October 13, 2015

Apple Updates iMac Lineup with 4K & 5K Displays, Improves Color Technology

iMac with Retina Display
Apple is bringing more of its iMacs, including the 21.5-inch machines, into the high resolution future.

In a press release today, Apple made several notable announcements in regards to its iMac lineup. First and foremost, the 21.5-inch iMac now has the option of a 4K Retina Display, which uses the same technology as the 5K iMac which was introduced last year. While there are still a few lower-end 21.5-inch iMacs with 1080p displays, this represents the first time that a high-resolution display will be available in the smaller Apple all-in-one.

Secondly, the entire lineup of 27-inch iMacs now features the new and improved 5K Retina Display (more about those improvements later). While there was already a lower-end 5K iMac that came in at just below $2000, today's announcement means that you can snag a 27-inch 5K iMac for $1800. It is, of course, stripped down a bit in terms of processing, graphics, and storage hardware, but it still gets you that glorious 5K display at the lowest price so far.

Also, Apple has apparently improved upon the color reproduction technology inside of these 4K and 5K Retina Displays, saying simply that the new displays "feature a wider P3-based color gamut that provides a 25 percent larger color space." While more accurate displays are always appreciated, it's hard to say how much of a tangible difference this new tech will make for people doing critical color work on their iMacs.

Lastly, the company introduced new versions of their iMac accessories, including a new keyboard, mouse, and trackpad, all of which feature internal batteries which can be charged with a Lighting cable. The new trackpad also features the same Force Touch technology found in the Macbook, which provides a more tactile way to interact with content on the screen.

All of these new iMacs and accessories are currently available to purchase directly from Apple.

Not worth it. I built a much better computer with an intel 6 core i7-5820k processor, with 32GB of RAM for around $1000. Now I don't have to buy a whole new computer when I want a new 8K monitor (though I don't really care).

October 13, 2015 at 10:37PM

OSX?

October 15, 2015 at 10:50AM, Edited October 15, 10:50AM

Josh Paul
Most often DP, Direct or Gaff

Long time mac user, but I have to say I'm not impressed. I think the 4K screens are cool. But the Intel graphics are a setback, as is the use of a broadwell chipset on the 4K model. Skylake is the chipset that has hardware H.265 support. At this point, nobody seems to be in a rush to adopt H.265 (not even camera makers it seems) but if I were to buy one of these machines, knowing I would keep it for about 5 years or so, I'd want that ability for whenever it does become standard. Especially if the machine has a 4K screen on it.

Other than that I'm just become more and more disenchanted with Apple for soldering everything into their machines. I don't know how these machines are for upgradability, but I'm going to guess that nothing can be upgraded on them, probably not even the ram or hard drive. I really don't want to spend $1500+ on a machine where I can't upgrade anything. Especially with the premium Apple charges for that stuff. $500 for a 512 SSD? Really? I just bought one for my 2008 Macbook for $160.

I also have a late 2012 Mac Mini, which was the last model to offer an i7 with the ability to upgrade ram and put two drives in it. Which is great for a cheap editing desktop. I have 16GB of ram in there now. So it should be a fairly decent machine and typically is. But even then it's crippled by the Intel graphics. I can't run Resolve on it for example. So as much as I hate to do it, I'm probably building a PC as my next desktop and probably sooner than I was hoping when I bought this machine in 2013. Way more bang for the buck on the PC side and Windows has gotten better, more OS X-like in certain ways.

October 13, 2015 at 10:39PM, Edited October 13, 10:51PM

Mike Tesh
Pro Video / Indie Filmmaker

I don't know. Apple is making a ton of cash, but I can't say I'm impressed either.

Mobile graphics trying to push around a 5k display. 5400rpm hard drives. No target display mode to use the monitor with another computer. The case is taped shot and you can only upgrade the RAM via a trap door. Anything else literally requires surgery to cut through the double sided tape holding the case together.

I keep hearing horror stories about thermal problems, because in the seemingly never ending quest for thinness the case has poor ventilation. Who puts the expel vents on the bottom, with no vent at all on top? Hot air rises. Apparently the machine will throttle down under continuous heavy load, so they don't bake themselves. I hear of some people actually drilling holes in the back of the case for extra cooling.

