Atomos came out guns blazing at IBC, making announcements for pretty much everything in their product line-up, as well as price drops that include the world's first Pro-Res/DNxHR monitor-recorder under $300.
Atomos has adjusted the price on their HD recorder/monitors to record lows, allowing customers to save over 50%. Here's the pricing breakdown for each:
The big thing here is that with the Ninja being only $300, this means that Apple ProRes and AVID DNxHD recording is affordable for pretty much everyone, or as Atomos CEO Jeromy Young describes it, "ProRes is now for the masses."
Aimed at live event, studio, on-set, and broadcast pros, IBC attendees were able to get their first look at "the world's first all-in-one 4K/HD 3RU 2ch dual 7" rack recorder, monitor, and playback deck, the Shogun Studio, which allows users to record two separate inputs simultaneously in their preferred resolution (4K at 30p or HD at 120p).
- 4K, 1080p60 recording to popular professional codecs
- 2 channels for dual codec, dual resolution recording
- Scheduled playback and record via Ethernet, Serial & on-screen
- Class leading monitors & test measurement for perfect 4K viewing & set up on build in HD monitors
- Powerful & intuitive AtomOS offers one touch simplicity for any operator
- Utilize the Atomos Master Caddy for reliable, affordable open standard media
- Continuous build in HDMI and SDI convertor with down scaling for 4K to 2K/HD match you infrastructure
- Dual IEC c14 PSUs to integrate with your rack power distribution system
The Shogun Studio will be available in Q4, 2015 for $3500.
The Shogun and Ninja Assassin have been upgraded to version 6.5 of AtomOS, which includes plenty of great firmware updates:
- Motion Blur added to Time-lapse, blurring up to 64 continuous frames together in one sequence
- New and improved frame guides added for 16:9, 2.40:1, 2.35:1, 1.9:1, 1.85:1, 4:3
- 1:1 and 2:1 zoom can now be selected when anamorphic de-squeeze is enabled
- will benefit from all of the above features as well as the following SDI and Raw based functionality
- Canon Raw and Mk II Raw to ProRes and DNXHR recording, giving C500 users a viable 4K recording solution and
- C300MKII users a cost effective alternative to CFast recording media.
- New 3D LUT’s preloaded onto the unit specifically for C500 and C300 MKII
- Start/stop trigger for JVC and Ikegami camera triggers
- Added LTC input via the Genlock input
You can download the firmware for free here.
We've covered Atomos' newest addition to their 4K recorders, the Ninja Assassin. There's nothing really new to share, so we'll just give you a reminder of how powerful this thing is. It delivers 325ppi monitoring functionality, 7” screen size, 1920x1080 resolution, a 10% weight reduction (15 oz.), and is a true 10-bit 4:2:2 professional recording solution for Apple, AVID, and Adobe workflows. The Ninja Assassin is geared towards cameras like the a7s and a7RII, the GH4, FS7, and the DVX-200.
The Ninja Assassin is available now for $1295.