November 25, 2017

Watch: Essential Advice for First-Time Filmmakers

Half of the battle of being a filmmaker is knowing how to take your first step.

Being a filmmaker is a lifelong journey that is full of excitement and frustrations, and if you have yet to embark on yours, it can be tricky knowing where to start. What do you need to know about the craft and the industry? What are the first steps you need to take and what kinds of challenges are you going to face once you make them? Well, to give you a better idea of what you're in for, director Rubidium Wu answers many of these questions in the video below. Check it out!

"It's nice to have creative control, it's nice to be in charge, but that comes with this huge weight of responsibility."

Every filmmaker's journey is going to look different. Some go to film school, some don't. Some have friends in the industry who get them meetings, some have to claw their way onto sets. Regardless of where or who you are or what assets you do or don't have, Wu's advice will definitely help you. Here are a few takeaways from the video:

• Find a mentor
  • Understand how much work actually goes into it
  • Make a small film
  • Get feedback and be open to it
  • Put your work online

One thing I particularly liked in the video was when Wu says that new filmmakers should not only put some part of themselves into their work, but they should get something out of it, too. This is so important if you want to protect your passion for filmmaking, because if you're not putting your heart, your ideas, or some piece of yourself into your films, you may not have much of a personal connection to it. If you don't get anything out of making your films, whether it's a sense of accomplishment, pride, or wisdom, then you might quickly run out of steam for the next project.

What are some pieces of advice you'd share with a newcomer about starting a career in filmmaking? Let us know down in the comments.

Great advice.
Thanks.

November 27, 2017 at 2:55AM

Sameir Ali
Director of Photography

As I have visited this https://setclockwindows.com/ text file and grabbed information no doubt all are advantageous and useful information as i have used them. I asked you to visit this site for once.

January 20, 2018 at 3:14AM

This is truly an incredible article an aspiring filmmaker should be reading. I am sure that after reading this article, most common doubts they may be having will be clarified and will have a clarity to their future plans.
private washington dc tours

March 6, 2018 at 12:35AM

I usually never use makeup. I occasionally use eyeliner and mascara. I think I have decent skin (No acne, small every now and then) My skin is somewhat a combo not too dry or oily.I have a light brown skin complexion. http://promoforsales.com
Kind of like Frieda Pinto (google her if you don't know who she is) I have no idea what primer, foundation, and powder is used for. I kind of know about concealer. What I really want to know is what I should use? Any suggestions on products that work best?

April 18, 2018 at 6:41AM

It's fascinating to see all these different filmmakers, with their own unique styles and varying genres of choice, giving advices and perspectives that all add up to the similar themes and ideas. It just goes to show that the best of filmmakers are driven by the same passions and ideals.
Regards:
sophia grace
Custom Logo Design

April 26, 2018 at 2:07AM

sophiagrace
Designer

It is really very nice and amazing to play free if you want to play free sudoku click on our site https://sudokuonlineplay.net/ and play without register and download.

June 16, 2018 at 3:03AM

It's intriguing to see all these distinctive movie producers, with their own one of kind styles and fluctuating sorts of the decision, giving advice and points of view that all indicate the comparison subjects and thoughts. It just demonstrates that the best of movie producers are driven by similar interests and standards.
Business Logo Designing Service