for that matter) tried to 'trick' us into clicking this, and I doubt it was even described in that way on purpose. I mean, hell, they talk about the gear and the processes they used. It's not like this wasn't informative or up our collective filmmaker-alleys (there's a joke in there, somewhere...).

End rant.

June 27, 2015 at 2:35PM

Kyle Delso
Director / Writer / Audio

It took my breath away

June 16, 2015 at 10:21AM

Vladimir Miketa
Cinematographer & Editor

"and you'll never guess what happens next"

clickbait headline aside - the music is the thing in this vid, I would have had them cut to the wide earlier but that's just me.

June 19, 2015 at 2:25AM

Vicky Mohieddeen
Producer, Editor

nice video! Does vimeo do 4k yet? Or is "HD" on is just 1080p?

June 15, 2015 at 11:39PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

Looks pretty rad!

June 16, 2015 at 12:39AM, Edited June 16, 12:39AM

Donovan Vim Crony
Director, DP, Editor, VFX, Sci-Fi Lover

Surreal!

June 16, 2015 at 5:37AM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

Meh

June 16, 2015 at 6:56AM, Edited June 16, 6:56AM

Absolutely stunning. I think the video could be cut way down though. The repetition really took away from the impact for me. Amazing footage nonetheless.

June 16, 2015 at 10:55AM, Edited June 16, 10:55AM

Micah Dudash
Director

I live in Puerto Varas, a locality near the Calbuco volcano, and I got to witness the eruption. It's a quite funny story, I was watching TV, and I got a text message that said "Man, look at the volcano" and so I did. I didn't believe my eyes and I rushed quickly to find my camera. I couldn't find the quick release of my tripod so I had to use a quick release from another tripod that didn't quite fit in said tripod, so my camera could have fell easily (it did, actually, but when I stopped the timelapse and I caught it midair). We were all marveled by this phenomenon, until we saw the consequences. Oh, the destructive nature of nature itself.
PS: My timelapse is much more amateurish than this, and was shot at a less privileged angle (my backyard).

June 16, 2015 at 9:42PM, Edited June 16, 9:46PM

Domingo Alvarez
Aspiring Director/DP

Proof of my story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-HNavKTjlk&feature=youtu.be (It's the "raw" footage, as I just made a quick composition and uploaded it and I didn't made anything fancy with it)

June 16, 2015 at 10:49PM, Edited June 16, 10:49PM

Domingo Alvarez
Aspiring Director/DP

kinda average. can stumble across better on the internet. the resolution is what looks good, not the work. just put the camera on a tripod. click start. wait. click stop. done. (basically)

what is standing out in this video, what is stunning about it, is how good the a7S looks with the Shogun. very close to a Red, literally. i was unimpressed with the a7S, until i saw Luke Neumann's footage he did with an a7S w/ Shogun. now i look for a7S footage w/Shogun. everything i see of it is fantastic.

-----------

here's some excellence in time lapse work:

June 17, 2015 at 8:30PM, Edited June 17, 8:52PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

Awesome post, great video. I've worked in publishing for years, I have absolutely no problem with the headline or this content. I think it's an innovative time lapse of something not often seen in such detail, and keeps in line with the content you regularly produce. Keep doing you, NFS.

June 17, 2015 at 8:30PM, Edited June 17, 8:30PM

Ben Meredith
Cinematographer/Filmmaker

isn't it more the camera and recorder, and not really innovative work? didn't they just set the camera up and click 'start'?

June 17, 2015 at 8:54PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming

I suppose up for interpretation. I think capturing something of this magnitude in of itself is innovative, if anything based on the fact I have personally never seen a time lapse like this. Just my personal view, though.

June 19, 2015 at 3:27PM

Ben Meredith
Cinematographer/Filmmaker

This Stunning Autoerotic Asphyxiation Tutorial Will Take Your Breath Away (NSFW)

June 17, 2015 at 10:00PM, Edited June 17, 10:00PM

Gorgeous footage! Anyone else notice that the music is a rip off of Han Zimmer's "Mountains" from Interstellar?

June 21, 2015 at 10:53PM, Edited June 21, 10:57PM