August 23, 2016

Edelkrone Releases a New Wave of Cinematic Motion with Wing

Fancy camera moves, no rails included.

Back at NAB 2014, Edelkrone hit the scene with the debut of Wing, a camera motion tool that gives filmmakers an alternative to a rail system. Today, the company has finally released the product, with a ship date of September 26.

Simple and compact, the Wing is an arm made from CNC-machined aluminum that allows you to slide your camera back and forth in a straight line, as you would with any slider. As Wing moves, so does the camera, which can be adjusted on the rig as well. The unit features a friction adjustment system and safety lock so you can adjust its drag as needed or hold the desired angle.

One potential drawback is the 16” (40cm) of total range. While that might not seem like much, this fresh take on a "slider" can fit in your backpack. The Wing does come standard with multiple mounting options for tripod use—or, better yet, a longer slider. A 3/8”-16 mounting port is located on the bottom and a male 1/4”-20 on the top. Edelkrone has also included a mounting adapter and reducer in the box. The current retail price is $250.

Features

• Size: 5.7 x 1.7 x 2.6” (147 x 45 x 66mm)
  • Weight: 1.2lb
  • Carrying capacity: 3.3lb
  • Camera travel: 16” (40cm)

Video is very misleading, I would want to see it moving with someone using it to see how smooth it is then. Not some computer generated model doing it. Small text in the upper right saying "not motorized"...pass. Put a remote gear system in it, and maybe ya.

August 23, 2016 at 6:50PM, Edited August 23, 6:50PM

Shaun Ryan
Director

Weird that they'd bother with animation, i'd prefer to see it in real time too - but I also like the idea of it not requiring batteries (ie. not motorised) it looks pretty compact too... depends on your style of work I suppose. Good on 'em for thinking laterally...

August 23, 2016 at 7:10PM

Matty Hannon
Documentary filmmaker

You could watch the 2014 NAB video -- it shows "someone using it." Cued for you: https://youtu.be/yNaYkqz24Rg?t=33s Keep in mind this was their prototype at the time. Not their shipping model. And if you're looking for a "remote gear system" you can look at redrockmicro's "One Man Crew Director." http://store.redrockmicro.com/OneManCrew.html Have others in mind depending on your budget.

Hope that helps.

August 23, 2016 at 7:17PM

Daron James
Writer

Honestly motorized slider are not a panacea, it useful in certain situations but for everyday stuff a good fluid slider will make as good results in much less time and trouble.

August 24, 2016 at 5:29AM, Edited August 24, 5:29AM

AvdS

Love it! I hate sliders but love their shots. With longer and longer arms, longer and longer shots! Looking forward to this coming out.

August 23, 2016 at 7:10PM

Sathya Vijayendran
Writer/Director/Editor

It looks very interesting to me, I want an independent review to see if it works flawlessly :-)
I like to have the slider plus all the time between my tripod and my fluid head. If it is able to give similar results for less size and weight, I'm in, and the price it totally decent. I wonder if and how I could make it work in addition with a fluid head and what's the weight limit.

August 24, 2016 at 5:27AM

AvdS

say what you want about edelkrone, they always come up with pretty unique contraptions!

wonder if this can handle heavier cameras

August 25, 2016 at 1:32AM

Van,

This version of the Wing can hold up to 3.3lbs. So the Canon C 300 at 3.2lbs might be pushing it when you add battery and lenses. Red Epic at 5.5lbs. Alexa Mini 5lbs.

It seems like it's built for smaller DSLRs and Blackmagic cameras, etc.

Hope that helps.