April 22, 2016
NAB 2016

Letus Makes Big Improvements to the 60lb Weight Capacity Double-Helix Gimbal

The Letus Double Helix has the ability to lock off the pan to enable fast whip pans, something most gimbals don't handle well.

An update from last year's announcement of the robust and versatile Double Helix gimbal. The Double Helix has a 1-axis configuration for shoulder mount or steadicam work, 2-axis or 3-axis for more standard gimbal operation or with a remote head.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor:

I got to play with this at NAB. It was way more comfortable than the ronin MX. I like the design and the handle grips were awesome! Great company with some really nice service reps.. The fast panning was insane!!!

April 22, 2016 at 4:00PM, Edited April 22, 4:00PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

The whip-pan feature is really great. Now there is a gimbal for fast paced action shooting.

April 22, 2016 at 8:59PM

You voted '-1'.
Quais Waseeq
Cinematographer

Why not just deactivate the panning stabilization on a three-axis gimbal?

May 13, 2016 at 8:49PM

David Gurney
DP
2034

I highly recommend trying any Helix stabilizers first before committing to it - trying as in rent/borrow one, and actually look at the footage. I owned a Helix, and it was a complete nightmare. One of the worst gimbals I have ever used in my life (and I have used them all).

April 23, 2016 at 1:56PM, Edited April 23, 1:58PM

Jason Han
Cinematographer

What issues did you have?

April 23, 2016 at 9:15PM, Edited April 23, 9:15PM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I'd also love to hear your experience. I love the Helix form factor and I'm seriously considering a Helix Jr. I've rented several gimbals in the past, but each model has a learning curve and takes a lot of practice to perfect - something I just haven't had time to do with a rental. I'm also wondering if the issues you were having have been fixed in a firmware upgrade?

April 23, 2016 at 11:58PM

Rich Brown
Director, Producer

When will designers learn not to put handles up by the camera? Handles go UNDER the camera, so you can use your body to help support the weight.

These rigs are impractical for anything but brief use, regardless of your strength. Holding dead weight out in front of you with your hands up by your head is a ridiculously bad mode of operation.

May 13, 2016 at 8:54PM