You don't know you need them until you do.
You're about to head out to your shooting location, but before you do, you check your camera bag to make sure you've got everything you need. Camera? Check. Lenses? Check. Memory card, batteries, cables, tape? Check! Sweet, you're ready to go, right? Maybe not. There are a bunch of other random supplies that may not seem useful on a film set at first glance, but end up being total life savers when you're in a pinch, and David Bergman of Adorama shares 15 of these essentials in the video below.
If you're an experienced filmmaker you might have your own list of weird supplies that you keep in your camera bag, but if you're just starting out, Bergman's list is a great place to start.
- Ear plugs: In case you're in a noisy area, like a concert or construction site.
- Small screwdriver: These come in handy when you need to make some adjustments to small screws, like the ones on your lenses.
- Sharpie: You will always need a marker in life.
- Blower: Dust and dirt want to mess up your lenses. Don't let them.
- Cleaning cloth: Again, dust and dirt.
- Bungee cord: Great for tons of things, like hanging your gear up.
- Small flashlight: These come in handy when you need to see in the dark, as well as when you need a little more light on a subject.
- Small sandwich bag/large garbage bag: Rain and water destroys our most precious gear. Store your camera/lenses in these.
- Business cards: Just in case Darren Aronofsky or Mila Kunis shows up on set.
- Phone charger: Because we're all addicted to our phones.
- Extra batteries: AAAs, AAs, whatever. Just keep some on hand.
- Extra memory cards: This is a no-brainer...for most.
- First aid supplies: Especially for the accident prone.
- Breath mints: Again, just in case Darren Aronofsky or Mila Kunis shows up.
- Cash: You'll never know when you're going to need cash money.
What are some random things you keep in your camera bag? Personally, I always keep a lighter, rubber bands, and a granola bar or two in there just in case. Let us know in the comments below!