Turn Your iPhone into a Fully Functional Super8-Style Camera with the Lumenati CS1

Lumenati CS1
Smartphone accessories for filmmaking are a dime a dozen these days, but the Lumenati CS1 offers something unique.

Essentially, the CS1 (which is currently crowdfunding) is a case for the iPhone 6 that gives the phone a similar form factor and functionality to the super8 cameras of the 60s and 70s. Complete with a pistol grip (with a fully-functioning trigger) and a viewfinder, the CSI solves a few of the issues inherent with shooting on a phone. Check out their Kickstarter video below:

Here are the basic features of the CS1:

Lumenati CS1 Features

The folks at Lumenati also designed an app with all sorts of video functionality. Not only can you use the app for shooting video (with all of the manual controls you'd need), but you can also use it to edit and share

Lumenati App

Even though I can already hear the cries of, "OMG, this thing is just, like, so hipstery," you've got to give these dudes credit for not only making the smartphone form factor more workable, but also incorporating a proper viewfinder and a recording button. Whether we like it or not, smartphone filmmaking is here to stay, so now it's a matter of figuring out how we can work with the technology and minimize its many limitations. This device is definitely a step in the right direction, particularly if you're a fan of the super8 form factor.

If you're interested in learning more about the Lumenati CS1, or placing a pre-order (for a price of $199), head on over to their Kickstarter page

You Might Also Like

"Even though I can already hear the cries of, "OMG, this thing is just, like, so hipstery"."

...Said the man in an old man hat with a mustache. Still, I'm with you. It's a nice concept.

Can they make one where the video is shot vertically?

July 15, 2015 at 2:34PM

Unfortunately (and it pains me to admit this), the mustache is a fake. The old man hat is totally real though, for whatever that's worth.

July 15, 2015 at 4:39PM

Rob Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker Freedom

I can't wait for the day that an iphone can shoot 4k raw, and there's a whole market for different camera bodies with image stabilization, tons of battery power, swappable mounts, mic preamps etc.

July 15, 2015 at 2:49PM

Don't hold your breath.

July 24, 2015 at 5:30PM

LOL Hilarious! Hipster or retro, they nailed it. Great concept. Improve upon something that works. And no need to glue anything to the phone.
Anyone thinking of the SmallHD Sidefinder?
They must use the 58mm lens mount for a reason. Sure would be nice to use a more common mount…
The first version works with iPhone 6, not 6+, which has an optical stabilizer.

July 15, 2015 at 4:07PM, Edited July 15, 4:08PM

Charlie K

What is the deal with all this iPhone fancy staff I have been seeing all this time? I don't mind seeing this, but would have made more sense to develop things for android thanks to the removable battery and memory? Please don't reply with "iPhone have better image". It is a phone guys, and expensive as well.

July 15, 2015 at 7:01PM, Edited July 15, 7:01PM

Edgar More
All

Okay Edgar. But which Android? And how many of that model exist?

The Android world is split amongst a lot of handsets from a lot of manufacturers, every one of different dimensions. Apple has two models owned by a lot of people, and Apple tends to keep exterior dimensions for two cycles (iPhone 4 & 4s, 5 & 5s). Most likely, the next model will have the same dimensions as the iPhone 6. For an accessory manufacturer, that saves a lot of expensive tooling for one device that can be sold to a lot of people for two years.

July 16, 2015 at 2:55AM

Charlie K

duped

July 16, 2015 at 2:55AM, Edited July 16, 2:56AM

Charlie K

They had the time to find all this information. Take Samsung, their galaxy and note phones for example. Making a devise that can adjust just a couple of sentiments will be enough in order to work with a lot of phones. This new device is just a niche developed for people who are likely willing to pay for luxury or fancy items. As a filmmaker and almost a 1000$ would you go out there and buy a camera with a fixed battery and memory in 2015?

July 16, 2015 at 8:14AM

Edgar More
All

As a filmmaker, I wouldn't be buying a camera to shoot a movie.
As a $100-200 add on, this is interesting. The form factor is right.
Adjusting hardware to fit other phones is not trivial.

July 16, 2015 at 3:03PM

Charlie K

Now that is fucking cool. Way cooler than those bullshit "lens-camera on a smartphone" things from Sony, they were awkward. This is sweet.

July 15, 2015 at 7:18PM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

Illumenati CS1 FTFY. They're everywhere.

July 15, 2015 at 11:42PM, Edited July 15, 11:42PM

Cool idea? Sure. I just wonder how they plan on handling the yearly iPhone upgrade. I have felt burned on iPhone accessories in the past as form factors have changed, or ports have been replaced. Nothing more frustrating than buying a device that has a usable lifespan of 1-2 years.
I am sure with the correct design such as a swappable insert could help mitigate these issues, but there is no predicting the size or shape of the next iPhone.

July 16, 2015 at 9:53AM, Edited July 16, 9:53AM

BAAAAA HA hahahahahahahahahha!!!!

July 16, 2015 at 5:34PM

I think it's a really cool concept. I love the color off my iPhone 6 and the way it can stabilize handheld video that isn't too shaky to begin with. I'd be interested in this for the fun of it, if it were around $50 or so. But $200+ is a little pricey for something that is just for fun every so often. It would be hard for me to choose making even a short film on an iPhone when I have access to DSLRs and a C100mkII. The only thing that might sway me is if the 6S comes out sporting 4K capture at 24fps and the app does an amazing filmlook while shooting that wouldn't require me to do any serious post correction/grading. At which point it might be a fun little tool for making some shoestring budget short films with a group of friends.

But the thing that makes the iphone great for video right now (home video that is) is that it's in your pocket all the time and is small. So this defeats that.

What we really need is a camera like this (super 8 style and inexpensive) that can use the iPhone/Galaxy as the brain and viewfinder, but use its own sensor and manual dials.

July 18, 2015 at 6:22PM

Mike Tesh
Pro Video / Indie Filmmaker

Yea I'm same with you the concept is really cool, but $200+ is way too much money for a toy.

I think that's what Sony Q and DxOmark was trying to do or still trying. And maybe Black Magic Micro and this new E1 camera is going more for modular too.
If someone could actually start thinking about making a great modular system like that you could combine with your smart phone that would be great.

I am currently using my a7s and using my iphone as external monitor and control and it's great but you still can't control picture profile when you are tethered with the phone. Once they solve that problem it would be golden, or if someone else comes out with a app that has full control plus lut it would be awesome too. I wish I new how to code and make apps.... =P

July 20, 2015 at 10:13AM, Edited July 20, 10:16AM