July 28, 2015

Bugs Be Gone: Adobe Rolls Out First Major Update to Premiere Pro CC 2015

Adobe Premiere Pro 2015 Release
While the latest version of Premiere Pro is heavy on new features, some editors found it to be a bit buggy and unreliable at times.

Today, Adobe rolled out an update that should fix many of the issues people were experiencing and allay concerns for people who were holding off on upgrading to CC 2015 until it was a bit more stable.

Here's a list of the fixes and improvements that are included in the update:

Performance and Stability

• Heavy memory usage with Lumetri YUV Vectorscope
  • Improve AVCintra 100 performance
  • Importing many stills results in a crash
  • Crash when attempting to adjust a mask on a Lumetri effect
  • Hang when switching Lumetri Scopes to any other than Waveform
  • Crash on Windows if you open the Premiere preferences with invalid device settings
  • Premiere crashes when attempting to open a project that has an effect mask applied to the Fast Color Corrector video effect
  • The keyboard shortcut for legacy Source Settings was missing
  • Timeline panel auto-scrolls and follows mouse when no button is pressed
  • Timeline panel Mute buttons change state when playing/scrubbing sequence

Audio

• Audio distortion playing 5.1 clip in 5.1 track with multichannel master
  • Buzzing audio distortion when switching (Switch Audio) multicam cameras during playback.
  • Round tripping AAF results in random missing track items
  • Multimono clips in multichannel sequences do not play all audio channels
  • Audio crossfade transitions cause A/V sync offset when Round tripping FCP XML
  • Exporting timeline to AAF stalls near end of export
  • Volume set to minimum value, has no effect on channel volume
  • Performance issues with Multi-cam edit with 40+ audio channels.
  • Audio meters are lost when moving focus from trim window to timeline
  • Audio meters do not function when opening a project.
  • Audio Track Mixer and Audio Clip Mixer controls do not function after re-opening a project.
  • Audio Pops and clicks playing cut points in the timeline after source monitor scrub or playback
  • Crash when recording VO with transmit enabled and audio out is set audio device
  • Audio waveforms disappear in Source Monitor when a clip is opened a second time
  • Using “Write” mode in Audio Track Mixer automation does not record keyframes

Workflow

• Closed Captioning: MXF closed caption embedded files with AVI-I are not decoding properly / being recognized
  • Closed Captioning: With some files, captions will not display in the Source Monitor — captions also take a long time to load
  • Masks do not match the direct manipulation of the mask in the program window
  • Sync Settings : workspaces or keyboard shortcuts into Premiere CC 2015 that were created in CC 2014
  • Using Sync Settings once disables External Pref Management

This update is recommended for all users, and it's available right now for download within the Creative Cloud app.

so glad its finally updated. some of those bugs were causing serious problems in trying to get work done. but with all do respect to adobe progressing premiere, why does this always happen? I think we can all very safely say we would rather have waited and received this version than the headache the last was.

and please please change that splash screen.

July 28, 2015 at 12:57PM

Ricky Norris
Director/Cinematographer

I wonder how much extensive testing is done before they released the CC 2015... I think it is not cool considering how much we pay for the subscription.

July 29, 2015 at 1:25PM

Kayode

I'm not sure which scares me more -- how many of the bugs listed above I was running into, or the number of bugs that were still lurking in the shadows for me. Glad these are fixed, but I'm with Ricky -- I'd rather wait an extra month to get a more refined product.

Also: similar list of fixes for AfterEffects can be found here:

July 28, 2015 at 2:29PM, Edited July 28, 2:49PM

Bryan Howell
Screenwriter, corporate videographer, and indie filmmaker

Nice update!

July 28, 2015 at 3:27PM

This is good news :)

They really need to start classifying their major updates as Betas though until they get their shit together. It's sad to say that I know now not to trust the first wave of a major update from Adobe and wait for the next release but I learned the hard way by losing time and money and having to grovel to clients for missing deadlines due to my Adobe software dying on me for *insert bug here*. I'm really glad they DO listen and they usually fix shit pretty quick but it can't be good that it has become a literal joke in the industry now that we all know a new update from them means unstable software for us. I just feel for all those who are just getting used to this and might have to learn the hard way too.

Just think of the children Adobe! Think of the children! ;)

July 28, 2015 at 3:36PM, Edited July 28, 3:36PM

July 28, 2015 at 5:48PM

Andrew Klein
Camera Department

Agreed completely. I updated to CC 2015 as soon as I could, and all the bugs made finishing projects take way longer than they should have. Now I know. Edit: not sure why this posted five times in a row

July 28, 2015 at 5:48PM, Edited July 28, 5:50PM

Andrew Klein
Camera Department

Thank goodness. The last update was quite a step backwards. I'd still like to have the Audio Limiter filter back from the pre 2015 updates.

July 28, 2015 at 3:40PM, Edited July 28, 3:42PM

A good reminder to never perform major updates while in the middle of projects. I upgraded while in-between projects and promptly reverted back. I wrote to Adobe about all the crashes I was experiencing in SpeedGrade and their response was "you can't use scopes in SpeedGrade or it will crash due to a memory leak."

Wait, what? You released color correction software that can't utilize scopes? I like the comment from Kraig, that their first wave of releases should be labeled as beta.

Still, I'm pretty excited about all the new features in Premiere. The new Lumitri features are a nice addition. Glad it's all sorted out (supposedly).

