Panasonic Expands Its Line of Midrange 4K Cameras with New UX Series

Panasonic has announced two models of their new UX series of midrange 4K cameras, the AG-UX180 and AG-UX90.

As the successor to Panasonic's HD AVCCAM line, the UX series allows fans of midrange cameras the ability to capture 4K. The premium model AG-UX180 and the standard model AG-UX90 come with a host of features, however because both cameras are still under development, there isn't a ton of information out there about them quite yet. Here are a few features Panasonic have made available.

Features

AG-UX180

• 4K (4096x2160, 24p only), UHD (3840x2160) and FHD at up to 120p
  • 1-type MOS sensor
  • Optical 20x zoom
  • UHD 60p recording
  • SD memory card
  • Dual codec recording (UHD/FHD)
  • IR recording in low light
  • 3G SDI/HDMI2.0 output
Panasonic AG-UX180
Panasonic AG-UX180

AG-UX90

• 4K (4096x2160, 24p only), UHD (3840x2160) and FHD at up to 120p
  • 1-type MOS sensor
  • Optical 15x zoom
  • UHD 30p recording
  • SD memory card
Panasonic AG-UX90
Panasonic AG-UX90

According to Panasonic, variable frame rate recording (2-60 fps) will be made available in FHD mode before their release in Fall of this year. The price for the AG-UX180 and AG-UX90 are expected to be $4000 and $3000 respectively.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor:

I assume they all start wide end from 30mm. And that sucks big time for interior shots.

April 19, 2016 at 4:35AM

Where are you getting 30mm from? I can't find any mention of the lens specs.

April 19, 2016 at 7:31AM, Edited April 19, 7:31AM

Yes, pretty much all fixed lens ENG cameras have a zoom lens that starts roughly at the equivalent to a Full Frame 28mm lens.

I know for myself that I use the wide end of an ENG lens more than the long end, so I would love if these zooms would start at the equivalent to a FF 24mm lens.

April 19, 2016 at 11:47AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

These cameras have a 1 inch sensor which is a good compromise between size and performance. I expect they will be pretty good in low-light environments too.

April 19, 2016 at 11:49AM, Edited April 19, 11:49AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

I'm not sure I understand where these cameras fall in the Panasonic big picture...do they have smaller sensors and less features than the DVX200 but cost more? What did I miss? Do their lenses come off?

April 19, 2016 at 6:57PM, Edited April 19, 6:57PM

Really makes little sense what Panasonic has been doing the last decade. While their GH line of DSLR has been successful their production line of cameras has been lacking. 5 years ago they release the AG AF100 which was a good camera, but only given one update to 1080p. Then they go high end almost 10 years after RED with their re-imagined varicam. Now they are releasing two fixed lens 4K camera's that neither meet the specs for entry level cinema cameras or high end production/broadcast models. Meanwhile, some people sit waiting for a 4K uncompressed AG AF200 to be released as a midrange camera which could compete with the Sony FS series.

May 16, 2016 at 2:19PM