July 20, 2015

This Cheap DIY Battery Board Will Make Your Charging Nightmares a Dream

If your battery charging station is looking like a rat's nest from hell and you're not quite sure how to get it under control, you might want to take a look at this.

Working with tons of batteries is just a part of filmmaking, especially on larger productions, and charging them is obviously an absolute necessity. The folks over at Vimeo Video School have come up with a clever (and cheap) way of organizing all of your batteries on a "battery board" that is not only portable, but can be hung on a wall to keep it out of the way. Here's their helpful video tutorial to walk you through the process of making your own:

They've also shared the supply list:

Now, $113 isn't super cheap, but when you consider the fact that -- well -- filmmaking is usually super expensive, I'd say it's a great investment for those who work with a lot of batteries. Also, if you're more of a jigsaw puzzle kind of person rather than a jigsaw power tool kind of person, you could just forgo all of the sawing. The Vimeo Production team was aiming to make the battery board portable and able to be hung on a wall, so if those things aren't particularly important to you, don't worry about getting your hands on the heavy artillery.

Hahaha, I know quite a few guitarists who use this for their FX-pedals for many years. I guess front row on a concert can be very inspiring ;-)

July 21, 2015 at 6:05AM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Hey nice job guys. Am going to build one. To add to this am going to add a battery bank along with this. Keep it up.

July 21, 2015 at 9:11AM

Dibyendu Joardar
Director of Photography

Good job guys!

July 21, 2015 at 9:56AM

William Scherer
Writer/Director/Producer/Fine Art Aerial Photography

this is great! the only thing I will change is I will drill holes and run the cables in the back of the board...i hate cables.

July 21, 2015 at 11:05AM

One option I've heard of (have never tried it myself) is a toolbox. Not as neat, but perhaps more portable. The idea is simply that you hide the rat's nest inside the toolbox, but drill a hole in one side to stick a power cable out.

July 21, 2015 at 5:12PM

Adrian Tan
Videographer

Neat, and/or to get rid of few of your batteries (and thus chargers) you could spend a bit more and get a v-mount battery plate with all the right connectors and invest in v-mount batteries one by one and make it future-proof. And yes, I know this is in slightly different budget bracket but should pay for itself over time..

July 22, 2015 at 5:09AM

PJ Palomaki
Cinematographer | Motion Graphics

I did something similar a couple of weeks ago. However I built it into a small case so I can actually carry it around easily:

July 22, 2015 at 8:45AM