Apple really needs a machine between the iMac and Mac Pro.

And they need to get over this thinness craze that is coming at the expense of performance and reliability. Computers are tools, not fashion accessories.

October 13, 2015 at 11:21PM, Edited October 13, 11:21PM

...also, the assumption that the ram and hard drives cannot be upgraded is silly, as they do it on site at apple stores during repairs. As far as expandability goes, you may be missing the purpose of thunderbolt all together.

October 15, 2015 at 10:01AM, Edited October 15, 10:01AM

Colin Williams
Sound

Do just a tiny amount of research, this is far more capable than the integrated graphics on older machines.

October 15, 2015 at 9:16AM

Colin Williams
Sound

Finally! I've been waiting for this upgrade for a while! I understand the disappointment of some of us but all in all it makes it worth a buy if you need to upgrade witch is my case. Happy to see that I don't have to wait more!

October 13, 2015 at 11:58PM

AvdS

I want to edit some 4k but the new imac 21.5 doesn't seem up to the job which is strange when everyone is bringing out 4k phones. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

October 14, 2015 at 12:40PM

And with this release we finally have Skylake support, which means I should finally be able to upgrade my Hackintosh!

I was contemplating a nMP, but it's currently almost 2 years old, there's been no updates, no way to beef up the GPUs due to a proprietary configuration, and with the Aussie dollar where it is, it'll cost me almost $10k to spec it up. Probably over $10k when the next refresh comes out.

Or I can spend $1.5K and upgrade my current system to a i76700k, with 64GB RAM, dual GTX970 and TB3 support (if OSX recognises it). Bit of a no brainer really...

October 14, 2015 at 7:37PM

What the heck is that Graphics processor anyway? No upgrade to it, it's already a year-and-a-half old... We've been hoodwinked. With no way out. I have Canon in my face and Apple in my backside. I've been roped in and fenced in by 'systems' rather than given tools to work with. I've got systems to work within. Now, I can't afford to go without. A career pockmarked by deposits of cash into the pockets of the indifferent. Alas!

October 15, 2015 at 12:33PM

Jacques Adelle-Boix
Director

Oh, Apple. After briefly flirting with industry standards and pro-customer decisions, you're wandering way out into the weeds again. Remember the '90s? Apparently not.

Example: "High-end" desktop computers that are GLUED TOGETHER, to make them pointlessly "thinner."

And keyboards with no real Delete key. Apple continues to churn out keyboards with only a Backspace key, mislabeled "delete."

Seriously, WTF? How can this craven stupidity continue? Meanwhile, the majority of Mac users use the arrows or mouse to move the cursor to the end of whatever they want to delete, and then backspace over it. That's TWICE the work of a regular platform, and pathetic. And no, they don't use hidden, two-handed hotkey combinations as a workaround for the missing Delete key.

And let's not even get started on Apple's legendary history of making the worst mice on the planet.

Then there's the embarrassing Lightning connector. Apple needed a new connector for mobile devices, but we all expected something BETTER than the 30-pin one. NOPE. Apple managed to produce a pitifully inept I/O standard that delivers WORSE video than the ancient, hacked iPod connector (read Panic's revealing and disappointing article about it here: https://www.panic.com/blog/the-lightning-digital-av-adapter-surprise ). And they REMOVED the audio line-out pins from devices that are largely media players! Again, this is utterly retarded. If you're not going to have proper audio and video connections, there's no excuse for not using a variant of Thunderbolt or at least USB.

Apple: going backward fast.

October 15, 2015 at 2:03PM, Edited October 15, 2:03PM

David Gurney
DP

Not worth it.. rip-off! Apple calls this an update? The base model is still the lowly i5 and if you pay through your teeth, you get an i7 quad core? I was seriously waiting to buy one IF and WHEN they had 6 cores. Quad core doesn't cut it any more for the work I am doing with 3D and 4K videos. Wake up Apple!

October 15, 2015 at 2:32PM, Edited October 15, 2:34PM