April 8, 2016

Check Out the Sexy Ad Oscar Winner Steve McQueen Shot for Burberry on 70mm Film

Oscar-winning Director Steve McQueen has only made three feature films. However, he has brought his incredible artistry to some 20 shorts, now including an intriguing ad for Burberry.

McQueen shot "Mr. Burberry" on 70mm film—the same kind of film you'd expect for an historical epic like Ben-Hur—which adds a strange sense of grandeur to the 3-minute commercial. It bears many of the trademarks you'd expect to see in a film by McQueen, like scenes flooded with cold blues and greens and brutally sexual subject matter.

Here are a couple of behind-the-scenes videos:

Big name Hollywood directors dipping their toes into commercial fare isn't anything new. Everyone from Martin Scorsese to Sofia Coppola to Baz Luhrmann have done so; Wes Anderson lent his talent to Prada for their 2013 campaign for Candy L’Eau, directing two "filmercials" staring Jason Schwartzman and Blue is the Warmest Color's Léa Seydoux.

The release of this project by McQueen, as well as others like the nine-minute music video for Kanye West's "All Day," surely will make the director's fans eager to see another one of his feature film projects come to life, especially since he hasn't directed one since the Oscar-winning 12 Years a Slave back in 2014.  Lucky for them, it was just announced today that McQueen will start production in September on Widows, a thriller based on a British series of the same name, which he co-wrote with Gillian Flynn of Gone Girl fame.

Really, Steve McQueen...? What's the point of this commercial?
There are a thousand videos like this on VIMEO...

April 8, 2016 at 5:39PM

Thales Banzai
Director; Screenwriter

I'd argue there's a lot of much much better videos on Vimeo.

April 10, 2016 at 7:43AM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

Beautiful people in beautiful clothes in beautiful locations, depicted in beautiful shots. It's a wonderful soulless world.

April 8, 2016 at 5:45PM, Edited April 8, 5:49PM

Stel Kouk
Filmmaker

but hold on - shot on 70mm film, adding so much more depth! I can see right into their souls.

April 8, 2016 at 10:30PM, Edited April 8, 10:56PM

Kristaps
Director of Photography

hahahahahaha You're awesome!

April 9, 2016 at 1:22AM

Awful cinematography - I mean, there was even a big shadow over the guy's penis.

April 8, 2016 at 6:11PM

Saied M.

so let me get this straight...if i spray that cologne on that will happen to me lol

April 8, 2016 at 7:01PM, Edited April 8, 7:01PM

hazem

Yes, you will shot in 70mm film

April 9, 2016 at 1:30PM

Andrea Cassina
Filmmaker

Really? Another quality article.

April 8, 2016 at 10:08PM, Edited April 8, 10:08PM

Jonathon Sendall
Stories

There's not a whole lot special about this, I was hoping to see something more from Steve McQueen.

April 9, 2016 at 12:25AM, Edited April 9, 12:25AM

Oliver Milne
Director/Cinematographer

Yes, Oliver, a fatter wallet. Helps you finance your development of other more worthy projects I guess.

April 9, 2016 at 1:16AM

Jonathon Sendall
Stories

Im glad we think alike on this one ollie.
there was nothing special about this commercial other then they decided to use a distorted wide angle for the roof shot.

April 9, 2016 at 11:37AM

So weird, this does not look like it was shot on 70mm at all other than the bokeh. Not sure if it was youtube's compression, but they could have shot this on alexa xt with vantage T1 lenses and probably gotten the same results. I'm a huge film fanatic, but this really doesn't scream film. I guess it screams "Sexy". Something I didn't know nofilmschool promotes. Click bait I guess

April 9, 2016 at 1:25AM, Edited April 9, 1:25AM

Yeah I would never have guessed this was film, it looks very digital.

April 9, 2016 at 2:15AM

David Sandberg
Director

Despite what they show (cutting film the old school way), I'm willing to bet the piece was digitally color timed.

April 10, 2016 at 7:51AM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

What puzzles me, is that this could very easily be the commercial of almost any high caliber company, even if it sells perfumes, clothes or jewellery. They only need to change the final logo and it's ready to promote another business, with another philosophy(theoritically). It could even promote a new camera, a hotel, uk tourism dpt etc.

