'Lion,' 'Mr. Robot,' and 'Game of Thrones' Among Winners of 2017 ASC Awards
With films like Lion, Moonlight, and Arrival, this year has been an outstanding year in cinematography.
Yesterday, the American Society of Cinematographers held the 31st Annual ASC Awards to highlight the work of DPs in film and commercial and non-commercial television.
DP Greig Fraser took home the prize for his work on Lion, for which he has also been nominated for an Oscar. However, Fraser has quite an impressive body of work, including Zero Dark Thirty, Killing Them Softly, and Foxcatcher.
Perhaps the most exciting DP to win in one of the TV categories, though, was Tod Campbell for his work on Mr. Robot. Campbell, who also worked on Stranger Things, as well as Richard Linklater's 12-year epic Boyhood, has been generating quite a lot of buzz for his work on the show, namely for his unusual approach to composition and framing.
Check out the full list of winners below:
- Greig Fraser, ASC, ACS, Lion [WINNER]
- James Laxton, Moonlight
- Rodrigo Prieto, ASC, AMC, Silence
- Linus Sandgren, FSF, La La Land
- Bradford Young, ASC, Arrival
Television Movie, Miniseries or Pilot
- Balazs Bolygo, HSC, BSC, for Harley and the Davidsons - “Amazing Machine”
- Paul Cameron, ASC for Westworld - “The Original”
- Jim Denault, ASC for All The Way
- Alex Disenhof for The Exorcist - “Chapter One: And Let My Cry Come Unto Thee”
- Igor Martinovic for The Night Of - “Subtle Beast” [WINNER]
Regular Series for Non-Commercial Television
- John Conroy for Penny Dreadful - “The Day Tennyson Died”
- David M. Dunlap for House of Cards - “Chapter 45”
- Anette Haellmigk for Game of Thrones - “Book of the Stranger”
- Neville Kidd for Outlander - “Prestonpans”
- Fabian Wagner, BSC for Game of Thrones - “Battle of the Bastards” [WINNER]
Regular Series for Commercial Television
- Tod Campbell for Mr. Robot - “eps2.0_unm4sk-pt1.tc” [WINNER]
- John Grillo for Preacher - “Finish the Song”
- Kevin McKnight for Underground - “The Macon 7”
- Christopher Norr for Gotham - “Wrath of the Villains: Mr. Freeze”
- Richard Rutkowski for Manhattan - “Jupiter”
- Lol Crawley, BSC for Childhood Of A Leader
- Gorka Gomez Andreu, AEC for House Of Others [WINNER]
- Ernesto Pardo for Tempestad
- Juliette van Dormael for My Angel