Zeiss Announces the Third Generation of Compact Primes, the All New CP.3s
Zeiss's popular Compact Primes receive the 2017 update.
The newest iteration of the Zeiss Compact Primes are smaller, more compact, and designed with a 95mm front diameter (vs 114 previously) to fit a wide variety of lower and midrange accessories. Here are some specs:
- Consistent focus torque
- Meta-data enabled
- XD (Zeiss extended data), including lens profiles
- Interchangeable lens mount
- Standard versions: 21mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm shipping in June
- Other 5 Standard lenses: 15mm through 135mm, shipping July-October
- Zeiss XD versions ships 9 lenses starting in September
- Price ranges from ~$4,300-$6,500 per lens
Using the Cooke-i protocol, the CP.3 line also includes options for metadata enabled lenses to capture metadata such as manufacturer, focal length, focus distance and T-stop. In addition, the XD versions of the lenses will start recording "lens profiles" that can help correct lens vignetting and distortion optically.
More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor: