September 26, 2015

Jockey Motion is a 4-Axis Gimbal That Can Also Upgrade Your 3-Axis Ronin & AllSteady

Sometimes less is more, but for the Jockey Motion 4-axis gimbal, more is more.

Gimbals have truly changed the way we approach camera stabilization, but their 3-axis designs that control tilt, roll and pan don't address the one very crucial part: the vertical axis. The All-in-One Jockey Motion, now running a Kickstarter campaign, was designed by Turbo Ace engineers to tackle this issue head-on, its 4-axis technology counteracting the movement incurred from the gait of an operator.

Not only does the Jockey Motion stabilize your camera on 4 axises using "Adjustable Coil Tension" and "Quadruple Hydraulic Suspension" technology, but it can handle payloads of up to 20 lbs., so clearly weight limits aren't going to be much of a hinderance.

Technical Specifications (All-in-One)

• Frame: CNC Aircraft Grade Aluminum
  • Jockey Handlebars: 30mm Carbon Fiber Tubes
  • Motion Handlebars: 25mm Carbon Fiber Tubes
  • Handles: Carbon Core with Rubberized Grips
  • Payload Capcity for Camera Equipment: 8 lbs
  • Dimensions: 22" (W) x 19" (H) x 12" (D)
  • Operating Weight of Jockey Motion (8.8 lbs) + Camera (4 lbs): Jockey Support Rig transfers most of the resulting 12.8 lbs load to your hips leaving less than 2.6 lbs on your arms.
All-in-One Jockey Motion 4-Axis Gimbal

Turbo Ace has also managed to offer Ronin and AllSteady owners a way to upgrade their stabilizers with their "4th Axis" package, which gives their 3-axis gimbals an additional axis of stabilization.

Technical Specifications (4th Axis Gimbal)

• Frame: CNC Aircraft Grade Aluminum
  • Handlebars: 30mm Carbon Fiber Booms
  • Handles: Carbon Core with Rubberized Grips
  • Payload Capacity: Up to 20 lbs
  • Dimensions: 22" (W) x 7" (H) x 11" (D)
  • Differential Weight (Upgrading Ronin from 3-axis to 4-axis): 2.8 lbs
  • Operating Weight of Ronin (10 lbs) + Jockey Differential Weight (2.8 lbs) + Camera (5 lbs): Jockey Support Rig transfers most of the resulting 17.8 lbs load to your hips leaving less than 3.6 lbs on your arms.

Compatible 3-Axis Gimbals

• DJI Ronin: Compatible with PACKAGE-R
  • DJI Ronin-M: Compatible with PACKAGE-R
  • AllSteady-6Pro: Compatible with PACKAGE-A
  • AllSteady-6Plus: Compatible with PACKAGE-A
  • AllSteady Motion: Part of the JOCKEY MOTION 4-AXIS GIMBAL ALL-IN-ONE PACKAGE
4-Axis Gimbal upgrade
4-Axis Gimbal upgrade on a Ronin

Again, the Jockey Motion, as well as its 4th Axis Upgrade are currently on Kickstarter. Here is a pricing breakdown for each of the packages being offered:

• Deluxe Package A: 4th Axis Upgrade for AllSteady ($999)
  • Deluxe Package R: 4th Axis Upgrade for Ronin ($1099)
  • Pro Package A: 4th Axis Upgrade for AllSteady w/ support rig ($1299)
  • Pro Package R: 4th Axis Upgrade for Ronin w/ support rig ($1399)
  • All-in-One Package: Jockey Motion ($2599)

For more information or to make a pledge, head on over to Jockey Motion's Kickstarter campaign

This looks amazing!
I don't think it can seamlessly go from low to high mode, though.

September 26, 2015 at 8:10PM

John Ros
Chief Creative Officer, DP — Subplot Entertainment

There is a mounting plate on the top and bottom of the device. You can flip your gimbal around for low and high mode. I wouldn't say it's seamless because there is some adjustment involved, but it's easy once you get the hang of it. No tools required.

September 28, 2015 at 1:31PM

I wonder how many extra Axis of stabilization would I gain if I attach the jockey on to a bunch of balloons.

September 26, 2015 at 8:36PM

Edgar More
All

I like this but...it seems pricey,
Has anyone tried building one of these DIY Backpacks?

September 27, 2015 at 2:38AM

Darryl Gregory
Director of Photography

Why isn't there a MōVI option?

September 27, 2015 at 6:16AM

K W

Probably a MoVI needs a whole different mounting plate*, but I think it can be solved with a Ninja Star and a Toad-in-the-hole. That will make it quickly exchangable with the normal setup, Tero, jib/crane, drone as well. :-)

I read that the Allstar version uses a Manfrotto quickrelease plate: which probably means there is 1 central screw. The Ronin might have that as well, or they simply have no access to a MoVI yet and that will be a next kickstarter :)
Anyway: a MoVI needs 4 non centric screws instead of 1 central screw.

September 27, 2015 at 10:12AM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

OR...just put a gimbal on top of your steadicam rig and save your back. It'll be interesting to see how quickly all these gimbal operators start getting back injuries because holding a heavy rig like this is pretty much the worst way to distribute the load.

September 27, 2015 at 12:25PM

Pat Heine
Producer.

Right!?? The Ronin is already heavy, I don't want more. If I did, I would use a vest/steadicam.

September 28, 2015 at 4:43PM

Neat idea but isn't there a 5 axis gimbal coming out soon?

September 27, 2015 at 12:57PM

As a prof. Steadicam operator I can tell you, that even Ronin and a simple DSLR is too heavy for whole day shootings. Even if you do work out regularly. With that Jockey Motion, the entire system gets even more weight. You need the same body support as we Steadicam users are used to.

September 27, 2015 at 1:10PM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator/Owner

Yeah, I don't see the benefit of this. It looks like it's adding unnecessary weight. The shots it's getting look almost identical to the shots we've gotten with our Ronin. I'm not sure I see the point in spending that much to make it even heavier. And I don't mind the "bulky" backpacks, there's a reason they are the go-to method for camera stabilizers. They're basically saying "Add all this weight for $1,000 and on top of that buy our own gimbal stabilizer (wink wink) which doesn't remove all the weight from your arms, too, instead of one of those backpacks." This feels like a total opulence purchase and not a practical one.

Unless I'm just totally misinterpreting this device, which is possible, but I just don't get it.

September 27, 2015 at 8:28PM

Well, it says it moves 17 lbs to the hips, leaving less than 3.6 lbs of weight for the arms when you use a Ronin with a 5 lbs payload. So it seems to redistribute at least part of the weight.
The benefit compared to 'one of those backpacks' seems to be that you can easily fit through a door when you are tall. (I'm 6'2", so a carrying arm above me has to be right above my head to prevent bumping into the topside of a door opening.)

But I think this device could be much more interesting as a carmount :-p

September 28, 2015 at 3:51AM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Huh? That's really not true in the least. I run around with a Letus Helix kitted with a teredek, bartech, DP7 and a RED and cine lens combination often with multiple filters all the time and there are a ton of Movi Ops who do the same.

But I definitely do agree with you that the jockey motion seems like unnecessary weight. Good operating gets rid of vertical translation movement without an overly absurd amount of practice.

October 2, 2015 at 4:10PM

Derek Means
Director of Photography

Very creative to make it work with existing stabilizers. I would have to assume DJI will introduce this as a all in one feature into the next/newer Ronin sooner than later though, right?

September 28, 2015 at 10:35AM, Edited September 28, 10:35AM

John D. Smith
Cinematographer

I have a bad experience buying the AllSteady gimbal at beginning of the year, I would not dare to support this company again!

September 28, 2015 at 12:10PM

Wayne Lam
Artist Photographer and Filmmaker

I have one for sale for 1200.00. 400.00 off B&H's list price. Brand new. Never used.

EM me at saintmarkspictures@gmail.com if interested.

February 16, 2016 at 8:31PM

Tim Naylor - DP
Director of Photography

I have one for sale 1100.00 with Ronin plate, low mode adaptor and belt. That's 500.00 off list price at B&H. Interested, EM me at saintmarkspictures@gmail.com

February 20, 2016 at 2:14PM