April 2, 2018

Shoot Two Angles at Once With New Sony Cable

Sony cable
The VMC-MM2 release cable syncs Sony's RX0 with any of its Alpha line or Cyber-Shot cameras.

Sony launched the RX0 last year to mixed reviews. Marketed more as a compact production camera than anything else, the diminutive RX0 inevitably drew comparisons to GoPro’s deep arsenal of action cameras. The RX0 has yet to make its name as the go-to GoPro-killing action cam many had hoped it would be, but naysayers would do well to recall that the RX0 wasn’t created solely to compete in the action space.

With Sony’s new VMC-MM2 release cable announced this week, a hot shoe-mounted RX0 can be quickly and easily tethered to the control camera to provide for concurrent dual camera video or still photography capture of the same subject, or a mixed motion/still capture with potential for additional optical divergence in focus, depth of field, frame rate, and myriad other variations.

Dual-camera shooting is especially beneficial for event and press photographers and documentary filmmakers; via the VMC-MM2, the RX0 can capture multiple perspectives using different angles of view that can be edited and packaged into an impactful series of work. For instance, pair it with a wide lens, mount it on top of your A7S, and get close-ups with your main camera while you get a wide angle you can always cut to with your top camera.

Available for pre-order now for $48, shipping in May.

Tech Specs

• Compatibility: Sony RX0, Alpha series
  • Cable Length:
    • Coiled: 8.75" / 22 cm
    • Extended: 19.75" / 50 cm
  • Weight: 0.2 oz / 5.7 g

Is anyone doing anything like this now with another setup? Think you might actually implement this in your next live event, or even a narrative shoot? Let us know in the comments.

Not a bad idea.

April 2, 2018 at 9:55AM

Charles Duoto
Floor Director

This isn't an April fools joke?

April 2, 2018 at 11:57AM

Matthias Claflin
Videographer

I've been shooting like this for a few months without the cable. Not sure why I'd spend $50 on this when I can just press the button. Plus more cables.

April 2, 2018 at 3:45PM

Seth Reiber
Videographer

I don’t think I’d shoot a live event with the a7 cameras— I’d prefer a video camera with a live Ethernet or WiFi output.

For “production” I’m sure there’s a situation where this makes sense, but I can’t quite think of one, especially since this camera doesn’t record in 4K, and even more, because the “look” from its small sensor would be so different from video captured on a 35mm FF sensor.

Maybe tutorial videos or instructional videos— but in that case the GoPro 6 at $399 seems like a much better option.

Maybe version 2 will make more sense to its general audience.

April 2, 2018 at 4:47PM

I saw people using that kind of setup on press event, I tried it myself but I found the idea not as efficient as expected as you have to adjust the angle of the top camera all the time as a nice position for a close up doesn't especially give a good wide shot. It can be usefull for an interview setup but I wouldn't advise it for run and gun

April 4, 2018 at 1:26PM

AvdS

I wonder if one could shoot 4k and punch in.... oh well, this setup seems less complicated.

April 4, 2018 at 2:21PM