GoPro today announced the newest addition to their HERO4 family of cameras. It's called the HERO 4 Session, and it is tiny, waterproof, and ready for action.
Tiny isn't an understatement either. The HERO4 Session is not only half the size of the original HERO4, but it is also 40% lighter. That's the good news. Now for not-so-good news: the Session shoots at 1080p at 60fps or 720p at 100fps. This puts it well behind the HERO4 Black in terms of resolution and frame rate capabilities. Then again, of all the cameras that GoPro manufactures, this one is geared most towards action sports folks who need the smallest, lightest profile possible in their cameras, and on that front, GoPro delivered.
Here's a rundown of the features on the HERO4 Session:
Video is no longer available: youtu.be/pzMRr5eTtho
Here's a snazzy high-octane montage of footage from the new HERO4 Session.
And here are the basic features and specs:
- Video at 1080/60p, 720/100p and 1440/30p (2.5k)
- Waterproof to 33’ (10m), no separate housing required
- Easy one-button control: short press of shutter powers camera on and begins capturing video, long shutter button press powers camera on and begins capturing time-lapse photos
- Captures 8MP Single, Burst, and Time Lapse photos
- Compatible with GoPro mounts and accessories
- Dual Mic system captures enhanced audio during high wind and water-based activities
- Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth® enable easy connectivity to GoPro App and Smart Remote
- Auto image rotation corrects image orientation during recording
- Includes standard and low-profile frame mounts for increased mounting versatility
- New Ball Joint Buckle mount is included
- Price: $400
The HERO4 Session may not be a dream camera for many filmmakers, but its diminutive size and built-in waterproof casing make it a utilitarian tool for people who need to capture video or stills in hard to reach places where it may be exposed to the elements. There are also plenty of possibilities for using the HERO4 Session in array rigs for bullet time and virtual reality experiences.
The GoPro HERO4 Session is currently available for pre-order through the GoPro website, and it is expected to begin shipping later this month.