Cannes Directors' Fortnight Features 'Patti Cake$,' 'Bushwick,' and 'The Florida Project'
The 49th edition of the Directors' Fortnight includes 19 feature films, including five from first-time directors, as well as 10 short films.
Today, the Cannes Film Festival unveiled its lineup for the 49th edition of the Directors' Fortnight, which will run concurrently with the official selections of the 70th Cannes Film Festival. Sundance breakout and festival darling Patti Cake$, a comedy about a young woman from the hard-hit suburbs of New Jersey striving for glory in the rap world, will have its international debut as the closing film of the Directors' Fortnight.
Another Sundance standout, Bushwick, which we featured in a recent podcast, is also heading to Cannes for the Directors' Fortnight. The Florida Project, Sean Baker's highly anticipated follow-up to his Sundance iPhone-shot Tangerine, was also selected for this prestigious Cannes sidebar.
In addition to Patti Cake$, four more feature films are from first-time directors: Rungano Nyoni's I Am Not a Witch, Sonia Krunland's Nothingwood, Natalia Santa's La Defensa del Dragon, and Roberto de Paolis' Cuori Puri. Each of these films is eligible to compete for the Camera d'Or.
Here's the complete list of films screening at the Directors' Fortnight of the 2017 Cannes Film Festival:
- Un Beau Soleil Interieur, dir. Claire Denis (opening night film)
- A Ciambra, dir. Jonas Carpignano
- Alive in France, dir. Abel Ferrara
- L’Amant D’Un Jour, dir. Philippe Garrel
- Bushwick, dir. Cary Murnion & Jonathan Milott
- Cuori Puri, dir. Roberto De Paolis
- The Florida Project, dir. Sean Baker
- Frost, dir. Sharunas Bartas
- I Am Not A Witch, dir. Rungano Nyoni
- Jeannette, L’Enfance De Jeanne D’Arc, dir Bruno Dumont
- L’Intrusa, dir. Leonardo Di Costanzo
- La Defensa Del Dragon, dir Natalia Santa
- Marlina Si Pembunuh Dalam Empat Babak, dir. Mouly Surya
- Mobile Homes, dir. Vladimir de Fontenay
- Nothingwood, dir. Sonia Kronlund
- Otez-Moi D’Un Doute, dir. Carine Tardieu
- The Rider, dir. Chloe Zhao
- West of the Jordan River (Field Diary Revisted), dir Amos Gitai
- Patti Cake$, dir. Geremy Jasper (closing night film)
- Aua Mole, dir. Laura Goncalves & Alexandra Ramires
- La Bouche, dir. Camilo Restrepo
- Copa-Loca, dir. Christus Massalas
- Creme De Menthe, dir. David Philippe Gagne & Jean-Marc E. Roy
- Farpoes, Baliios, dir. Marta Mateus
- Min Bord, dir. Niki Lindroth von Bahr
- Nada, dir. Gabriel Martins
- Retour A Genoa City, dir. Benoit Grimalt
- Tijuana Tales, dir. Jean-Charles Hue
- Tresnje (Cherries), dir Dubravka Turic