You’ve got the perfect short film script. You just need money and a crew. Well, how about $20,000, for starters, and some professional gear and mentorship?
In an industry that has only a few opportunities for short films, you shouldn't pass this one up. Stage 32 has partnered with St. Petersburg/Clearwater Film Commission for the first annual Stage 32 Short Film Script Contest, which aims to fund and fly a production to St. Petersburg, Florida to shoot.
In addition to the $20K in hard cash, Stage 32 will fly the winning writer and director to Florida to film with all production logistics provided, including gear (Digital Caviar), mentorship (writer/director JT Mollner), a Movie Magic Bundle (budgeting and scheduling) from Entertainment Partners, and a Z-Finder provided by Zacuto.
So, what exactly are they looking for in a short script? Here’s the call to action from Stage 32:
"Put your writer's cap on and write an original 7-10 page short script that can be readily filmed in St. Petersburg or Clearwater blockbuster locations. Settings can include the picturesque beaches to the tropical landscapes – wherever your imagination takes you in paradise. And don’t forget to be creative, any genre is acceptable! If you already have a written short script, you can still submit – just switch out your locations to be specifically set in St. Petersburg or Clearwater."
Here is St. Petersburg/Clearwater Film Commissioner Tony Armer giving a good pitch for why you should come and shoot there:
The submission fee is $40 and the final deadline is November 15.
To recap, here’s what Stage 32 is offering for first prize:
- The winner and director will be flown out to St. Petersburg/Clearwater, Florida to film the winning short script, where the likes of Hollywood films such as Tim Burton’s Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, Spring Breakers, Dolphin Tale and Magic Mike were filmed
- Production will be mentored by award award-winning director/writer JT Mollner
- The winner will receive a Movie Magic Bundle (Scheduling & Budgeting) from Entertainment Partners
- Zacuto will prize the winner with a Z-Finder
- All production will be professionally managed by Tampa Bay based production company Digital Caviar. Here's a short reel of the production work by Digital Caviar:
If this sounds like what you need—and you’ve got a great script that you think could take the prize—read the rest of the details on submitting at Stage 32 here. Good luck!