July 21, 2015

10 TED Talks That All Filmmakers Should Check Out

TED Talks help spread the ideas of the most amazing, creative minds of our generation, including those of our most revered filmmakers and storytellers.

Filmmaker IQ put together a video playlist last year that compiles talks from the likes of J.J. Abrams, James Cameron, and many others that explore topics ranging from storytelling, creativity, and "impossible photography".

Bonus (because I love this one): If you've ever wondered why so many fail at storytelling even though we all seem to have a natural tendency to tell stories, here's Julian Friedmann's TEDx Talk that focuses on the "mystery of storytelling."

If you're in the mood for more, ScreenCraft has shared their own list of filmmaking/storytelling-related TED Talks. (One you should definitely check out if you haven't already is Joe Sabia's "the technology of storytelling."

Which film-related TED Talks are you favorites? Let us know in the comments below!

I loved TED talks before but now i like them even more! Thanks for the post!

July 21, 2015 at 8:07PM

Jeffery Garland
Director Of Photography

Andrew Stanton aslo has an amazing Ted talk

July 22, 2015 at 1:24AM

I can't live without TED. It's a fantastic project!

July 22, 2015 at 8:43AM

Yeah, all what he says works all right for a very unsophisticated audience. Nothing new here. This is the same bullshit that Hollywood script gurus have been saying. I'm actually surprised the guy didn't say Act one, two and three. Please! Most of the stuff pick up by those guys for production is what is going to make an average 20 years old male react. Movies from major studios are predictable, built on recurrent schemes and each time I watch one I feel I've been taken for a very cheap ride. Basically that guy just told you in his own words: American movies are not art, not too much dialogue (targeted at an uneducated audience with limited vocabulary) and should not be too intellectual or sophisticated. Yeah, like we hadn't notice that! What do you think a whore like Tarantino is doing so well here and a guy like Woody Allen is not?

July 22, 2015 at 10:32AM

you ok man? everything alright in your life?

August 4, 2015 at 4:14AM

Thanks again for compiling this great set of TED Talks. I've watched JJ Abrams' talk multiple times. Probably one of my favorites.

July 22, 2015 at 10:53AM

Bryan Tosh
Director of Photography

I've given a TED x Talk! It's about errors and why do we have to deal with them in filming; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw4xUlErvfc

Take a look ! Awesome post