There's a recurring theme in these commercials though. Showing rich people, living a life we small miserable ones can only dream of. There's no item to promote here. Just a way of life and being, that is unreachable to most of us. And a great director, loosing almost all his power, to show just that. Once again in a commercial, distant perfect made figures, living something we cannot be part of. Using film equipment we must be shown to figure out. I'm in desperate need of uniqueness. And a great director should have given me that.

April 9, 2016 at 8:28AM, Edited April 9, 8:30AM

Panos Economou
Director / Editor

Fuck. You're right.

April 9, 2016 at 10:06AM

Patrick Ortman
I tell stories. Sometimes for money. Sometimes, not.

"Showing rich people, living a life we small miserable ones can only dream of." But even that isn't true. Rich people don't live like that. So even that is fake...and pretty vacuous. In fact this is something akin to a nightmare dressed in nice clothes and continuous orgasms.

April 9, 2016 at 8:29PM

Jonathon Sendall
Stories

I for one don't want to live in that seven-stars VIP luxury world. It's fucking claustrophobic to my soul.

April 10, 2016 at 7:54AM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

Can't really add much to what's been said here. Agree with all the comments. Vapid, soulless and on a more tangible note, not even that beautiful. The 70mm film doesn't seem to help at all.

The best of these 'lifestyle-concept' commercials is Calvin Klein's 'Provocations' by Fabien Baron, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udk6uinLkIk

April 9, 2016 at 10:14AM, Edited April 9, 10:14AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

Boring

April 9, 2016 at 2:08PM, Edited April 9, 2:08PM

eric wadsworth
Director, Storyboard artist, VFX artist.

Looks like C300 footage. 70mm is the last thing that came to mind.

April 9, 2016 at 2:28PM

B.D. Sharples
Cinematographer and Director

Dope!! Gave me some ideas to build my own catalog!

April 9, 2016 at 2:59PM, Edited April 9, 2:59PM

Howard L Hughes
Content Creator

Sorry, but waaaayyy too long and way too self indulgent. it would have been way more powerful in 30 seconds

April 9, 2016 at 4:57PM

Steve chase
Director

"incredible artistry"? probably tap the brakes on that a little, I learned nothing from that video........a better title for this article would be "How hot Hollywood directors cash-in on their name while hoping nobody notices"....or...."Ad agency creatives and clients starfxxk Hollywood directors because their ideas suk" ;)

April 9, 2016 at 5:05PM, Edited April 9, 5:07PM

I would have guessed that this was a very solidly shot Canon C500 or BMCC spot, to tell you the truth. It has an flat feel to me that is usually indicative of a mid-range cameras. I never would have guessed that it was 70mm. Maybe if I saw it in a theater (with skittles, popcorn and THX). Look at Bruno Aveillan if you want feel the film make your soul melt (like the butter for the aforementioned popcorn). Nothing against the director or DP here (again, solid work), it just reaffirms that using big-ass film doesn't always guarantee soul wrenching cinema magic.

April 10, 2016 at 3:24AM, Edited April 10, 3:24AM

Scott Bryant
Creative Director

Piece of shit on 70mm is still piece of shit. It would change nothing, if it was shot on Alexa 65 or Red VistaVision.

April 10, 2016 at 7:42AM, Edited April 10, 7:42AM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

The aspect ratio might be cool but the couple had zero chemistry.

April 10, 2016 at 7:57PM, Edited April 10, 7:57PM

Anyone else think the Behind the Scenes video was better than the spot?

April 11, 2016 at 8:52PM

Matthew Macar
DP

This is not good. Too long. Zero chemistry actors. Big cameras, big lenses, film, etc. I could have shot this on the iPhone and get better shots. Less gadgetry and more story...uh wait...what story. Sex, going out, sex, going out...repeat. Oh I forgot...a couple of puffs of Burberry.

April 12, 2016 at 1:15PM

The music was more interesting than anything visual.

April 14, 2016 at 5:19PM, Edited April 14, 5:19PM