Kodak Ups Price on Super8 Camera 4x to $2500

Credit: Kodak
Kodak's pricing on the new Super8 camera largely exceeds its original announcement.

Way back at CES 2016, Kodak announced that it was returning to Super8 not only with film stock, but also with a new camera. Designed by Yves Behar, it would be available for $400-$750, then eventually cheaper. The company is finally back with footage from the new camera, and a final price: four times the originally announced cost, now $2500.

The original announcement brought with it a lot of excitement from many corners of the industry, including studio level directors and the masses of us who just love film and shoot it when we can. However, the jump from $750 to $2500 is a major one.

A $400 camera would potentially be bought by a lot of people for occasional use—experimenting, travel, and pushing themselves. While $2500 isn't crazy, it's pricey enough that it really only makes sense for a tool you plan on using constantly, which, frankly, will get pretty expensive here once stock, processing and transfer/scanning are included. However, the camera has some key features, including a digital screen, an 11% wider gate than traditional film, and onboard audio, that may justify the price.

Super8 still has a lot of uses. Aside from it's "look," (which some say they can create digitally, while others say there is no matching), it's still got a beautiful archival quality. Even projects lost for decades can survive and get fired up in a projector and returned to their owner, which is of course hard with VHS-C or even sometimes Mini-DV tapes from more recent years. We're sincerely excited for the return of Super8mm, but $2500 feels awfully high, especially when you can still get the amazing Canon 814 for around $200.

For more check out the Kodak site.

Tech Specs

• Film Gauge: Super 8 (Extended Max-8 Gauge)
  • Film Load: Kodak Cartridges with 50ft (15m)
  • Variable Speed (9, 12, 18, 24, 25 fps) all with Crystal Sync
  • Mount: C-Mount
  • Fixed Ricoh 6mm 1.2, Optional 8-48mm Zoom Lens
  • Manual Focus and Iris
  • Viewfinder: 3.5" Display with Standard Definition Input & Swivels +/- 45 Degrees
  • Exposure Control: Built-in Light Meter for Supported Speeds of All Kodak Film Types, Manual Speed/Iris Settings
  • Integrated Battery and Charger via Standard USB Wall Adapter
  • Integrated Microphone
  • Control Panel: Via 3.5" TFT LCD

This is so frustrating. At $400 I would seriously consider buying one. At $2500, that's ridiculous. I can't justify buying a Super 8 camera that cost more than my GH5.

January 17, 2018 at 7:27AM, Edited January 17, 7:27AM

Alex Alva

......................................BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

January 17, 2018 at 7:31AM

Yeah, I've been waiting anxiously for news about this camera, and now have zero interest. I'd rather buy a nice lens for my GH5 for that price.

January 17, 2018 at 8:32AM

John Haas
Cinematographer

Wow...... you can literally buy a tested, working vintage camera on eBay for $100 and if you want to get creative with a bullet camera mounted over the viewfinder you can add video preview and recording for a few hundred more. This makes absolutely no sense. A bitcoin miner at CES and now this? It's been nice knowing you, Kodak.

January 17, 2018 at 9:03AM

Brandon Osterman
Filmmaker

I barely got myself to spend $2500 on my A7Sii. Yikes Kodak.

January 17, 2018 at 10:28AM

Pat Heine
Producer.

Kodak should rather globally offer:
- cheaper 35mm film (it is expensive!!!!)
- with a bound service for film development and
- digitizing per can.

January 17, 2018 at 11:48AM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator/Owner

I am convinced that if your digital camera could only produced this "film" look, you would throw it away. The film look can be approximated or possibly duplicated with post processing, but a super 8 film camera can never look better than this. $2500? Ridiculous.

As far as "artistic" value, I realize that opinion is all that matters, but to me it is a case of the Emperor's New Clothes. In some respects it may just be a case of nostalgia, but whenever I see film images, I am just reminded of how horrible film was for your typical photographer or filmmaker.

An exception would be the work of the best cinematographers on 35mm film with tens of thousands of dollars in lighting equipment, etc.

January 17, 2018 at 2:03PM

Anyone interested in shooting Super8 should check out the link below. This team is working on digital Super8 cartridges that can fit into vintage cameras! I'd be interested in this approach, money and time saver.

January 17, 2018 at 5:38PM, Edited January 17, 5:39PM

But this again is only digitally captured and not on real film that is scanned after. There is a huge difference. Even the footage they show is far away from true 8mm film.

