June 29, 2018

You Can Finally Send Your Footage Faster with the Help of Masv.io

With pricing and tools designed for media professionals, Masv is a service many of us have been waiting for.

Students ask us all the time, "What service should I use for sending lots of footage over the internet," and usually we respond, "Buy a thumb drive and use the mail." Sending big chunks of footage over the internet just doesn't work that well.

Countless times throughout our careers, we've had to stare at the progress bar of an upload, wishing it could go faster, constantly checking the upload speed against our peak bandwidth with SpeedTest, driven insane that the files didn't just fire off.  We've driven (or taken the train) to other facilities and paid to use their faster internet, still to ultimately be frustrated. We then tried Masv

Credit: Masv

We recently had 73GB of dailies to deliver to an editor, and after emailing back-and-forth attempting to figure out how to get a hard drive handed over, we remembering hearing about a new, faster service. We decided to give it a shot.

We signed up for an account, and approximately 60 minutes later, 73GB had been sucked up to the cloud. For comparison sake, that same 73GB over the same network took about 200 minutes—or more than 3 times as long—to upload to Dropbox, which is normally our preferred delivery method. We're reporting that time to be fair to Dropbox, but we've actually had Dropbox be unpredictably slower at times.

We've had times where we tried to send 200GB through Dropbox and it reported "16-18 remain" for 2-3 days straight.  Dropbox is wonderful and we use it every day, but certainly not for delivery dailies. We ended up giving up and shipping a drive. For that type of thing we're going to use Masv now.

To be clear, Masv.io isn't trying to do what Dropbox does.  You can't let your files live there forever, it's not got team sharing and collaboration tools, it does a different thing.  But it does that thing it does faster.  More than three times as fast.  Which, if you are delivering a lot of video online, is amazing.  We emailed the editor, she downloaded the footage and was editing without a hiccup.

Masv got Servers in different area codesCredit: Masv

Masv.io pricing is built around the delivery model where you pay by the GB instead of via a subscription model. You get a free chunk when you sign up, but it comes with a time window; you have to use it in 14 days, which forces you to test the service quickly to see how great it is.

You can brand your delivery with your companies logo if handing over to clients, as the company has an online calculator to estimate timing. There is no limit on what you can send and up to 50 downloads per delivery.  The "pay as you go" model is great for filmmakers, which was a deliberate choice according to their blog, since they understand that "in the media and entertainment space, business is usually project based and their monthly transfer volume tends to fluctuate drastically from month to month."

Our main question at this point is how do we pronounce it (we only found out that "Final Cut Pro X" is pronounced "ten" this year).?Is it "mashv," (all one word?) "mass-V," or "maas-V,"? Could you pronounce the "io?"  It turns out, after a bit of research, that it is "Massive," which we never would've guessed. It will work, though, better than others such as "YouSendIt," who was an early player in the "sending stuff online" market, and while it struggled for a lot of reasons, the awkwardness of saying "Can You 'YouSendIt' it to me" was undoubtedly part of it. We do need to do know how to say "Oh, just mass-iv it to me," Because the service is just so good, we want to get its name right.

Head over to the Masv.io site for more.

Tech Specs:

• Up to 1GB/s throughout, up to 3X as fast as Dropbox
  • Servers in Washington, San Jose, Sao Paulo, Amsterdam, London, Mumbai, Singapore, Tokyo, and Sydney
  • Branded upload and delivery pages

I like their Portals. When we have a freelance shooter I can send them a Portal link, they can upload, then I can download. The billing stays on our end and the shooter doesn't need plugins. It's a big win.

June 29, 2018 at 11:03AM

Did some tests this afternoon with a 15G file from Hong Kong
Upload was just perfect with 20 MB/s Uplink...
But download was ridiculously slow with 5M/s only...

Not so impressed.

June 30, 2018 at 5:13AM

visionrouge.com
DoP freelance cameraman 4K HK & Shanghai.

Hello. I manage product for MASV.io. Thank you for making me aware. I have our engineering team looking into why your performance was slow for that download. We have a big upgrade coming to the network in the next week that should fix this issue and improve download speeds in Hong Kong. I will let you know when it's deployed and am happy to offer you more test data to retry. Thank you.

June 30, 2018 at 8:53AM

I'm in Hong Kong as well and would really appreciate an update so this is more usable here. Do let us know when the issue has been resolved. Seems like a great product to use for my productions.

June 30, 2018 at 11:06PM

Ricky
Director/DP

Google Drive. Unlimited bandwidth. Faster than anyone.

July 1, 2018 at 7:38AM

Lainol

I've never pulled a couple hundred Mbps down from Google Drive's web client. Masv varies quite a bit for me. 200Mbps on a bad day and 600Mbps on a good one. That's on gigabit.

Real bonus of masv for me is the simplicity. No folders, no applications, no permissions, no folders, just fast transfers.

If Google Drive is working for you go for it. We have G-Suite, but still use masv. It's dead simple and cheap.

July 2, 2018 at 12:26PM

How does the speed compare with Frame.io? Frame.io's website claims 3 min upload based on 5GB file compared to Dropbox's 16 minutes for the same file which is much faster than what MASV.io is claiming but I haven't compared them head to head.

July 3, 2018 at 4:20PM

I'm an Editor and most of my clients are abroad, most of them use We Transfer.
I'll definitely be testing this.

July 4, 2018 at 8:35AM

Abdelrahim Kattab
Film Editor

I use WeTransfer too and am very happy with it. I'll be interested to see what sort of speed differences you get.
At the end of the day it's just a case of how much of your bandwidth you can use, as you aren't magically getting more from somewhere by using some new service, which is partly how close the storage is (vs. appears to be) and partly if they limit you at all (perhaps simply as they are busy).

July 7, 2018 at 3:28AM

I just did a test with Frame.io vs. MASV on a shoot in Brazil. They weren't exactly the same but we did the following:

- Frame, 3clips (66gb) -> about 18h to upload and about 10h to download
- MASV, 1 folder/card 1 (85gb) -> about 21h to upload and about 13h to download

My plan is to therefore to use Frame and/or upload via FTP directly to our server which I would imagine would be about 2x as fast because we wouldn't need to upload and download, we'd only need to upload!

July 10, 2018 at 11:46AM, Edited July 10, 11:46AM

Yeah, but how much does it cost? What's the bottom line. I hate it when someone says try this you'll like it then doesn't give any pricing.

Forget it....