Reflecmedia's LiteRing is a Green Screen in the Palm of Your Hand

Reflecmedia showed us a neat little chromakey solution at NAB 2016 (and by little we mean you can hold it in the palm of your hand).

You'll of course need a backdrop too, but the reflective gray one they sell is a lot more flexible (and works in a variety of conditions). The LED ring itself is placed right around the front of your lens and shines either blue or green light towards your subject, reflecting off  gray fabric background called Chromatte (you'll have to buy that too). According to Reflecmedia the resulting key is clean and has a number of advantages compared to traditional green screening, which requires a more carefully conditioned surface and can result in spill on the subject. You can purchase the kit for $1900 and there are a whole lot of different bundles available as well.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor:

Yeah, this should be shipping now: I used this setup in 2009.
Apparently this solution is a bit unknown, but it isn't new at all.
Price seems a bit steep to me.

April 21, 2016 at 2:08PM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

surprised this hasn't been used more, I have 2 3 meter backgrounds i've been using for years

April 21, 2016 at 2:40PM

Lee MJ Daley
Animator / 3D & Motion designer / Lighting cameraman

It is not the magic solution for everything: if your subject is not close to the backdrop you'll get a 'halo', just like how ringlights create a halo of shadow.
Like is this image (I googled it):

April 21, 2016 at 3:13PM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Yeah, at the price, I'm fine setting up a steamed green fabric with a few softlights.

April 21, 2016 at 4:36PM

Andy Zou
Producer
Filmmaker / Creative Director

Wow, I'm surprised this product is still alive and kicking. I remember first seeing this way back around NAB 2001 (or somewhere near that time), and it seemed like a magical solution to bad green screen shoots. But as other posters have said, it's definitely not a substitute for proper greenscreen, and I'm not aware of anyone using it for serious VFX work.

April 21, 2016 at 4:45PM, Edited April 21, 4:45PM

Ya I was using these back in 2012. Works great when you are in a small area without room to light things well. Doesn't work if you need a teleprompter so that made things tricky. Also, we did full body stuff so we had to buy their special floor mats. Army boots on those mats tore them up pretty quick. https://vimeo.com/jasonallison/review/31826824/3e6cd06189

April 21, 2016 at 7:21PM

Jason Allison
DP, Editor

lol, every comment has been voted down.
Sensitive subject?