December 12, 2017

Apple Announces Launch Date For iMac Pro

Just in time for the holidays, Apple has announced a ship date for the hotly anticipated iMac Pro.

Apple only promised two more products for 2017: the iMac Pro and the HomePod. While the company pushed back the HomePod release to 2018, there was no news on the iMac front, and we were starting to get worried we wouldn't see the device anytime soon.

Apple today announced not only a launch date, but one that comes really soon: this Thursday, December 14.

Credit: Apple

The iMac Pro was originally announced at WWDC back in June, with a starting price of $4999. While that price is, indeed, pretty steep, it's important to remember that this unit is specifically targeted at working professionals.

If you bill by the hour but waste hours of your life waiting on renders, it saves to buy a more powerful machine once factoring in the hours you get back from faster renders and overall workflow speed.

The iMac Pro is also the first Mac to fully support VR. While VR has been "the next big thing" for awhile now (it hasn't quite had the cultural impact many were hoping for), its appearance on the Mac platform certainly boosts its status.

Early units have made their way into the hands of Vince LaForet, Marques Brownlee, and Mike Seymour, all of whom seem pretty happy with the improved offerings. One frustration, however, comes from Apple continuing to stick with AMD graphics rather than NVIDIA; for pro video applications, NVIDIA is still the king, and is one of the reasons why a 2013 Macbook Pro (with its Nvidia GeForce GT750M discrete graphics) still beats the brand new 2017 Macbook Pro.

However, we're four years into an all AMD Apple, and software developers have taken note, working hard to make themselves graphics card-agonistic, with developer reports saying they can get equal performance from either graphics vendor when the specs are equal.

While we're the first to acknowledge that the new Macbook Pro was a miss for filmmakers, we can't help but be a bit excited by the prospect of the iMac Pro.

While we're the first to acknowledge that the new Macbook Pro was a miss for filmmakers, we can't help but be a bit excited by the prospect of the iMac Pro. The mix of ports (between T3 and classic USB) is the perfect blend of present and future. Even better, these T3 ports are vertical, which should make it easier to put wide plugs into ports right next to each other. 10GB ethernet is something posties have been dreaming about for years.

Credit: Apple

In terms of pure horsepower, 128GB of Ram, 10 cores, and a 16GB graphics card will please demanding pro users, making their lives easier throughout the pipeline. While some might be tempted to wait on the full sized Pro towers announced for 2018, the iMac form factor has always been attractive for its ease of setup, and it occasionally even shows up on set because it packs pretty quickly back into its box.

Available this coming Thursday.

not a chance in hell ...

December 12, 2017 at 1:32PM

stephen knifton
owner / creative director

A few have tried to build the equivalent in a PC and the iMac Pro is actually cheaper for what you get.

December 12, 2017 at 3:20PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

I'm replying to you from my custom pc with 16 cores that cost around $4k. I definitely disagree with that. The equivalent PC is wayyyy less cost wise. That being said a mac is a different beast, different OS of course.

December 12, 2017 at 3:59PM, Edited December 12, 3:59PM

Raphael Rogers
Director

It won't let me reply to you but your parts are likley dated compared to whats in the new iMac Pro. Your cores aren't the only spec to be compared. I'm also guessing you don't have a 5k screen or a support staff available to you.

December 12, 2017 at 5:07PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

Yeah, I was gonna ask if he had a top-of-the-line 5K screen to go with that PC...

December 12, 2017 at 7:08PM

Daniel King
Videographer, Editor

A top of the line 5k screen so small that even when you lean across the desk over the keyboard and squint you can't take advantage of the additional resolution.

December 13, 2017 at 3:52AM

J Robbins

Its a bit of a double edge here. Sure, if you compare these exact parts, then it may be a good idea to go for the imac pro. But do you need these exact parts? Are they the best option for you? As someone who uses After Effects in depth, davinci resolve and premiere pro, these specs aren't by any means my 'perfect build', but...so much more expensive than my perfect build.

I just cant imagine ever spending 5k in a computer in which I cannot change a single thing. Nope...not for me...
(To be honest, the same goes for most of apple's equipment for me)

December 13, 2017 at 4:19AM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

Was that based on the $4999 price? I built out an equivalent 16 core PC vs the 14-core model of the imac pro and still saw a $3000 premium on the imac. Even then, I can use that $3K to buy a "beautiful" monitor that'll serve me well. Just doesn't seem worth it. I like apple hardware, but I cannot justify this with comparable PC builds at much lower prices. Their software better be optimized to the max to really sell this thing well.

December 14, 2017 at 2:45PM

RJ Ortiz
Cinematographer

It's a lovely machine that would probably last someone like me a decade, but I'm a little baffled by hearing the memory isn't user-upgradeable. Surely there must be some way to upgrade it? I want to know if I can buy one of these in five years for $1500 (when I can afford it) and soup it up :-P This is more power than I need. For now I'll stick with my 2013 Macbook, it handles 4K admirably and meets all my needs for the foreseeable future.

December 12, 2017 at 1:47PM

Noah Leon
Videographer editor

The lifespan of modern workstations is now five years or more with a little future-proofing and if key components can be upgraded. My i7 2011 MacBook Pro can edit low bit rate 4K and 1080P RAW, so I may get a full 10 years out of it.

December 12, 2017 at 3:19PM, Edited December 12, 3:46PM

Marc B
Shooter & Editor

None of of the bench scores I have seen show the old MacBook Pro 2013 beating the new MacBook Pros so I'm not sure where you are getting this information. Also, for the last time, CUDA is not better than Open CL can we move on from this nonsense.

December 12, 2017 at 8:59PM

Brad Jones
Director/Producer/Writer/Editor

thanks for sharing it. i really like it. always suckses.

December 12, 2017 at 11:45PM

Excellent news. Eventually something will start to happen!

December 13, 2017 at 8:39AM

Kajuski9
writer

I just want to point out that I just looked at Apple's website for the iMac Pro, and Hallelujah, the memory is socketed, so even if Apple doesn't say the memory is "user-upgradeable" it is at least "upgradeable" in the sense that anyone who has taken apart an iMac to, say, add an SSD (like I have) could potentially upgrade the RAM. In the case of my old 27" iMac, all it requires is patience (so much patience) and a clean environment free of cat hair and dust. I am optimistic that the new iMac will be similar. Heck, probably the CPU is socketed so that you can swap in the 18-core one in ten years when they're on eBay for $100. Don't lose heart, tinkerers, this is just another challenge. Or possibly you could send your iMac Pro to OWC or another service provider to have them do it if you have fear or unsteady hands.

December 13, 2017 at 5:41PM, Edited December 13, 5:43PM

Noah Leon
Videographer editor

one bad ass machine .... of course tricked out and you're looking at 10-12k ...ouch. What's the saying, if you can hang with the big dogs, get off the porch. And for those of you who are so broke dick you have to build your own PC, make your own light kits from Home Depot parts, and film in your basement when mom and dad are out of town etc......... spend that time and energy developing your craft, learning the business and honing your skills .... then you won't have time "play" in the noise.

December 18, 2017 at 2:10PM