Rumors have been circulating about Sony's new inexpensive servo style zoom lens, but now they can be put to bed.
A couple of hours ago, Sony introduced the 18-110mm F4 OSS PZ E-mount lens at IBC. It's a Super 35mm/APS-C format power zoom that extends from a 18mm wide angle to a 110mm telephoto, which may be ideal for filmmakers shooting in run-and-gun scenarios, especially considering the fact that it is lightweight and compact.
According to Sony's press release, this lens is made up of "18 elements in 15 groups, including 6 aspherical elements and 3 extra low dispersion glass elements and features a 7 blade circular aperture design." Sony's Smooth Motion Optics (SMO) design is credited for providing the lens with extremely high image quality fit for 4K cinema, where focus breathing, focus shift, and axial shift are minimized. It features three separate rings to adjust focus, zoom and aperture—the zoom ring direction is also switchable for those with different preferences.
- E PZ 18-110mm F4 G OSS (SELP18110G) with 6.1x high zoom ratio
- High resolution suited to professional 4K movie production
- Smooth Motion Optics (SMO) design and construction to minimize unwanted focus and image shifts while focusing or zooming
- Advanced operability including three separate focus, iris and zoom rings for professional operation
- Optical SteadyShot™ in-lens image stabilization
- Compact, lightweight design with dust and moisture resistance
The 18-110mm F4 OSS PZ lens will be available in November 2016, and is priced at about $3,500.