Danish company Paralenz aims at GoPro's turf with the world's first action camera designed for deep diving, no case required.
The waterproof nature on the GoPro Hero5 action camera has opened up a whole new world of underwater cinematography for many filmmakers, but it requires additional materials, including a waterproof case and red lenses to correct for color casts as you go deeper.
Enter the Paralenz, from Denmark, which works straight out of the box.
The new diving action camera is designed to work up to 200m underwater without additional casing or lenses, besting the 10 meters you get from a naked Hero5 or the 60 meters you get in its case. On top of that, the Paralenz has a native depth sensor to detect how deep underwater you've gone and to compensate for the changing color cast of your imagery.
The buttons on the camera are magnetic to preserve the waterproof seal and provide vibration feedback strong enough to be felt through your gloves. This provides tactile knowledge that your input has affected the camera.
The camera shoots up to 4K at 30fps, and can shoot 200fps at 720p resolution for underwater slow motion. The camera can work as a dive computer, charting your depth and activity while underwater and displaying it on an app or on screen in your video. There is also an optional flotation device that can be tethered or mounted on a pole to provide a third-person view during your dive.
The Paralenz is available for purchase at price point of $599.
- Waterproof to 200 M/656 FT/21 ATM
- Video resolution: 4k-30 fps / 1080p-100 fps / 720p-200 fps
- DCC (Depth Color Correction) can be turned on/off
- LiPo Battery – 1600 mAh / 2+ hours recording (1080p – 30 fps)
- Viewing / Sharing / Settings via app (iOS, Android)
- Usable with Gloves
- 140° degrees of lens distortion correction
- 155 g (5.5 oz)
- 116 x 35 x 38 mm (4.5 x 1.4 x 1.5”)
- Military grade aluminum & polycarbonate housing
- MOV – H.264 codec video
- Internal microphone for audio
- USB-C (for fast charging)
- 64 GB micro SD-card (U3 or V30) (not included)
- Mask mount included & universal mount included
- Can overlay dive log on video
- WiFi, Bluetooth & USB
- 0.5” OLED
- -20°C to 85°C / -4°F to 185°F / EVA padding (minimizing battery discharge in cold water)
- Pressure / Temperature Sensors