June 19, 2015

Meet Adobe Hue CC: Capture Inspiring Looks with Your Phone, Use Them In Your Edits

Adobe Hue CC iPhone
Remember "Project Candy," Adobe's phone app that captures inspiring light and color, and turns that data into a look which can be applied to your video projects? Well, it's finally here, and it's got a brand new name.

Adobe Hue CC iPhone
Earlier this week, Adobe released their newest product, (and also one of their coolest). It's called Adobe Hue CC, and like I mentioned, it's essentially a jazzed-up photo app for the iPhone (sorry Android users). Hue CC analyzes the light and color data of your photographs (either that you take with the app or ones that are stored in the camera roll or cloud). Then it allows you to manipulate the color and luma properties with a unique tactile interface (seen at right), and then it saves all of that information as a look that can be applied to your Premiere Pro and After Effects projects. It's able to accomplish this through utilizing another one of the major new features in the CC 2015 release, called Creative Cloud Libraries, which lets users seamlessly share assets, like looks and color swatches, across applications.

Here's a quick teaser for how Hue can be incorporated into a creative color workflow, followed by a more in-depth presentation about the ways in which Adobe is making powerful color tools more accessible.

Having had the Hue CC app on my phone for the past day, I'm already impressed, not only by the fact that it actually works as advertised, but by the fact that it can create some interesting looks really quickly. What I love even more is just how accessible it is, even for people who have never worked with color in their life. If you can snap a photo, you can create a unique look and apply it to your projects.

For me, particularly as both a cinematographer and editor, this app allows me to capture the beautiful light and color that I encounter in my day-to-day life (I'm always on the look out), and translate it directly into a useful creative tool. It's a way to turn your inspiration into something tangible, and that's a really cool proposition for visual creatives because inspiration can, and often does, strike anywhere at any time.

If you're interested, you can download Adobe Hue CC for free from the app store. No word yet on if and when an Android version is coming.

Just FYI, this app is available for Android under the name, "Adobe Color". Works great!

Edit: Never mind it's not the same thing but is similar. It doesn't create a look only a color scheme that you can reference. Why one earth would Adobe not release this for Android also?

June 20, 2015 at 1:05AM, Edited June 20, 1:34AM

On the Premiere Pro Facebook page, they're saying that they are indeed developing an Android version:

June 20, 2015 at 12:09PM

Joe Gunawan
DP/Camera Op/1st&2ndAC/Commercial Photographer

That's good. Hopefully it's not too far away.

June 20, 2015 at 10:28PM

So what exactly is the difference between Adobe Color and Adobe Hue?

June 20, 2015 at 3:16PM

Benjamin Reichman
Post Supervisor/AE/Editor

They both extract color samples from photos you take. Adobe hue will take this information, let you tweak it if you want, and turn it into a look that can be applied to your footage or photos. If you've upgraded to the new PPro then you will see their list of pre-installed "looks" under the color tab. It will more or less shift the colors to match the color hues extracted from your photo. Adobe Color seems almost identical at first, but when you get the file into PPro, all it lets you do is use the extracted colors as reference. So you can mouse over them and get their number values, but not much else... as far as I can tell. I might be missing something but that is what I have gathered thus far. It seems odd that Adobe Color would even exist. It's like the same thing as Hue but minus the feature of turning the color info into a look. I think that's what baffles me about Hue not being out on Android already... we have an app that's pretty much the same thing minus a feature.. Has it been that big of a challenge taking it the rest of the way in time for the new CC launch?

June 20, 2015 at 10:37PM

Brad, thanks for the clarification! That does seem odd. Well, I guess I'll just delete Color and add Hue to my phone.

June 22, 2015 at 12:36PM

Benjamin Reichman
Post Supervisor/AE/Editor

So, hypothetically...

If I were to store a picture taken with Kodachrome film or a screenshot from a old film with a very bad telecine transfer on my IPhone, I could take it into Adobe Hue, fiddle with its properties, and create a very rough translation of that photo/screenshot's appearance?

June 20, 2015 at 7:10PM, Edited June 20, 7:10PM

It was fun to work on this shoot. In case anybody is wondering, this is the full video that is being edited in the teaser.
Enjoy!

June 21, 2015 at 7:47AM, Edited June 21, 7:59AM

Just used it and after I named the look it sent it straight to the library on Prem. Single best app on the phone I've ever had I think.

June 21, 2015 at 10:47AM

So I am a Colorist and this sounds amazing! (however I am Resolve and RCX colorist) But also being a photographer, they need to push this to Lightroom as well ASAP.

June 22, 2015 at 12:25PM

I've installed Hue CC app from Aptoide I must say it is Adobe's one of the most beautiful creation. Kudos to whole development team for developing such a robust application.

November 12, 2017 at 2:56PM