November 3, 2015

This Delectable Doc Series on Gourmet Sandwiches Reminds Us to Follow Our Passions

Roberto Serrini Make Me A Sandwich
You may remember Roberto Serrini from his stylish short doc about a motorcycle mechanic who hates motorcycles. However, Serrini is also a sandwich fiend on a quest to find and document the world's best sandwiches.

In honor of National Sandwich Day -- yes, it's a real thing, look it up -- we're sharing the no-budget web series boldly titled Make Me a Sandwich, which was brought into existence by Serrini and producer/world-renowned chef Jeremy Spector. The pair set out to find NYC's best chefs and have them craft their idea of the perfect sandwich. What they came up with might very well be some of the most mouthwatering sandwich-based documentary content ever produced.

Check out a few of the the most delicious episodes below:

And finally, the world's greatest sandwich:

You might be asking yourself why this series is showing up on No Film School. Well for starters, sandwiches are awesome, and anybody who disagrees with that statement is just plain wrong. Secondly, Roberto and Jeremy made this series without any budget or sponsorship. They did it simply out of their love of sandwiches. Here's what Roberto had to say about how he shot and cut this series:

I think what's interesting from a production standpoint is how minimal the overhead is. It's shot on a Canon 5D with a shotgun on the top and a lav to the chef, both going into the mic port through a splitter. That's it. Natural light, real kitchens, and real chefs making their real favorite sandwiches. Each shoot takes about 20 minutes and about an hour to cut in post.

All of this serves as a great example of the type of work you can do in your spare time. Not only can this kind of project help you explore a topic that you're passionate about, but it allows you to hone your filmmaking skills and build up your reel. And if all goes well, it could end up helping you earn some recognition for your work. In this case, thanks to the wide appeal of sandwiches, Roberto has received some free publicity from massive websites like Serious Eats and Gothamist. Not to mention all of the amazing sandwiches that he got to eat.

It just goes to show that if you love something, you can't go wrong with making a film about it. The worst case scenario is that you've made a film about something you love. And if you do a good job, the potential upside for your career as a filmmaker is massive.

Says "a little bit of mozzarella" and then proceeds to pack on plenty of cheese. I like how he thinks!

November 3, 2015 at 5:45PM, Edited November 3, 5:45PM

Alexandra
Videographer / Documentary Filmmaker

Kinda hard to watch when the focus moves in and out 5 times a second. Should probably step down the old aperture and not shoot at 1.4

November 3, 2015 at 6:44PM

Jelly Tompkins
Filmmaker

I would just suggest they put this thing in Premiere and use the warp stabilizer effect on some of those shots.

November 4, 2015 at 10:34AM

Nick Brilleaux
Editor

These are good suggestions for sure. The goal was to go in light, and get out quick. Hence shooting wide open with available light, and, unfortunately, less then stable footage. I love warp stabilizer Nick, definitely a good suggestion, but on some shots (especially with primes), it turns them into jello and makes them look wanky. Leaving them shaky seems more honest. In the end, the audience here is foodies, who tend to be a little more lenient on the quality of the film, vs the content. Thanks for the feedback, it is always welcomed.

November 9, 2015 at 2:39AM

Roberto Serrini
Director • Editor

I think this is a fantastic example of great work.
Not fussing over what gear you have, getting some friends together and shooting something that you care about.
This is what film making is all about.
I love the style, I love how the focus breathes, I love the crew chipping in with the dialouge, a perfect mix.

You conjured up the confidence in me to message an amazing local coffee shop near me and ask them about making a small piece like these.

Thanks, you lovely guys you!
I'll make you a sandwich one time! ;)

November 9, 2015 at 5:31AM

David, very kind words. Glad you liked it, and moreso, liked it for what it is suppose to be. I'm glad NFS shared it because it really is about exactly what you're doing; finding a subject you love and capturing it, and not letting anything, budget/gear/time stop you. I'll make the sammich's, you bring the coffee;)

November 9, 2015 at 2:32PM

Roberto Serrini
Director • Editor

Really fun.

I did a small show last year and one of the episodes was a restaurant that only does bacon sandwiches. I love people who obsess over simple things like tacos, beer, and especially sandwiches. Such a crazy world.

Despite some technical issues with the videos, I really think the energy and fun came through, which I would trade over pristine shots any day.

Great work.