June 21, 2018

Here's How to Upload Long-Form Content to Instagram's New IGTV Platform

Instagram IGTV Video Settings
It looks like vertical video is here to stay.

Instagram just introduced IGTV, an all-new tool giving users the option to upload long-form vertical videos. IGTV is available within the standard Instagram app as well as its own standalone app for both iOS and Android. The good news? You can now upload videos easily via your desktop. Let’s take a closer look at the specifics.

Getting Set up

To upload a video you’ll first need to create an IGTV channel, which is quite easy. In fact, Instagram gives you three different ways to start your channel—via the Instagram app, the IGTV app, or on Instagram’s website. Simply follow the onscreen instructions to get everything finalized.

Just as with setting up your channel, you can upload videos via the mobile apps or directly on Instagram’s website. The web upload feature is particularly cool, as uploading videos via a desktop prior to IGTV was quite difficult. Now it’s as simple as going to your profile, clicking on the IGTV tab and selecting Upload

IGTV has a handful of cool features, including custom thumbnail uploads, the ability to save drafts, share to Facebook, and view insights. The real selling point is the fact that users can now upload long-form videos, up to an hour in length. But again, these videos must be vertical. While this might rub some people the wrong way, Instagram argues that IGTV is built for “how you actually use your phone.” And according to them, that is fullscreen and vertical. Sorry, Glove and Boots

What do you think? Will you go with the vertical flow? Either way, here are the tech specs for video uploads. If you'd rather not tinker with the settings, I have two IGTV export presets available for Adobe Premiere Pro users. For more information on Instagram's IGTV, go here

Tech Specs

• Video Format
    • MP4
  • Length
    • 15 seconds - 10 minutes for smaller accounts
    • 15 seconds - 1 hour for larger accounts and verified accounts
  • Aspect Ratio
    • Vertical Videos Only
    • Minimum aspect ratio - 4:5
    • Maximum aspect ratio - 9:16
  • File Size
    • Maximum file size for videos less than 10 minutes - 650MB
    • Maximum file size for videos up to 60 minutes - 5.4GB

To clarify, for most users, there is a 10-minute limit.

Large accounts and verified members are the only ones who can upload up to 1 hour.

June 21, 2018 at 7:31PM

Pat Heine
Producer.

Ah yeah, thanks for this guys. My mistake. I'll edit to clarify in the video and article. Thanks again!

June 22, 2018 at 2:40AM

Jason Boone
Writer
Video Producer

It said 10 minute time limit in the video not 1 hour.

June 21, 2018 at 8:02PM, Edited June 21, 8:02PM

Walter Wallace
Spokesperson/Entrepreneur

Yeah apologies, my mistake. I'll edit to clarify in the video and article. Thanks again, Walter!

June 22, 2018 at 3:40AM

Jason Boone
Writer
Video Producer

No mention of monetization.

No revenue-sharing in the ads that are sure to come.

What y’all think? I believe Facebook never committed to paying for content put on that platform either.

June 21, 2018 at 8:37PM

Freddy Long
Writer-Director

Vertical video is fine for shorter clips, but I find it starts to feel claustrophobic after a while... like wearing blinkers to block peripheral vision.

Our eyes are side-by-side, so it's natural for us to see wider than taller (for most people it's roughly a lumpy 5:3 oval). However, we're also lazy, lazy animals, so it's more convenient to hold your phone in one hand.

Personally, I think phone manufacturers *should* have used multi-aspect sensors, and kept the video orientated horizontally, even if the phone is held vertically.

However... they didn't... so lets see how much traction this gets!

June 22, 2018 at 8:50AM

Alex Kalimát
Photographer ~ Filmmaker

I equate vertical video with idiots.

June 22, 2018 at 11:10AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

I equate statements like yours with people who are locked in old ways... you know... dinosaurs :)

June 23, 2018 at 3:54PM

Mitch Aunger
owner planet5D.com

Thanks Mitch. I'd rather be a dinosaur than an idiot.

June 24, 2018 at 10:56AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

I'm very excited about the prospect of vertical video. It throws a wrench in so many of the techniques we take for granted.

How do you frame a close up? How do you shoot a dinner table scene? How do you block an action sequence?

It's a gimmick that I doubt will take on, but any opportunity to play with the form is a good one.

June 22, 2018 at 11:53AM

Joseph Elliott
Director of Photography, , Director, Editor, Composer

Gimmick? I wrote about vertical videos back in 2010. Not going away and only getting stronger.

June 23, 2018 at 3:55PM

Mitch Aunger
owner planet5D.com

I'm not sure if I'm crazy or not, but you can just upload a video sideways, right?
So if you rotate your phone, you get 16:9 video in landscape... Anyone?

June 23, 2018 at 8:04PM, Edited June 23, 8:04PM

Franky Hill
Director - Writer - Producer

Yes, that is possible.

July 4, 2018 at 8:48AM, Edited July 4, 8:48AM

Premiere Gal
Creator of Premiere Gal

If you find the answer to this please let me know. Thanks!

July 23, 2018 at 9:08PM

Rob Feakins
Founder of For All Humankind Director/Filmmaker

Thanks for the video. I noticed some people are taking the IGTV landscape view 9x16 and turning it horizontally versus vertically. How do you do that in premier pro with your preset?

July 23, 2018 at 1:15PM