July 28, 2015 at 8:58PM, Edited July 28, 9:00PM

Ty
Cinematographer, Editor, Director

Spent 7 hours today rendering a video in Adobe Media Encoder 2015. When the client asked to see the video, I decided to stop the render as a means for simply showing them the true nature of the grade as well as to provide the client with an 85% complete video. However, when I stopped the render, as a means to show what has been rendered, Adobe Media Encoder deleted the video file. In my CC 2014 and CC 2015 experience, Adobe doesn't appreciate the end-user. On average, a typical project is 50 - 60% creating a project and 50 - 40% dealing with Adobe bugs and glitches.

The company used to produce a reliable well-thought-out platform. Today, Adobe shouldn't make any product other than CS6, in my opinion. Not that they can't create options, but they do not appear to be able handle the ability to create a truly well-developed post-production platform.

Is Adobe's number 1 priority the end user? As of now, the end user gives them ideas. Then, they take the ideas and somehow manage to charge the customer because Adobe "has" the ability to create the program. However, the company can't even manage to release a fully-thought-out program. For all the users who are providing them with answers to their bugs, should you continue? After thousands of hours of difficulties as a result of Adob'e inability to release a fully functioning program, I strongly feel this should go up to the Better Business Bureau as a serious fault in our realm of economics in our current video industry.

July 28, 2015 at 9:38PM, Edited July 28, 9:44PM

Levi Davis
Editor / Shooter / Writer

Mine still crashes when i use some effects on it. :( So no filter and effects. (

July 29, 2015 at 7:16AM

Cathy Danneberg
Filmmaker, Editor, Designer, VFX

I'm probably going to be flamed for saying this. For those of you saying they should have waited a month to release something more stable, I bet they didn't know about a lot of these bugs. Even if they did know about them getting samples from thousands and thousands of users using the program they can find the bugs and what causes them a lot faster than a few guys on a limited number of platforms. No offense to their team, but the more people and samples you get the easier it would be to find and then squash the offending bugs. This is the nature of programming and it is why I always wait a while and read about the problems and bugs people are having online and then do some sample workflow before updating.

July 29, 2015 at 9:28AM, Edited July 29, 9:29AM

True, I know what you are saying but at least other developers (Blackmagic immediately spring to mind) acknowledge this by releasing a public beta. It's about trust and Adobe take for granted that we as paid professionals trust that their software works because it's been released to web and isn't an open beta. When Resolve 12 Beta came out I installed it on my laptop but wouldn't dream of installing to my workstation because I know that if I were to install it and something went wrong then it would be my own fault. Adobe have been doing this for years now and I really doubt that they don't know better by now. Anyway, my point is that they can resolve these trust issues by increasing their closed beta numbers, being a little less ambitious with their updates (which let's face it would suck but at least the bloody thing would work) or simply doing a public beta. At least then I can finally remove Adobe tech support from my speed dial list (no joke!) ;p

July 29, 2015 at 12:44PM, Edited July 29, 12:45PM

After a month of happily using CC15 (noticing a few of the bugs) I had to go back to CC14 for a project, and found it way more buggy and unstable than the new version. Plus I missed the new features I'd gotten used to. I do miss being able to right click an R3D shot in the timeline to get to source settings though.

July 29, 2015 at 9:03PM

Paul Watt
Cam Op

This release has been the stuff NIGHTMARES are made of. In future I'll not be upgrading for a couple of months. I just can't risk the problem of bugs like this destroying my workflow. I actually had a project go in late because my system was so crippled. I had to re-download cc2014 to be able to work. When you're away shooting with bad wifi this can be a headache on a new level. Glad to see the bugs have been squashed (or so I hope).

July 30, 2015 at 5:31AM

Ryan Mackfall
Director / Producer

Didn't resolve my major problem. Renders with Warp Stablizer never works, everytime i open a session, i've to render those clips again. So, it's not a "thanks for nothing", but in my case, it's almost that!

July 30, 2015 at 12:44PM

Filipe Correia
Director | DOP | Producer | Editor

you will not believe what i going to say now: the solution is about the intel graphics driver... i know, it's sounds ridicoluos but works, you need to update it and the warp stab never'll crash again!

July 30, 2015 at 5:21PM

themsd
editor, post-production artist, DOP

Mine is crashing on me every 10 minutes or so.

July 30, 2015 at 7:47PM

Steve Yager
Filmmaker

And while you are waiting, you can be "Subscribing". No pesky need to be owning anything anymore

July 31, 2015 at 9:02AM

RE: Timeline panel auto-scrolls and follows mouse when no button is pressed.

I still experience this issue with the 2014 CC version. I have clients that haven't upgraded to the 2015 version, so I need that bug to be squashed. BTW, if you experience it, you can work around it by invoking any of the trim keyboard shortcuts, and then switching back to the move tool...problem gone for a short while until it comes back again. Very annoying.

July 31, 2015 at 8:37PM, Edited July 31, 8:37PM

David Patterson
videographer/editor

Thanks for causing me a massive amount of problems with my client Adobe! Really appreciate it! Sync problems on export are ridiculous. Solution of exporting Video and Audio separately and dropping them into CS6 (CC2014 not available to re-download!!) for export seems to do the trick. Also revealed that the sync was out by around 5-10 frames in the CC2015. How could your beta testers have missed this? Anyway, rant over and lesson learned regarding updating to new version too quickly! :-/

August 4, 2015 at 3:03PM