January 18, 2018 at 6:06AM, Edited January 18, 6:06AM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator/Owner

It's not going to completely replicate Super 8 film of course, but now you get to mess around with a lot of old cameras and lenses without wasting so much money on processing. I find it pretty interesting in that sense.

February 7, 2018 at 10:33PM

John Haas
Cinematographer

The very first cameras I ever used were Kodak. If I had a dollar for ever picture that I've taken on Kodak film and later enjoyed printed on Kodak paper I'd be filthy rich. This is for people who spend hundreds of dollars on ripped up jeans and chain-whipped boutique guitars. A sad story.

January 18, 2018 at 5:02AM

chip brandstetter
Filmmaker, Editor, Animator, Sound Design, Composer

"...And with these words from thy press release - it sunk into the depths of obscurity and irrelevance. A mere sad anecdote, soon to be forgotten by everyone."
Come on Kodak. Get your shit together. Might be too late, though.

January 18, 2018 at 9:40AM

Gleb Volkov
Director of Photography

Yay everyone films with the GH5 or A7S according to these comments (◔_◔)

January 18, 2018 at 9:05PM

Emil
Content

lmaooo yeah right .

January 19, 2018 at 11:47AM

hazem

KODAK SHOT THEMSELVES IN THE FOOT.

Even if they priced the camera lower and broke even they’d make TONS more because everyone would likely be buying Kodak film. I was going to buy one of these but now I’m going to stick to my Beaulieu 6008s.

The other problem is that super 8 isn’t good enough to make a full film on, like super 16 is. This is more for smaller and short projects and I just don’t see this working out at all now simply based on their pricing.

January 19, 2018 at 12:02PM

100% makes no sense. I'd rather put my money on kodak blockchain. And that's coming from someone who occasionally shoots on 8mm and 16mm. There are so many still functional super8 and reg8 cameras available for less than $50. Buy the real thing, it's cheaper and fun to learn its limitations.

January 19, 2018 at 1:58PM, Edited January 19, 1:58PM

Joe Lalonde
Poser / Fraud / Hack

Save yourself the trouble and buy a BMPCC or BMMCC.

January 19, 2018 at 12:30PM

Christoffer Engdahl
Filmmaker

well, that's a bummer.

January 19, 2018 at 12:33PM

héloïse chung
Director

I kinda get why people would waste good money on a Digital Bolex, for example.

But this ?

Someone at Kodak figured it was a bad idea, hence the price hike: return on investment, I guess.

January 19, 2018 at 1:29PM

Maybe after the
kodacoin cashes in ....then maybe? kinda pricey?!

January 19, 2018 at 1:43PM

I'm curious... exactly how long has Jim Jannard been the CEO of Kodak?

January 19, 2018 at 2:36PM, Edited January 19, 2:39PM

Zan Shin

Just cut the screen and sound. Who needs that shit?!
Super 8 sound was always horrible, mostly because of the racket of the motor going off right next to the mic.
Put in sync for a sound recorder if need be. Then people can supply their own. Sound recording is cheap and plentiful these days.
If you want to look at a small glare prone, non daylight screen get a digital camera.

Just concentrate on making the best possible film transport in a small serviceable unit and put a good lens on it.
The lens is really very important for whether you are going to get sub VHS quality or near 4K, because of the tiny sliver of celluloid it has to shrink the picture to.
The smalle the sensor the better the lens has to be.

January 19, 2018 at 2:49PM

Nice Post - walmartone

January 20, 2018 at 7:34AM

At $2500 This product is DOA. Just like Kodak.

January 19, 2018 at 4:02PM, Edited January 19, 4:09PM

Well, does this mean that Kodak will also bring back Kodachrome? I thought not. That would be the only thing I would ever want to run through a Super 8 camera.

January 19, 2018 at 11:01PM, Edited January 19, 11:01PM

this is so expensive but i will try to buy this product to the market. can you also help me to rank this website? thank you for your help http://csr2hack.racing/

January 20, 2018 at 3:31AM

marh phillip
seo specialist

Is this part of a plan to make Kodak go bankrupt again? It was already expensive at $750, but $2500, in this day and age of affordable 4K cameras? They must be joking...

January 21, 2018 at 5:36PM, Edited January 21, 5:36PM