May 6, 2016

Paul Thomas Anderson Spirals Through the Feels in New Radiohead Music Video

The esteemed auteur and frequent Jonny Greenwood collaborator has directed a labyrinthian video for Radiohead's second single from their forthcoming album.

We've written a few pieces about how auteurs often get their start as music video directors, but Paul Thomas Anderson is one of the few directors for whom that truism seems to be reversed.

The much beloved filmmaker has already worked with Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood on the score of his films The Master, There Will Be Bloodand most recently Inherent Vice. In return, Anderson directed a film documenting Greenwood's latest album, Junun, which he recorded with Israeli composer Shye Ben Tzur in Rajasthan, India. It's great to see two artists coming together in collaborative mastery; the music video for "Daydreaming" is the epitome of their work together.

There are tons of great filmmaking tricks in here that disorient the viewer while simultaneously managing to lull them into, well, a daydream-like trance.

Radiohead's ninth album and follow-up to The King of Limbs will be released this Sunday at 2 PM, and if it's anything half as beautiful as this video, there's reason to be excited.

this is amazing. anyone know if it was shot on film?

May 6, 2016 at 12:22PM

Rog

Looks like Film, it has that distinct look

May 6, 2016 at 11:58PM

Matt Nunn
Amateur

It's PTA you better be damn sure it's celluloid.

May 7, 2016 at 8:53AM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

May 8, 2016 at 3:49AM

Max Ciesynski
Gaffer

It's 35mm celluloid film

May 8, 2016 at 9:39PM, Edited May 8, 9:39PM

Artifacts in the night ext make me presume digital. Could be a combo. Hell of a steadicam op.

May 6, 2016 at 1:08PM, Edited May 6, 1:08PM

At first I thought it was Alexa and most of the time it's hard to tell the difference with a good colorist BUT then I noticed upon further inspection the dust and scratches subtly throughout which you can miss as well as the grain texture. PTA only shoots on film I'm pretty sure and the artifacts are most likely from youtube compression. Looks like Kodak 5219 to me. Look at the similarities right out of camera. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5CkXgcafB0

May 7, 2016 at 4:22AM

Brad Watts
Filmmaker/Creative Director - Redd Pen Media

Great editing!

May 6, 2016 at 4:44PM, Edited May 6, 4:44PM

Nick Rowland
Street Bum

love this video - love PTA - always so creative and natural and beautiful.

May 6, 2016 at 4:53PM

Ed David
Director of Photography

So great. Things like this are so inspiring.

May 6, 2016 at 5:46PM, Edited May 6, 5:46PM

Liam Martin
DP, editor, part time director

35mm film holds overexposure very well, as sweet as possible.

Other than that - OH WOW IT'S FUCKING NOTHING

May 7, 2016 at 8:52AM, Edited May 7, 8:52AM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

Yea... I guess I'm not with it anymore, modern culture and all.
Like so many things I see these days... I don't get it.
Nice song but, nothing here except really good steady cam work.

There seems to be this notion of "mediocrity is king' in popular culture these days.
A movement toward dumbing down the aesthetic so, it seems like anyone can do it.

Like the Apple iPhone billboard ads I see everywhere.
Mediocre pictures that look like anyone could have shot them.
If the picture looked like a professional shot it, no one would identify with it.
No one would go, "Wow! If I had an iPhone, I could make pictures worthy of being on a billboard".
Modern advertising has dumbed down it's visual aesthetic so as to not alienate the viewer.

It's kind of like the modern concept of constructing a false perception of life for young people so that every kid feels like a winner. A world with no losers.
Wouldn't that be wonderful... a world with no losers? No, if there were no losers, there would be no winners.

Just like this video... no winner.
From 1 to 10, I'd rate this video a 4 but, I'll give it a 5 for the camera work.

May 7, 2016 at 11:53AM, Edited May 7, 12:02PM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

PTA was kinda hoping for a solid 6 there, but I guess he'll take what he can at this point in his career.

May 7, 2016 at 6:08PM

Gleb Volkov
Director of Photography

I wholeheartedly agree. I can't understand the hype about it either.

May 8, 2016 at 8:25PM

Mida Chu
independent filmmaker

@ Mida - Finally, someone with a clue.

May 9, 2016 at 9:31AM, Edited May 9, 9:31AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

I mean, what's the concept here?
He walks through a bunch of houses which, I bet at least one or two of them has a fireplace. Leaves all of them to trudge up a cold as shit, snow covered mountain to get in a hole with a fire in it.
I would have stopped in one of those houses.

May 7, 2016 at 12:08PM, Edited May 7, 12:08PM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

This is stunning piece of filmmaking and music video work. Imagery, movement and music perfect match and wonderful interpretation of dream-logic and feeling. PTS really knows what he's doing and it's on full display here.

May 7, 2016 at 12:33PM, Edited May 7, 12:33PM

Stephen A van Vuuren
Filmmaker

Wonderful

May 8, 2016 at 2:53AM

Sameir Ali
Director of Photography

I'm surprised a lot of people are not getting this video or at least trying to. It doesn't hold your hand, but there is so much intent in every image. So much depth. I don't have the answers myself, is he seeing life pass before his eyes, is he reliving all the different paths he could have taken in life or perhaps all the moments he never paused to live in while persuing his daydreams? That first image of him and the others walking through the tunnel says so much if you can find meaning in it. This isn't just beautiful but gives me a lot to mentally chew on and question. 10/10

May 9, 2016 at 3:59PM