Michael Moore's 'Huge' Surprise: Secret Doc About Trump Opening Today for Free

Michael Moore in Trumpland premieres today for free at IFC Center in New York City.

Someone had to do it. And in an election season which seems to focus little on qualifications, no one is more qualified than Michael Moore to capture the political circus that has gripped America this year.

Last night on Twitter, Moore announced that his surprise new documentary, Michael Moore in Trumpland, will premiere free at New York City's IFC Center tonight. Moore himself will attend the 9:30PM "sneak preview" screening of the film, which Ohio Republicans tried to shut down, according to the synopsis.

The film will begin its theatrical run on October 19, but official details on its release have yet to be revealed.

You Might Also Like

Please... no politics!

October 18, 2016 at 10:39AM

First V Renee's anti-Trump article veiled as a collection of "Dany Elfman Supercuts" and now this? WTF is going on NFS? I want articles about bettering my filmmaking not your political opinion/propaganda. Can we get rid of these articles please and see less of them in future?

October 18, 2016 at 11:07AM, Edited October 18, 11:08AM

Jerald Roberts II
Filmmaker

I think it's a really interesting story in terms of release. Totally worthwhile and I think NFS not doing an article on one of the most controversial documentary filmmakers doing a surprise release would be weird.

October 18, 2016 at 11:32AM

Brendon Rathbone
Colorist

No, I'm sorry, if the author made commentary on how timing your release window can affect your box office, then yes, this would be a valid post.

But it's just a commercial for an anti-Trump doc and the author even begins her post with "someone had to do it" (ie make a film against Trump).

Please, please NoFilmSchool, get out of politics. Not the proper forum.

October 18, 2016 at 12:15PM

Brian Mills
Producer

I understand your point. Thanks (no sarcasm). But the beginning of her post seemed to point at the political circus that is this election cycle.

And I don't think filmmakers or film publications should ever shy away from any topic because it's not the proper forum. If a film is being made about something, (which could be anything), it's open grounds for discussion. Film is not separate from what's happening in reality.

October 18, 2016 at 12:19PM

Ian Park
Documentary Editor / Director

I agree, that's a fair point that films aren't released in a vacuum as to the world around them.

And it's ok to discuss films that take a political stance in order to analyze the merits of their positions (and its ok to disagree about those merits too!).

I just get a little wary when I see two posts, just 2 days apart, that basically say "here is a cool anti-Trump video" without offering any insight about what is noteworthy about said video, other than the fact that it is anti-Trump.

My fear is that when nothing is offered for the forum to discuss about the craft of the filmmaking in question, we have nothing to discuss but devolve into flame-war arguments pro or against the candidates in question.

As for the Michael Moore film, I really want to see it. I love his documentaries, even when I don't always agree with every stance they take, because I appreciate his craft.

October 18, 2016 at 8:00PM

Brian Mills
Producer

Though I do agree with OP's original post about V Renee's Trump post. V Renee's posts are usually awesome, but that one veered towards propaganda and tried to mask it with some pseudo-film talk about Danny Elfman. And honestly, that debate score could've been written by a college kid using stock samples, and the video was poorly edited and really lame. Let's be honest.

It's too bad the post with real reporting potential (this one) just completely dropped the ball.

October 18, 2016 at 12:24PM, Edited October 18, 12:25PM

Ian Park
Documentary Editor / Director

Brendon and Ian, I see your point. My initial reaction was, "Okay, here we go again with this political junk," but having re-read the article it's not as bad as I thought. And I agree, them not reporting on Moore's surprise release would be silly. Good points all around.

October 18, 2016 at 12:45PM, Edited October 18, 12:45PM

Jerald Roberts II
Filmmaker

You can't shelter yourself from the world, just because you are a filmmaker.

October 18, 2016 at 12:48PM, Edited October 18, 12:48PM

Politics effects everyone. Not engaging in politics is a political act. NFS is a US run site, and the US is currently undergoing a particularly bizarre moment in its history. To ignore this piece of news would be a stronger statement than to cover it.

October 19, 2016 at 4:10AM

Liam Martin
DP, editor, part time director

Not bringing politics into discussion anytime, anywhere doesn't mean that you're hiding from the world. Although hiding from time to time has its merits in preserving your objectivity and sanity.

October 21, 2016 at 6:04AM

Robertt

Please post it online MM

October 18, 2016 at 12:00PM

You voted '+1'.

This is completely within the realm of NFS to be covering, though I wish there was more reporting that went into it, or at least commentary about the release method, documentaries, or whatever else this could have been related to.

What's with all this fear around something relating to politics? Just because come commenters can't keep things civil or stay on topic doesn't mean NFS should stop doing their work. Jesus.

October 18, 2016 at 12:15PM

Ian Park
Documentary Editor / Director

I think this is all there is to know at the moment.
Hopefully more useful data will be available in a few weeks :-)

October 18, 2016 at 3:39PM, Edited October 18, 3:39PM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Cool way to 'drop' a film.
When Beyoncé drops an album out of the blue it works out great for her.
Let's see what happens when indeed one of the most controvercial documentary makers suddenly releases a film with a sharp timing just before one of the most controversial elections in ages.
No what your political opinion is: this is an interesting experiment when it comes to releasing a movie.
And not reporting on this would be a strange thing for NFS.

October 18, 2016 at 3:34PM, Edited October 18, 3:34PM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Where can I see the documentary?

October 20, 2016 at 1:06AM

I guess my real problem with the story is the factual inaccuracy. It states that Michael Moore is "qualified" to create a documentary. Based on his previous work, he is probably the least qualified human on the planet to present "facts" about "events" or "people" or "truth". The term "documentary" is insulted by his involvement.

October 20, 2016 at 11:18AM

Where does it say documentaries can only present facts?

October 22, 2016 at 4:57PM

John Morse
Producer + Director

You know I just happened to browse these comments and am struck by how many posts there are complaining that NFS would actually post an article about a surprise screening by one of the more intellectually challenging documentary film makers of our time and his new film about one of the most controversial political figures in the last 100 years. Maybe a lot of you people are just content to read articles about expensive looking DIY motion backgrounds using a flashlight and bong water, or watching another 50 title sequence in 50 seconds mash up, I agree with another post on here, NFS would be irresponsible if they didn't mention Moore's new film. "Oh no not a political doc", what is that other than a fear of being confronted with uncomfortable truths. Maybe you're all in the wrong line of work if being challenged to consider what is wrong with a large percentage of our society, that draws so many to blindly pledge their devotion to an individual steeped in bigotry, racism, misogyny, and narcissism. Why are so many of you shying away from confronting those difficult truths? Or maybe you All need that false equivalency to feel safe and can't stand opinionated film making. Whatever your need to be shielded, you all must create some very boring art.

October 21, 2016 at 12:00PM, Edited October 21, 12:00PM

Damn thats a lot of truth, well put

November 15, 2016 at 3:37PM, Edited November 15, 3:37PM