November 18, 2015

SLR Magic's New 50mm f/1.1 is a Fast & Cheap Cine Lens for Sony E-Mount

SLR Magic E-Mount 50mm 1.1
At the Inter BEE show in Japan, SLR Magic showed off their newest cine lens, a super fast E-Mount 50mm f/1.1.

At $350, it's one of the fastest and least expensive native cine lenses for Sony cameras (clickless aperture and geared iris/focus), and covers full-frame. While I'm not expecting it to match up against true high-end cinema lenses in performance, SLR Magic has managed to create some fantastic budget lenses that certainly perform better than their price tags. Here's a look at the specs for the lens:

• Covers Full-Frame Sensors
  • Aperture Range: f/1.1 to f/16
  • Cine Geared Focus and Iris Rings
  • Clickless Iris Ring
  • 13-Blade Circular Aperture
  • 52mm Filter Thread Diameter
  • 6 Elements in 5 Groups
  • Lens Front Does Not Rotate During Focus
  • Availability: December 2015
  • Price: $350

News Shooter also recently posted an overview of the lens with Andrew from SLR Magic:

To get a sense of just how small the lens is, here's a look at it on the Sony a7S:

For $350, it's a pretty cheap way to get a solid budget cine lens. While it would be nice if SLR Magic had a whole set of E-Mount cine lenses (they have at least a 35mm), I would expect them to have a whole range of full-frame cine lenses with multiple mounts at some point in the future (though it's obviously slow going). The nice thing about super fast lenses like this is that you have the speed if you really need it, but it should have great performance stopped down a few stops, something that doesn't necessarily work with slower lenses that might be soft wide open.

The lens should be available next month, and you can pre-order over on the link below.

is it me or does it look very soft wide open?

November 19, 2015 at 3:49AM

Kelvin Nhantumbo
Director, Screenwriter

not just you, i was also noticing that too..

November 19, 2015 at 9:41AM, Edited November 19, 9:41AM

Asher Ohayon
Film Director / Cinematographer

At f1.1 just about ANY lens would be soft wide open. Some of the best are soft at 1.8, really.

November 19, 2015 at 4:23PM

Yeah, im currently using a Zeiss Loxia 35 f2 and i can tell its trying to be soft but sharp also haha so at 1.8 i can imagine..

November 20, 2015 at 6:38AM

Asher Ohayon
Film Director / Cinematographer

i own a 24-70 zeiss sony lens E mount. but besides that lens i don't know anybody besides myself that uses any E mount lenses.
I end up seeing everybody with Nikon G mounts and EF mounts.
rarely but sometimes PL too.

November 19, 2015 at 9:06AM, Edited November 19, 9:06AM

Kazu Okuda
Filmmaker

A big reason is Sony's focusing system. Because it's all electronic, there's no way to set focus markers or repeatably rack focus.

Only one of their lenses, as far as I know, gives you the option for a truly manual focus (the 28-135).

November 24, 2015 at 3:39PM

David S.

Could be good option for a "Nebula 4000" like stabilizer with the A7S since it weighs around 400g. Roughly 850g total.

November 19, 2015 at 2:30PM

Randy Lorenz
Assistant Camera / D.P.

I'd be interested in a whole set. The only downsides that I see are the softness and the plastic mount. My experience with the canon 50mm 1.8 ii has me weary of plastic mounts now. But at $350 it is worth keeping up with. We shall see.

November 19, 2015 at 3:05PM, Edited November 19, 3:10PM

Jerald Roberts II
Filmmaker

The fixation on extremely blurry backgrounds, where everything looks like it's been shot through a tank of Vaseline, is really starting to seem like a Youtube indy-film mannerism. So achingly "pretty" that it's almost kitsch now. It screams "Look! I've no money or a script, but I'm making a MOVIE!!!"

Take another look at any half-dozen of the best photographed films ever made. You won't see this effect used so excessively. If anything, deep-field is more valued for visual story-telling. No, you have to use this shallow DOF effect selectively...and for a good reason.

November 19, 2015 at 7:00PM

Heath Blair
Film maker and composer

Any/all 'effects' should be done rarely, to achieve a deliberate outcome. Shallow DOF is no different.
Since when is pretty a bad thing? Maybe I missed something.

November 20, 2015 at 7:27PM

Michael P Ellis
President, Result Films Inc

How would this compare to the already pretty cheap rokinon cine primes? I know it costs a bit more but i got my set of EF versions on those (16,24,35,50 and 85) and they are really great lenses. Currently using those on my a7sII but the adapter ring makes the package a bit bulky.

November 20, 2015 at 8:13AM, Edited November 20, 8:13AM